Mar 11, 2004
2634 posts
529 upvotes
Mississauga
UrbanPoet wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 9:06 pm
Apple wood smoked mackeral.

Recipe
-soaked fish in a mix of cooking sake, mirin, salt, water over night.
-take it out in the morning and rinse it under cold water.
- leave it on a rack uncovered in the fridge to dry up. You should be good by afternoon.
-brush on a mix of soy sauce, sake, and mirin before bbqing.
-smoke over coals and your fav choice of wood chips.
I do it for about 45-60minutes.

I like apple wood b/c its subtle.
Thats a mini portable weber i use for my apartment! Small space outside... so it works for that purpose.
I bought a steel reusable veggie griller. I folded it to fit on top of the coals on the bottom. It allows me to keep the temperature up while cooking at a steady temp & indirect heat.
Its a fine balance because its such a small bbq... you gotta use maybe 2 hand full of coals placed tidily.
Cant tell but are these fillets or whole?
I smoke all kinds of fish and beside salmon I prefer whole (mackerel or trout). Do these on my Bradley electric. Also, I dont brine the whole fish. Only the salmon fillets. I found I prefer the texture better this way.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39702 posts
3763 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 3:44 pm
Cant tell but are these fillets or whole?
I smoke all kinds of fish and beside salmon I prefer whole (mackerel or trout). Do these on my Bradley electric. Also, I dont brine the whole fish. Only the salmon fillets. I found I prefer the texture better this way.
They are fillets.
I find mackeral so dense and smelly. Which is ok a little bit... but the soak helps make that super fishy fish more subtle. Sake and mirin for sweetness and a different layer of flavouring.
Also i find naturally it is very ocean salty. So this process helps. Also its a technique commonly used for japanese grilled mackeral which was what i was going for... except smoked on a western style grill.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
6224 posts
1121 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 6:12 pm
Bbqing in the snow/rain... updates later!!
Still waiting.......
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5889 posts
1418 upvotes
Markham
UrbanPoet wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 6:47 pm
They are fillets.
I find mackeral so dense and smelly. Which is ok a little bit... but the soak helps make that super fishy fish more subtle. Sake and mirin for sweetness and a different layer of flavouring.
Also i find naturally it is very ocean salty. So this process helps. Also its a technique commonly used for japanese grilled mackeral which was what i was going for... except smoked on a western style grill.
If you can get your hands on some sturgeon to smoke, I highly recommend it after eating it in Chicago's Calumet Fisheries.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39702 posts
3763 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Bbq in the cold dark!
This one is just chicken drum sticks $0.99/lb @ t&t!
I actually used sour cream to marinade the meat over night. Spices were a mix of minced garlice, seasoned salt, pepper, chili flake, and a general “masala” mix if red powder from bulk barn.
indian inspired this time.
The sour cream made the chicken very juicy and moist. Also it is strategy... you know my small portable bbq setup. Temp control is not accurate. It gives a margin of error because the moistness from the sour cream prevents it from burning.
Also overnight it helps penetrate the flavors into meat.

It was Hot smoke with lump charcoal and apple wood.
About 45 minutes.
Images
  • 31BC6DCD-D3E3-4FB9-9A6A-2353765CEEA7.jpeg
  • EBE61D5D-82B5-4193-8DA6-860BEE7453FB.jpeg
  • 8C831412-4B2A-4748-80E0-16AA229D742B.jpeg
  • 03D08EAF-D17A-4BB8-8BE8-313DC9F2C203.jpeg
  • F107E49C-1008-422B-8D54-D27DEE2FE68D.jpeg
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
6224 posts
1121 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 11:36 am
Bbq in the cold dark!
This one is just chicken drum sticks $0.99/lb @ t&t!
I actually used sour cream to marinade the meat over night. Spices were a mix of minced garlice, seasoned salt, pepper, chili flake, and a general “masala” mix if red powder from bulk barn.
indian inspired this time.
The sour cream made the chicken very juicy and moist. Also it is strategy... you know my small portable bbq setup. Temp control is not accurate. It gives a margin of error because the moistness from the sour cream prevents it from burning.
Also overnight it helps penetrate the flavors into meat.

It was Hot smoke with lump charcoal and apple wood.
About 45 minutes.
Looks good. Was that all just for you? If so, lots of good leftovers.

Love the greek salad with it! I guess that's thr best we can do these days with no Romaine. Lol
Apr 11, 2017
126 posts
71 upvotes
London, ON
My first stab at some Canadian bacon. Cured a pork loin in maple syrup, brown sugar, salt, pepper, garlic and sage for a week. Then off to the smoker to bring it up to 145-150F. 3 hrs on Hickory, cherry and maple smoke. Smells fantastic imho

Looking forward to slicing into these bad boys for breakfast tomorrow.
Images
  • 20181208_190846.jpg
  • 20181208_190835.jpg
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1196 posts
361 upvotes
London
Londonbrewer wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 7:15 pm
My first stab at some Canadian bacon. Cured a pork loin in maple syrup, brown sugar, salt, pepper, garlic and sage for a week. Then off to the smoker to bring it up to 145-150F. 3 hrs on Hickory, cherry and maple smoke. Smells fantastic imho

Looking forward to slicing into these bad boys for breakfast tomorrow.
That looks great. I did peameal in the summer. Turned out fantastic, but not really bbq.

I’m also in London, so I’ll bring the family over in about 10 minutes 🤪
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3376 posts
183 upvotes
Adelaide
Forgot to take more pics, but did a full packer brisket on the weekend with just salt, pepper and a bit of garlic powder. Picture is probably around 8 hours in, hour or two bit before I foiled it. Smoked over apple and cherry wood.

Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
6224 posts
1121 upvotes
Sorry, nothing fancy and don't laugh but chicken quarters are a for some reason a big hit at my house. The Boys who won't eat diced chicken breast without a fuss will pick these up and chew the meat to the bone.

Didn't get a picture plated but it was just broccoli, rice and some cheese toast.

Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
2804 posts
313 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
300°- 325ish on broil King keg using Maple leaf lump and trusty redi check thermometer. Pull it off at 127° internal.
Images
  • 20181226_160704.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
6224 posts
1121 upvotes
hyperactiveme wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 4:06 am
300°- 325ish on broil King keg using Maple leaf lump and trusty redi check thermometer. Pull it off at 127° internal.
That looks amazing.

Any pics of the inside?
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
2804 posts
313 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
No, but I'll make another in about a month. I'll take a couple start to finish inside the Keg. At no time do I smoke it at a lower temp and only place roast on after coals have been ashed over (no black smoke).

As an aside I bought a tip top temp last year and still haven't used it.

Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
4152 posts
793 upvotes
Regina
cousin made a good brisket and killer pulled pork on his smoker on Saturday...am more of a brisket fan usually but wow that pulled pork was something...might be time to invest in a smoker...am a bark shark fo sho