Food & Drink

Post Pics of Your BBQ'd Food Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2017 11:18 pm
Jan 4, 2017
116 posts
35 upvotes
Hey guys another bbq question. Couple of buddies and I are getting some wagyu 16 oz rib eyes this weekend. What's the best way to cook on the grill?
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2007
3660 posts
176 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 10:20 am
Although pulled pork is good. I'd start with the "cheap and fast" Chicken legs/thighs/wings or even split half chicken first as you can be eating in a hour or so.

After that first cook, try other reasonably fast cooks like Atomic Buffalo turds, Fatties, burgers, prime rib roasts etc. Once you're comfortable with those, move onto longer cooks like brisket or pulled pork. Fast cooks will please most if not all people and no one (ie significant others/family) will be complaining about how long it takes to cook and get eat something. If you try a pulled pork first and you call people over for 6 pm dinner and dinner isn't ready until 9, you got a problem!

Enjoy your pellet cooker.
Great advice, thanks.

I'm going to check out a local butcher on Saturday and get a "grab bag" of meats to experiment with (whole chicken, pork shoulder, sausages) and see how it goes. Very intimidating as I've been cooking on propane for the last 7 years (my first BBQ)... the types of wood, cooking temps/times, dry rubs, bbq sauces, etc are mostly new to me. I'm excited to learn.

Will pick up a meat thermometer and report back.
Proud member of SENS Army
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5685 posts
269 upvotes
BC
mself084 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 2:12 pm
Great advice, thanks.

I'm going to check out a local butcher on Saturday and get a "grab bag" of meats to experiment with (whole chicken, pork shoulder, sausages) and see how it goes. Very intimidating as I've been cooking on propane for the last 7 years (my first BBQ)... the types of wood, cooking temps/times, dry rubs, bbq sauces, etc are mostly new to me. I'm excited to learn.

Will pick up a meat thermometer and report back.
When I first started smoking I googled what I was cooking and then read for days, different times, temps, chips, etc.. gives you a good idea for starting. Every cook gets better, you learn as you go.

Now I make my own rub and bbq sauces, know which wood flavour I like for the different types of meat I'm cooking. I like to smoke steaks, burgers, chickens and turkeys at a higher temp and keep the low and slow for ribs, roasts, etc. On the slower ones I like to add a container of water on the grill to add some moisture.

What kind of pellet grill did you get?
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2007
3660 posts
176 upvotes
Thx for tips! I got a Pit Boss 820 pellet BBQ. Looks awesome, was a surprise gift from in-laws while at Cabela's.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2401 posts
220 upvotes
My brisket with just salt/pepper on the outside from the weekend. 230F until 195 (took about 9 hours - not sure if there was a stall as I was out for a couple of hours) smoked over pecan and a bit of mesquite. Took it off and wrapped in foil for 2 hours. Sliced and devoured - amazing.
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2401 posts
220 upvotes
mself084 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 7:27 pm
Thx for tips! I got a Pit Boss 820 pellet BBQ. Looks awesome, was a surprise gift from in-laws while at Cabela's.
Shhh - don't tell my wife but that is my next one....
Nov 20, 2008
622 posts
118 upvotes
Markham
Beef short ribs (Korean for the individuals and Texas for the full rack) and chicken.
20170807_120715.jpg
20170807_184907.jpg
20170807_190936.jpg
20170807_201647.jpg
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2401 posts
220 upvotes
A couple of roasts, corn, sausage and for s's and g's a beer can cabbage (I had to do something with the can of Bud I had)
Used olive oil and Montreal chicken seasoning - it was incredible. The outside got crispy and the inside was tender.
Had time so I did baked beans on the smoker. Onions, kielbasa, black beans, molasses, brown sugar smoked with cherry. They are good for your heart...
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2007
3660 posts
176 upvotes
Thanks for the tips, all! Forgot to take photos (ugh) but I tried two whole chickens and a pork shoulder over the weekend. Turned out amazing! The only thing I'd change is to take the pork out a bit earlier than I did... was a tiny bit tougher than I wanted. What temp do you guys usually cook to? Online I'm seeing anywhere from 210F (!!!) to 140F.
Oct 10, 2004
707 posts
82 upvotes
Winnipeg
I take my shoulder out at 195F. What temp was yours? Tougher can mean underdone, if your intention is pulled pork.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2007
3660 posts
176 upvotes
velomane wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 3:18 pm
I take my shoulder out at 195F. What temp was yours? Tougher can mean underdone, if your intention is pulled pork.
180. I thought more cooking meant tougher? Good to know!
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
3835 posts
465 upvotes
Aurora
mself084 wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 4:23 pm
There are a few recommended temperatures but the most often used pull temp is 190-195, IMO. The internal temp can "stall" for quite a while at 160-180 but the generally accepted method as I understand it is to get beyond this stall point before the pork is considered done.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5685 posts
269 upvotes
BC
mself084 wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 4:23 pm
If you are cooking low and slow nothing is tough. Chicken, turkey and steaks are the only things I cook at a higher temp. Poultry soaks up the smoke quickly so it does not need to cook for long periods, and if there is skin it gets rubbery at a low temp.

225 is what I do my slower cooks at, ribs, pulled pork, etc... beef roasts I turn it up a bit more to 300-325, chicken and turkey 350 and i do my steaks and wings on high.. you just have to work out times.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2401 posts
220 upvotes
The other thing to remember besides all of the above - when it gets to temp, take it off the grill, wrap in foil and let it rest. It will stay plenty hot under foil. Half an hour is ok, an hour is better. Let all that chemistry that has been going on in that meat calm down and relax before pulling/cutting etc.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4528 posts
789 upvotes
Markham
How long did you cook that beer can cabbage for?

Suggest you get skewers and put them thru the bottom of corn/jalapenos/potato wedges or other veggies that can be skewered and then stick em into the cabbage...you can call it the veggie tree.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!