Food & Drink

Post Pics of Your BBQ'd Food Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2018 2:20 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
5653 posts
837 upvotes
I love the discussions, don't get me wrong, but there isn't nearly enough pictures of bbq food in this pictures of bbq food thread these days.

:)
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2454 posts
260 upvotes
Whitby
gr8dlr wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 10:41 am
How long did you cook that beer can cabbage for?

Suggest you get skewers and put them thru the bottom of corn/jalapenos/potato wedges or other veggies that can be skewered and then stick em into the cabbage...you can call it the veggie tree.
It was on for about 3 hours - pulled at an internal temp of 180F...
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2454 posts
260 upvotes
Whitby
Gutty96 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 5:16 pm
I love the discussions, don't get me wrong, but there isn't nearly enough pictures of bbq food in this pictures of bbq food thread these days.

:)
Did these on the weekend. Just chicken legs smoked over apple (I used them for enchiladas later) but the appetizer was the bacon wrapped pickles (also smoked over apple)
The were amazing. Juicy and crispy as all get out.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5821 posts
314 upvotes
BC
Smoked some salmon this morning... In brine for 24hrs and then smoked @200 with apple wood. Delicious!!
IMG_4293.JPG
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9529 posts
1748 upvotes
Toronto
Keelie wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 10:04 pm
Smoked some salmon this morning... In brine for 24hrs and then smoked @200 with apple wood. Delicious!!

IMG_4293.JPG
Nice! Check out my maple glazed salmon candy.
Images
  • IMG_9483.JPG
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5821 posts
314 upvotes
BC
4flava wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 11:16 am
Nice! Check out my maple glazed salmon candy.
Looks good. Is it smoked?
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2454 posts
260 upvotes
Whitby
About 2 weeks ago - smoked (with pecan wood) cabbage rolls. Incredible.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2454 posts
260 upvotes
Whitby
Did a boneless prime rib roast on the weekend using pecan and mesquite. Held 300f no problem and pulled at about 120 (to let rest until med rare). Everybody else packed it in due to cold?....
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5821 posts
314 upvotes
BC
I did a Prime Rib last night for dinner, took about 3 hours in our freezing temps of -15. Seasoned with salt and pepper and rubbed with a mix of fresh thyme, rosemary, garlic, mixed with oil and dijon, smoked with hickory. No way oven cooking can achieve flavour as good as the smoker gives you.
Images
  • 26234339_10156117615201518_661574926_n.jpg
  • 26510962_10156117615136518_1251152063_o.jpg
  • 26543668_10156117615116518_1390724689_o.jpg
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5295 posts
1078 upvotes
Markham
raymondly wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 5:15 pm
Did a boneless prime rib roast on the weekend using pecan and mesquite. Held 300f no problem and pulled at about 120 (to let rest until med rare). Everybody else packed it in due to cold?....
Must have been hard keeping the beer cold eh! Lol.
It's a bit too cold for me to go out and cook... Using my oven helps keep the house warm.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3295 posts
147 upvotes
Adelaide
gr8dlr wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 10:37 pm
Must have been hard keeping the beer cold eh! Lol.
It's a bit too cold for me to go out and cook... Using my oven helps keep the house warm.
I miss cooking out in the cold and snow actually! I like the contrast of it being cold as hell outside and the heat generated by the BBQ. It's like huddling around a nice campfire.

Had a go at a full brisket again. Did it with just salt and pepper rub and put it on around 1:30am but got tired and just went to bed when I had the smoker locked in around 200 which was lower than I wanted. Foiled it for a few hours at around noon, then took off at 3pm to finish off. Took it off at 6pm with the internal temp at 190.

Turned out pretty good. Still think it was a little over done/dry as the corners of some of my slices were kind of falling apart when slicing.

Oct 10, 2004
743 posts
90 upvotes
Winnipeg
That smoke ring looks amazing. What was the price per pound? It can be as much as $6 here in Winnipeg.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5295 posts
1078 upvotes
Markham
BongoBong wrote:
Feb 25th, 2018 4:55 am
I miss cooking out in the cold and snow actually! I like the contrast of it being cold as hell outside and the heat generated by the BBQ. It's like huddling around a nice campfire.

Had a go at a full brisket again. Did it with just salt and pepper rub and put it on around 1:30am but got tired and just went to bed when I had the smoker locked in around 200 which was lower than I wanted. Foiled it for a few hours at around noon, then took off at 3pm to finish off. Took it off at 6pm with the internal temp at 190.

Turned out pretty good. Still think it was a little over done/dry as the corners of some of my slices were kind of falling apart when slicing.

Nice. I've only made brisket a couple of times but I don't have the patience for these full day cooks especially because I cook on a cheap charcoal water setup.

What I've done is smoke for only a few hours (most of the smoke is in by then), I then cheat by using the "crutch" and foil it and continue for a couple of more hours (some foil and put it in their oven at a higher temp to speed up cooking). I find by the 5 or 6 hour mark, it's ready to eat.

I believe cooking like this actually ends up less dry on the corners as you noted.

Last note, it looks like a flat you cooked. If you can choose your meat, look for the point end which I find much juicier. Flats tend to get dry imo.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3295 posts
147 upvotes
Adelaide
velomane wrote:
Feb 25th, 2018 8:13 am
That smoke ring looks amazing. What was the price per pound? It can be as much as $6 here in Winnipeg.
It was $10.99/kg here which is as cheap as I have ever seen it here in Australia.
gr8dlr wrote:
Feb 25th, 2018 11:05 am
Nice. I've only made brisket a couple of times but I don't have the patience for these full day cooks especially because I cook on a cheap charcoal water setup.

What I've done is smoke for only a few hours (most of the smoke is in by then), I then cheat by using the "crutch" and foil it and continue for a couple of more hours (some foil and put it in their oven at a higher temp to speed up cooking). I find by the 5 or 6 hour mark, it's ready to eat.

I believe cooking like this actually ends up less dry on the corners as you noted.

Last note, it looks like a flat you cooked. If you can choose your meat, look for the point end which I find much juicier. Flats tend to get dry imo.
Yeah I have heard of people doing the whole cook at around 350 with good results. Will have to try at some point.

Cooked the whole brisket, so flat and point together. Was thinking about separating and cooking that way but decided just easier to cook it all together. Would have also needed to use both levels on my smoker but I wanted one for a drip/water pan. I definitely do like the points with the extra fattiness in them. Just started getting into the fatter section with the point and flat together and its definitely a bit juicier. In the future if I do it the same may cut off the thinner end to use for things like chili and keep the thicker portion for slicing to eat.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1025 posts
286 upvotes
London
velomane wrote:
Feb 25th, 2018 8:13 am
I don't think that $6/pound is horrible, but not great either. I bought one around Christmas time at our small town abattoir (just outside London, ON) charged me $5.99/pound. I tried to get one at Sobeys since it is closer, but they didn't carry it. The Sobeys guy said they don't really sell well, but would order a box in for me (four briskets) if I wanted them all or have people to share with.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)