• Sep 18th, 2018 4:54 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
1952 posts
680 upvotes
Sudbury
Frank311 wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 11:12 am
What kind of thermometers does everyone recommend? I'm not interested in anything bluetooth or wireless. Do you need to spend $100 or would something like like this do the trick?

To keep the images going, here's some ribs I pre-smoked last night (going to finish them with sauce on the grill tomorrow). And a sirloin top roast I smoked last weekend.
I've been through many thermometers for BBQ and found that "you get what you pay for".

My current set up this:
1 - Thermoworks Smoke
1 - Thermoworks Smoke Gateway (allows for internet connectivity....so I can leave the house, etc). The other awesome thing about it is when I do overnight cooks, instead of sounding the alarm, the Gateway vibrates my Apple watch to let me know that the temps are too high or too low. Super useful when doing Brisket, etc (meat that doesn't handle temp fluctuations well).
1 - Thermworks Thermapen MK4

Yes, the setup is expensive...but you'll be golden/set for awhile.
I bought everything over the course of two years from various sales, etc.
We also have a Thermoworks Chef Alarm (for cooking in the oven)....the other nice thing is the Smoke/Chef Alarm/DOT all use the same probes....so they are interchangeable.

The only thing I wish is that the Smoke had for than two channels....debating getting another Smoke, waiting for Thermoworks to come up with a new product or getting the FireBoard.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12424 posts
478 upvotes
Grilled Costco ribeye
Images
  • IMG_20180506_192348.jpg
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
Rehan wrote:
Nov 13th, 2009 4:04 pm
All of you shut your mouths and leave the OP alone.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12424 posts
478 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 5:54 pm
Now thats a man’s breakfast. Full size steak and eggs lol
There's some mushrooms hidden behind the massive steak.
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
Rehan wrote:
Nov 13th, 2009 4:04 pm
All of you shut your mouths and leave the OP alone.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6935 posts
3940 upvotes
Edmonton
23 hour ribs, at 70C. Dry rub, and then “sweet and tangy” BBQ sauce to finish them off. I’ve never ribs before, but I’d be all over these puppies again!

C
Images
  • 0CCC9CD1-661D-4B7F-96F2-F0093A3B1165.jpeg
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2474 posts
271 upvotes
Whitby
Frank311 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 10:00 am
Did a meatloaf on the PitBoss the other week. This was my first time using the TP08 thermometer and it was great. Thanks for the recommendation folks! The meatloaf was delicious, but next time I would use thin sliced bacon (this was the Kirkland thick maple bacon).

Which PitBoss do you have? 700, 820? I would get the 820 but I know as soon as the 1000 XL (or Austin) I would get the larger unit.
The cost of the pellets (vs charcoal I am using now for the PB K24) is also a challenge.....
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Aug 12, 2012
612 posts
132 upvotes
Richmond Hill
raymondly wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 7:24 pm
Which PitBoss do you have? 700, 820? I would get the 820 but I know as soon as the 1000 XL (or Austin) I would get the larger unit.
The cost of the pellets (vs charcoal I am using now for the PB K24) is also a challenge.....
The 820. The Austin XL is a beast, looks really nice. I'm loving the 820, it's big enough for anything I'd do. I really like the 'trap door' that exposes the firebox for some flame broiling. I've mostly been getting Traeger pellets from Costco and Barbecue world. I'll also use the $5 Canawick pellets from Canadian Tire for quick grills like burgers or steak sears, or the tail end of a long smoke. Helps to keep the cost down a bit.

How do you like the K24?
Aug 12, 2012
612 posts
132 upvotes
Richmond Hill
kanewtz wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 2:58 pm
I've been through many thermometers for BBQ and found that "you get what you pay for".

My current set up this:
1 - Thermoworks Smoke
1 - Thermoworks Smoke Gateway (allows for internet connectivity....so I can leave the house, etc). The other awesome thing about it is when I do overnight cooks, instead of sounding the alarm, the Gateway vibrates my Apple watch to let me know that the temps are too high or too low. Super useful when doing Brisket, etc (meat that doesn't handle temp fluctuations well).
1 - Thermworks Thermapen MK4

Yes, the setup is expensive...but you'll be golden/set for awhile.
I bought everything over the course of two years from various sales, etc.
We also have a Thermoworks Chef Alarm (for cooking in the oven)....the other nice thing is the Smoke/Chef Alarm/DOT all use the same probes....so they are interchangeable.

