Post Pics of Your BBQ'd Food Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2018 10:00 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2005
3235 posts
39 upvotes
GTA
Salivating, you got fourteen bones with the spare rib on the left? Where did you buy it? And is that back-rib on the right? Family always complains about the narly bit on the very right due to the shrinkage and overcookness. Good job though with the WSM, how long was the whole process? Any advice on how to achieve what you clearly accomplished?
Feb30th wrote:
Jun 1st, 2018 7:47 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2006
1161 posts
443 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
zalapski wrote:
Jun 1st, 2018 8:17 pm
Salivating, you got fourteen bones with the spare rib on the left? Where did you buy it? And is that back-rib on the right? Family always complains about the narly bit on the very right due to the shrinkage and overcookness. Good job though with the WSM, how long was the whole process? Any advice on how to achieve what you clearly accomplished?
Ya they were back ribs sand I got these at Costco... and I used 3-2-1... 3 hours smoke, 2 hours wrapped, sauce and 1 more hour in the smoker. They were perfectly tender with good bite... they were not "fall of the bone" tender but pull off the bone clean when you bite into them lol
Aug 29, 2012
152 posts
55 upvotes
SURREY
Feb30th wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2018 12:33 am
They were perfectly tender with good bite... they were not "fall of the bone" tender but pull off the bone clean when you bite into them lol
This is an example of a perfectly cooked rib. If it's falling off the bone, it's overcooked.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3369 posts
170 upvotes
Adelaide
Found a good deal on a boneless pork shoulder, skin on. Was initially rolled up but unrolled it and roasted over charcoal. Think it was on for about 3-3.5 hours

Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
6092 posts
1044 upvotes
Just starting a little grill / smoke for tonight.

Aug 12, 2012
646 posts
157 upvotes
Richmond Hill
What kind of thermometers does everyone recommend? I'm not interested in anything bluetooth or wireless. Do you need to spend $100 or would something like like this do the trick?

To keep the images going, here's some ribs I pre-smoked last night (going to finish them with sauce on the grill tomorrow). And a sirloin top roast I smoked last weekend.
Images
  • ribs.JPG
  • sirloin top.JPG
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2493 posts
296 upvotes
Whitby
Frank311 wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 11:12 am
What kind of thermometers does everyone recommend? I'm not interested in anything bluetooth or wireless. Do you need to spend $100 or would something like like this do the trick?

To keep the images going, here's some ribs I pre-smoked last night (going to finish them with sauce on the grill tomorrow). And a sirloin top roast I smoked last weekend.
That thermometer should be fine. I would still test it every once in a while (depending on use) in boiling water/ice to see accuracy.
I got this one https://www.amazon.ca/iDevices-IGR0009P ... ds=igrill2, as a Father's Day present that I bought...I wanted the bluetooth and the 3 meat/1 ambient probe. I tend to do yard work (and sitting for beers) etc after I start up the Boss so I wanted the wireless.
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5685 posts
1295 upvotes
Markham
Get yourself a instant read thermometer as well, something like a themopop... Good for steaks.
Last edited by gr8dlr on Jun 16th, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9231 posts
857 upvotes
GTA
gr8dlr wrote:
Jun 16th, 2018 11:41 am
Please make note that

Probe and Wire can withstand up to 716°F (380°C),and cann't be exposed to open flame

380F ! I didn't realize this until I went thru two progress. IMO this limits the leave in place probe usefulness.
It says in the text you quoted 380F not 380C. It says the limit is 716F!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5685 posts
1295 upvotes
Markham
YLSF wrote:
Jun 16th, 2018 11:57 am
It says in the text you quoted 380F not 380C. It says the limit is 716F!
Oops. My mistake. The Polder probes are around that temp I quoted. This one quoted 380C. Can't believe it can stand that much heat since the max temp range is 572F. Why 572F when the probe goes to over 700F. I have my doubts it can handle over 700F.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3369 posts
170 upvotes
Adelaide
Frank311 wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 11:12 am

Any particular reason you don't want wireless? I personally find having wireless a very nice convenience. If you don't need wireless though that one looks fine.
raymondly wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 1:13 pm
That thermometer should be fine. I would still test it every once in a while (depending on use) in boiling water/ice to see accuracy.
I got this one https://www.amazon.ca/iDevices-IGR0009P ... ds=igrill2, as a Father's Day present that I bought...I wanted the bluetooth and the 3 meat/1 ambient probe. I tend to do yard work (and sitting for beers) etc after I start up the Boss so I wanted the wireless.

How do you find the range on that one? I like the idea of a bluetooth thermometer that I can connect to my phone, but worried about having it still work when I am inside the home. I assume you need to keep almost line of sight with the thermometer?
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2493 posts
296 upvotes
Whitby
BongoBong wrote:
Jun 17th, 2018 4:38 am
Any particular reason you don't want wireless? I personally find having wireless a very nice convenience. If you don't need wireless though that one looks fine.

How do you find the range on that one? I like the idea of a bluetooth thermometer that I can connect to my phone, but worried about having it still work when I am inside the home. I assume you need to keep almost line of sight with the thermometer?
The range is pretty good. Complete contact inside the house and can go from my backyard to the front of the garage before I don't have a connection (probably about 100 feet or more)
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Aug 12, 2012
646 posts
157 upvotes
Richmond Hill
BongoBong wrote:
Jun 17th, 2018 4:38 am
I'm not a fan of Bluetooth as my iPhone 6 doesn't seem to have the best connection, however, I had a grilling mishap the other day and now I'm thinking of getting a wireless unit. For whatever reason, the temp on my pellet smoker shot up to 320F and toasted the bottom of my ribs. No idea how long it was at that temp, but I had been checking it every 20-30 mins.

So now I'm looking at this unit which seems to get decent reviews. Having a dedicated remote might be better than relying on my phones weak BT connection.

Thanks for the replies all!