Food & Drink

Post Pics of Your BBQ'd Food Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2018 4:54 pm
Dec 26, 2007
80 posts
22 upvotes
Here are some smoked wings with crispy skin!! It's taken me forever to achieve non-rubber skin with smoked chicken. Virtually impossible to do on a WSM. I upgraded to a Backwoods and here is the result. These are dizzypig wings.

Oct 10, 2004
754 posts
98 upvotes
Winnipeg
Nice looking wings. Please tell us your secret to getting them crispy. I've got a Cookshack electric smoker that only gets to 300F.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5847 posts
336 upvotes
BC
velomane wrote:
Feb 26th, 2018 6:02 pm
Nice looking wings. Please tell us your secret to getting them crispy. I've got a Cookshack electric smoker that only gets to 300F.
The secret is cooking at a higher temp... I do mine at 375 with great results, crispy and delicious!
That's my 2cents worth
Apr 8, 2010
570 posts
238 upvotes
toronto
Drakestar wrote:
Feb 26th, 2018 10:33 am
I don't think that $6/pound is horrible, but not great either. I bought one around Christmas time at our small town abattoir (just outside London, ON) charged me $5.99/pound. I tried to get one at Sobeys since it is closer, but they didn't carry it. The Sobeys guy said they don't really sell well, but would order a box in for me (four briskets) if I wanted them all or have people to share with.
i just did a brisket over the weekend. Like you i tried to order from sobey's but the meat manager said that he'll not be ordering anymore brisket. said when he ordered for customer the rest of the meat ends up getting thrown out as nobody else wants it.

I went to the butch shoppe and got a whole packer for $5 /lb which i thought was a good deal.

did mine at about 225 until it hit the stall. then another hour after the stall then foiled it up and tossed it in the oven at 250 till IT was about 200-201. wrapped it up in some kitchen towels and tossed it in a cooler till ready to eat. all told, it was about an 10 hours of actual cooking

i'm thinking next time, i might do 200 for 4 hours then raise it to 275 until it hits the stall then wait another hour before foiling
Dec 26, 2007
80 posts
22 upvotes
velomane wrote:
Feb 26th, 2018 6:02 pm
Its not really going to be the temp per se, as I could get the WSM super hot but still have rubber skin. What seems to make the difference (for me at least) is where the heat actually hits the wings. In the WSM the heat comes up the side, then down from the dome. With the backwoods the heat comes out from the top of the cabinet and exhausts from the bottom. If I place the wings on the top 2 racks of the cabinet (right at the opening) and have a temp of 275 - 300, they're crispy right around the 1.5 - 2 hour mark.

https://dizzypigbbq.com/recipe/breaded- ... ied-wings/
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2477 posts
389 upvotes
Mississauga
When I make wings in my Bradley, I always finish in a hot wok in a bit of peanut oil. Come out crispy every time.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3343 posts
162 upvotes
Adelaide
MiltonMike wrote:
Feb 27th, 2018 12:11 pm
Its not really going to be the temp per se, as I could get the WSM super hot but still have rubber skin. What seems to make the difference (for me at least) is where the heat actually hits the wings. In the WSM the heat comes up the side, then down from the dome. With the backwoods the heat comes out from the top of the cabinet and exhausts from the bottom. If I place the wings on the top 2 racks of the cabinet (right at the opening) and have a temp of 275 - 300, they're crispy right around the 1.5 - 2 hour mark.

https://dizzypigbbq.com/recipe/breaded- ... ied-wings/
I am having trouble visualizing this. The heat is going out the top but at the same time exhausts from the bottom?
Dec 26, 2007
80 posts
22 upvotes
BongoBong wrote:
Feb 28th, 2018 11:39 pm
I am having trouble visualizing this. The heat is going out the top but at the same time exhausts from the bottom?
Like so:

1. Heat and smoke travel up through the wall of the cooker and enter the cook chamber through an opening/vent in the top.

2. Heat and smoke travel down and exit through a vent at the bottom of the cook chamber below the bottom grate.

3. Smoke travels back up where it finally exits out the exhaust.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3343 posts
162 upvotes
Adelaide
MiltonMike wrote:
Mar 1st, 2018 12:22 pm
Like so:

1. Heat and smoke travel up through the wall of the cooker and enter the cook chamber through an opening/vent in the top.

2. Heat and smoke travel down and exit through a vent at the bottom of the cook chamber below the bottom grate.

3. Smoke travels back up where it finally exits out the exhaust.
Ahhhh I see. Interesting system.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2474 posts
271 upvotes
Whitby
Decided today instead of low and slow - hot and fast. Made my kamado into a tandoor. Naan then some chicken. Also made raita.
Images
  • 20180527_161109.jpg
  • 20180527_161712.jpg
  • 20180527_165606.jpg
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5847 posts
336 upvotes
BC
Tried a new recipe for beef ribs on the weekend, traeger bourbon-braised beef short ribs, I used the big ribs and changed cooking times a bit... I had them in the smoker at 250 for 3 hours and then in foil for one. They were delicious, tender, meat pulled off the bone nicely.

Also smoked some tenderloin steaks at 450 and did a reverse sear on the bbq, one minute a side, with grilled garlic prawns.
IMG_4784.JPG
IMG_4785.JPG
IMG_4791.JPG
IMG_4794.JPG
IMG_4796.JPG
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
5795 posts
908 upvotes
Keelie wrote:
May 30th, 2018 1:10 am
Tried a new recipe for beef ribs on the weekend, traeger bourbon-braised beef short ribs, I used the big ribs and changed cooking times a bit... I had them in the smoker at 250 for 3 hours and then in foil for one. They were delicious, tender, meat pulled off the bone nicely.

Also smoked some tenderloin steaks at 450 and did a reverse sear on the bbq, one minute a side, with grilled garlic prawns.
Never been a huge fan of beef short ribs. Maybe just never had them done right, but those look great. The tenderloin and prawns look fantastic!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5847 posts
336 upvotes
BC
Gutty96 wrote:
May 31st, 2018 6:17 am
Never been a huge fan of beef short ribs. Maybe just never had them done right, but those look great. The tenderloin and prawns look fantastic!
The recipe is for short ribs, but I used back ribs, single, not in a rack. Same rib that is on the standing rib roast.
That's my 2cents worth