The only thing I wish is that the Smoke had for than two channels....debating getting another Smoke, waiting for Thermoworks to come up with a new product or getting the FireBoard.
Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking of picking up a Thermapen as well. Did you ever own the Thermopop in your thermometer journey?
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2595 posts
270 upvotes
Vancouver
Frank311 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 1:00 am
Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking of picking up a Thermapen as well. Did you ever own the Thermopop in your thermometer journey?
Not the original poster, but wanted to chime in on the thermopop. I'm just a casual bbq'er but the thermopop has been great. Super handy, easy to read, and very useful. I got the older version that takes a bit longer to read, and v.2 is supposed to read much faster. Keep an eye out on the thermoworks site for sales.. they seem to have random discounts often enough.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
1952 posts
680 upvotes
Sudbury
Frank311 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 1:00 am
I do not, however, we have bought them for both my parents/in-laws and they love them.

The only reason I do not own one myself is I enjoy the ability to "adjust the angle" of my approach.

With the Thermopop you have to essentially hold the probe only one way which is often directly over the fire/flame. The Thermapen allows you to be off to the side "indirect area" and still take an accurate temp.

The new Thermopop is great though and takes super accurate/quick readings.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2474 posts
271 upvotes
Whitby
Frank311 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 9:46 pm
The 820. The Austin XL is a beast, looks really nice. I'm loving the 820, it's big enough for anything I'd do. I really like the 'trap door' that exposes the firebox for some flame broiling. I've mostly been getting Traeger pellets from Costco and Barbecue world. I'll also use the $5 Canawick pellets from Canadian Tire for quick grills like burgers or steak sears, or the tail end of a long smoke. Helps to keep the cost down a bit.

How do you like the K24?
I love it - it is a solid workhorse. The quality of it makes me think very highly of the Pit Boss brand and that's why I am looking at one of their pellet grills.
One of the biggest hurdles though is sneaking it home. My wife would (will...) kill me as this will be bbq/grill/smoker #5. My backyard is only so big so I can't hide it for long Winking Face
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1919 posts
506 upvotes
raymondly wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 7:24 pm
I'm thinking of the Pit Boss Grill from Costco. Are pellets a lot more expensive vs say propane? I'd love to grill this way but I get propane for free.... haha.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2474 posts
271 upvotes
Whitby
tim-x wrote:
Jul 16th, 2018 10:23 am
I'm thinking of the Pit Boss Grill from Costco. Are pellets a lot more expensive vs say propane? I'd love to grill this way but I get propane for free.... haha.
I am going to say yes, it will be more expensive than propane. Usually a bag of pellets is 1$/lb (in the US they can can get great deals) - sometimes they go on sale or as above if you can find food safe heating pellets.
Depending on temp you are running, and the temp outside, I have heard around 1lb/hour of cook. Maybe Frank311 can comment better since he has one.
In saying that, the flavour of the pellet grill is much better than propane even if you put a smoke box in.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3339 posts
161 upvotes
Adelaide
3 chickens for 10$ deal is too good. Peruvian rub and on the kettle.

Aug 12, 2012
612 posts
132 upvotes
Richmond Hill
tim-x wrote:
Jul 16th, 2018 10:23 am

raymondly wrote:
Jul 16th, 2018 2:20 pm
I am going to say yes, it will be more expensive than propane. Usually a bag of pellets is 1$/lb (in the US they can can get great deals) - sometimes they go on sale or as above if you can find food safe heating pellets.
Depending on temp you are running, and the temp outside, I have heard around 1lb/hour of cook. Maybe Frank311 can comment better since he has one.
In saying that, the flavour of the pellet grill is much better than propane even if you put a smoke box in.
I'm sure the cost is more, but, like Raymondly said, you're also paying for the flavour that comes with the smoke. The best deal I've found is Costco - they have a 33lb bag of Traeger pellets for $25. It's a blend of hickory, maple and cherry IIRC. Home Depot also sells 40lb bags for $35.

There's been some debate around the Canawick pellets. They're meant for wood burning furnaces, so they don't have any additives and are 100% wood for a clean burn. The company states that all their machines use food-grade lubricants in the processing, but the pellets aren't certified as 'food safe'. To me, if there's no additives or chemicals and the pellets are nothing but wood, I'm ok to cook with them. My guess is the company doesn't want to pay the CFIA to have this product certified. I'm definitely not a seasoned smoker, but what I've been doing so far is using the 'premium' pellets for the low-temp smoking portion of a cook, and then mixing in the Canawick pellets if the meat gets wrapped or I'm doing a higher temp cook (burgers or open-flame searing). Those pellets are about $6 for a 40lb bag at Canadian Tire, so it definitely helps with the cost. Haven't noticed any negatives as far as taste or performance, but I'll let everyone know if I die from using the cheap pellets.