Thanks and good luck
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106486 upvotes
Richmond Hill
duckdown wrote:
Jun 24th, 2012 6:12 am
I don't even need to elaborate on this one....
Not sure if you've noticed, but every one of those posts you highlighted appears in Contests Forum.

FYI, it's standard operating procedure for many (but thankfully not the majority) of the contesters to reply "thanks" and/or "good luck" on contest threads as a way to mark whether or not they've viewed it already. (In general, "thanks" is code for "entered" and "good luck" is code for "pass". No idea why this guy felt the need to post both).

It's a silly habit, and I've had many an argument about it with other RFD contesters, but unfortunately it's not something that's going away any time soon. In fact, the contesters even had a poll on it some time back, where the pro-thanking camp narrowly defeated the anti-thanking camp: poll-thank-yous-contest-threads-967360/

So while it may be annoying, these posts are also legit (insofar as they're not specifically prohibited by RFD forum rules - if they are, I'd love to know, seriously). Also if you'd bothered to dig a little deeper, he does have a history of posts that are somewhat more substantive than what you've chosen to highlight above.

However I would be first in line to support an official RFD ban on this sort of thing.
Iv ta'be' Hev SoH, ghobe' Qoy lIj mu'mey, as SoH jaH pa' vo' vetlh tuq joq vetlh veng, shake lItha' the dust vo' lIj qamDu' (translation from the original Klingon: And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet)
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
45111 posts
3660 upvotes
Toronto
Kind of standard for the contest forum.
Also somewhat the same for the new RFD members section!
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106486 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Hm, I wonder if this sort of thing (both in general terms and with specific reference to the example presented by OP) would be covered under the Administration's recent attempts to clamp down on low content or no content posts, even if those efforts have been specifically directed towards Hot Deals Forum?

whats-long-term-goal-forum-yellow-pages ... st14858537
Iv ta'be' Hev SoH, ghobe' Qoy lIj mu'mey, as SoH jaH pa' vo' vetlh tuq joq vetlh veng, shake lItha' the dust vo' lIj qamDu' (translation from the original Klingon: And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet)
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2011
8953 posts
14161 upvotes
As ronin1701 stated this is a common stragtegy in the contest forum to mark contests. We had generated some ideas to help limit posters need to use this strategy - it was also highlighted that these ideas may have utility in other forum areas.

contest-forum-1182092/
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1565 upvotes
Nope, that how some of us contest folk keep track of contests we have entered on here.,

Mine mostly just say. Entered and thanks.

Do it that way, then we know not to back in the thread since.

Is there a crime of keeping track that way?
Sep 30, 2001
27374 posts
6366 upvotes
Toronto
Spidey wrote:
Jun 25th, 2012 5:08 pm
Nope, that how some of us contest folk keep track of contests we have entered on here.,
If you just hit Thanks on the op's post that's a pretty easy way to know if you've entered or not w/o post spamming ...as a suggestion.
Don't talk about it, be about it
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2011
8953 posts
14161 upvotes
MrDisco wrote:
Jun 25th, 2012 5:23 pm
If you just hit Thanks on the op's post that's a pretty easy way to know if you've entered or not w/o post spamming ...as a suggestion.
The disadvantage of the "Thanks Button" strategy is that it requires that the post be opened to see it the button has been pushed.

The ideas generated in the reference three posts above provides users with alternatives in contest tracking.

I hope the proposed changes stated are still being explored.

Or maybe if we catch tylerversion2 on a good day he'll sneek the changes in behind Oranr's back. :)
Sep 30, 2001
27374 posts
6366 upvotes
Toronto
ishfish wrote:
Jun 25th, 2012 6:07 pm
The disadvantage of the "Thanks Button" strategy is that it requires that the post be opened to see it the button has been pushed.
fair point.
Don't talk about it, be about it
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106486 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ishfish wrote:
Jun 25th, 2012 6:07 pm
MrDisco wrote:
Jun 25th, 2012 6:13 pm
fair point.
Not if you work your way through contests systematically in thread-posting order, then there should be no problem at all of keeping track of what you've looked at, because you'd know what the last post was that you looked at.

And if you've looked at it but can't get around to entering that contest right away, it's a simple matter of bookmarking the thread in your browser.
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106486 upvotes
Richmond Hill
MrDisco wrote:
Jun 25th, 2012 5:23 pm
Agree 100%

Here's a rather lengthy rant/post I once wrote:

contest-discussion-s-784469/214/#post14192999
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2011
8953 posts
14161 upvotes
ronin1701 wrote:
Jun 25th, 2012 6:18 pm
Not if you work your way through contests systematically in thread-posting order, then there should be no problem at all of keeping track of what you've looked at, because you'd know what the last post was that you looked at.

And if you've looked at it but can't get around to entering that contest right away, it's a simple matter of bookmarking the thread in your browser.
You have a gift that some of us do not possess. Only recently when I was reading one of your posts did I find out that I can make it so the posts are ordered by date posted.

I would just rather that things be dummied down to my level. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106486 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ishfish wrote:
Jun 25th, 2012 6:29 pm
You have a gift that some of us do not possess. Only recently when I was reading one of your posts did I find out that I can make it so the posts are ordered by date posted.

I would just rather that things be dummied down to my level. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Someone should write "The n00b's Guide to Online Contesting". Want to take a crack at it? I'll even help you edit your product :)
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4377 posts
4253 upvotes
Toronto
ronin1701 wrote:
Jun 25th, 2012 4:23 am
Hm, I wonder if this sort of thing (both in general terms and with specific reference to the example presented by OP) would be covered under the Administration's recent attempts to clamp down on low content or no content posts, even if those efforts have been specifically directed towards Hot Deals Forum?

whats-long-term-goal-forum-yellow-pages ... st14858537
As you say, those efforts are primarily aimed at the hot deals section. We are aware of this type of post in the contest section, but at this time, we don't think it poses much of a problem:

- it's not really causing harm
- it's limited to the contest forum
- we haven't really seen users doing it as way to inflate post count
- we haven't seen users doing this as a deliberate spam strategy

That being said, we are aware that it can makes specific posts in threads harder to find, and that it can generate a lot of alerts for someone tracking a thread. We're not averse to some alternatives to help users track contests they have joined, but it's not high up on our list of priorities right now.