• Aug 16th, 2017 5:16 pm
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
8902 posts
720 upvotes
GTA
gr8dlr wrote:
Jul 7th, 2017 10:24 am
Pricing at Adamson is too high in my opinion.
The brisket was really good. It gives me something to aspire to.

I ended up ordering one platter for 2 for myself as I was off work one day during the week and went by. I ended up eating as much as I could and still had a bunch left over which I ate for dinner. The platter price isn't too bad. You can also order in advance for pickup if you order over $100 of food which helps with skipping the line. I think my ribs are better than theirs but their brisket is the best I have ever had (I also tried brisket from their food truck years back and at the time it was the best brisket I had ever had).
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2401 posts
215 upvotes
Newfie brisket.
Big ass wax bologna smoked over hickory @ 250 for about 2 1/2 hours.
Smooth and amazing - especially the next day, cut thick, fried and then placed on chemical white bread with yellow mustard.

It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Apr 6, 2004
394 posts
29 upvotes
YLSF wrote:
Jul 7th, 2017 3:00 pm
The brisket was really good. It gives me something to aspire to.

I ended up ordering one platter for 2 for myself as I was off work one day during the week and went by. I ended up eating as much as I could and still had a bunch left over which I ate for dinner. The platter price isn't too bad. You can also order in advance for pickup if you order over $100 of food which helps with skipping the line. I think my ribs are better than theirs but their brisket is the best I have ever had (I also tried brisket from their food truck years back and at the time it was the best brisket I had ever had).
Agree about their brisket. I don't even want to try smoking my own any more because they make it so much better and I have no idea what the secret is. They also sell whole brisket frozen at $20/lb. I wonder how that tastes when reheated.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3157 posts
1155 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
raymondly wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 6:29 pm
Newfie brisket.
Smooth and amazing - especially the next day, cut thick, fried and then placed on chemical white bread with yellow mustard.

I prefer my fried bologna sandwiches on toasted (buttered) white bread with ketchup:)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5654 posts
258 upvotes
BC
Smoked boneless rib steaks. Hickory chips, the traegar on high, 10mins a side, 1min a side on a hot grill. Finished it with some blue cheese butter.
IMG_1922.JPG
IMG_1924.JPG
IMG_1926.JPG
IMG_1935.JPG
Last edited by Keelie on Aug 6th, 2017 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36151 posts
2269 upvotes
Toronto
raymondly wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 6:29 pm
Newfie brisket.

Those are good...
My partner makes that sometimes (raised out east). But in the oven. And treated like a dinner meal. With some sort of potatoes and veggies on the side. Usually just frozen peas & veggie mix.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16827 posts
1776 upvotes
GTA West
Long weekend == Strip Loin

I seasoned overnight using freshly cracked pepper and Himalayan pink salt. Superbly delicious. And yes, the pink salt does make a difference versus regular kosher salt.

Image:
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5017 posts
536 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
Beef ribs are tough. They will respond to 20 min. steaming or pressure cooking before they hit the grill.

Packard
Ask the man who owns one!
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2007
3666 posts
189 upvotes
This thread is awesome. I just got a wood pellet BBQ on the weekend and I've never used one before. The process is pretty intimidating. Any advice for a newbie? Thinking brisket may be my first challenge.
Proud member of SENS Army
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2401 posts
215 upvotes
mself084 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 12:42 pm
This thread is awesome. I just got a wood pellet BBQ on the weekend and I've never used one before. The process is pretty intimidating. Any advice for a newbie? Thinking brisket may be my first challenge.
Brisket should be your test after a good bunch of smokes. Not only is temp important and can be a costly mistake (I did one this weekend 6lb for 50$...it was fantastic though)
Start off slow and easy with pulled pork - cheap and good. Get a good quality thermometer to monitor internal temp (not cook to time).
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2007
3666 posts
189 upvotes
raymondly wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 1:31 pm
Brisket should be your test after a good bunch of smokes. Not only is temp important and can be a costly mistake (I did one this weekend 6lb for 50$...it was fantastic though)
Start off slow and easy with pulled pork - cheap and good. Get a good quality thermometer to monitor internal temp (not cook to time).
Exactly the type of advice I was looking for! Thanks. Any recommendations for a thermometer?
Proud member of SENS Army
Oct 10, 2004
698 posts
81 upvotes
Winnipeg
I agree with raymondly- pulled pork is the most forgiving meat to start with. This way you can learn how your cooker behaves and have a tasty meal. As for thermometer, you want something like this.
Dec 2, 2006
178 posts
28 upvotes
Ottawa
raymondly wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 1:31 pm
Should try Costco - the brisket is $9.99/kg (~$4.50/lb).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5654 posts
258 upvotes
BC
valve wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 6:03 pm
Should try Costco - the brisket is $9.99/kg (~$4.50/lb).
Our Costco has never sold brisket, I wish!!
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4430 posts
751 upvotes
Markham
velomane wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 3:03 pm
I agree with raymondly- pulled pork is the most forgiving meat to start with. This way you can learn how your cooker behaves and have a tasty meal. As for thermometer, you want something like this.
Although pulled pork is good. I'd start with the "cheap and fast" Chicken legs/thighs/wings or even split half chicken first as you can be eating in a hour or so.

After that first cook, try other reasonably fast cooks like Atomic Buffalo turds, Fatties, burgers, prime rib roasts etc. Once you're comfortable with those, move onto longer cooks like brisket or pulled pork. Fast cooks will please most if not all people and no one (ie significant others/family) will be complaining about how long it takes to cook and get eat something. If you try a pulled pork first and you call people over for 6 pm dinner and dinner isn't ready until 9, you got a problem!

Enjoy your pellet cooker.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

Drakestar