• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2012 10:30 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1565 upvotes
MrDisco wrote:
Jun 25th, 2012 5:23 pm
If you just hit Thanks on the op's post that's a pretty easy way to know if you've entered or not w/o post spamming ...as a suggestion.
Doesnt work the way many of us want though. It doesnt leave the checkmark saying you have been in that thread until you go in. Making an actual post gives you the visual clue that you have been in there already so you dont go back into the thread.

If they allowed checkboxes by the actual thread title, and you could pick threads and show subscribed or something that would be cool and a time saver. If on page one there are 9 contests for Ontario only, just click the checkboxes and click subscribed (or the like)
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 25, 2011
8951 posts
14161 upvotes
ronin1701 wrote:
Jun 25th, 2012 6:36 pm
Someone should write "The n00b's Guide to Online Contesting". Want to take a crack at it? I'll even help you edit your product :)
The fact that I NEVER WIN would be a challenge to my credentials. :(

And lets face it - such a book would require that I be aware of things that I am unaware of.

Ronin1701, you have an awareness of those things - but you are unaware of the unawareness of others and therfore are also ill-equipt to be such an author.

Now Andrewrfd has kindly suggested that the contest area is not much of a problem and to get the changes implemented we must cause "harm." Sadly harm is not my talent area - maybe we could brain storm some harm generating strategies in the Contest Discussion thread. :) :D :twisted:
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 22, 2007
24768 posts
2775 upvotes
Hamilton
I say we just get rid of the post counts. That way, less crying
$35/5GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Moderator
User avatar
Sep 30, 2001
27373 posts
6366 upvotes
Toronto
Spidey wrote:
Jun 26th, 2012 10:45 am
Doesnt work the way many of us want though. It doesnt leave the checkmark saying you have been in that thread until you go in. Making an actual post gives you the visual clue that you have been in there already so you dont go back into the thread.
yeah i get what you're saying. either way doesn't bother me but i know for the hardcore contestant this can be an issue so i can see your point.
Don't talk about it, be about it
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1565 upvotes
MrDisco wrote:
Jun 26th, 2012 11:48 am
yeah i get what you're saying. either way doesn't bother me but i know for the hardcore contestant this can be an issue so i can see your point.
I was the first hard core contestor on the site, nevre got the issue. If you are entering an old contest that is still valid, it brings it back to the top for others to see. I have had many people eneter contests they didnt know existed due to that practice.

Ive had the same happen for me, old one brought from the bottom, entered and won
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106486 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Spidey wrote:
Jun 26th, 2012 12:48 pm
I was the first hard core contestor on the site, nevre got the issue. If you are entering an old contest that is still valid, it brings it back to the top for others to see. I have had many people eneter contests they didnt know existed due to that practice.

Ive had the same happen for me, old one brought from the bottom, entered and won
I tend to ignore contests that have been bumped back up:

1. I've already systematically cleared through every single contest posted in the forum, so I know I'm not missing any

2. I also assume that nothing useful was said in the latest reply because 99% of the time it's just a "thanks"/"good luck" anyways
Iv ta'be' Hev SoH, ghobe' Qoy lIj mu'mey, as SoH jaH pa' vo' vetlh tuq joq vetlh veng, shake lItha' the dust vo' lIj qamDu' (translation from the original Klingon: And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet)
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106486 upvotes
Richmond Hill
yao416 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2012 11:44 am
I say we just get rid of the post counts. That way, less crying
Works for me. I don't know how anyone can be a "Deal Guru" when 99.9% of their posts was a "thank you".
Iv ta'be' Hev SoH, ghobe' Qoy lIj mu'mey, as SoH jaH pa' vo' vetlh tuq joq vetlh veng, shake lItha' the dust vo' lIj qamDu' (translation from the original Klingon: And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet)
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1565 upvotes
ronin1701 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2012 2:35 pm
I tend to ignore contests that have been bumped back up:

1. I've already systematically cleared through every single contest posted in the forum, so I know I'm not missing any

2. I also assume that nothing useful was said in the latest reply because 99% of the time it's just a "thanks"/"good luck" anyways
I will as well if I have already entered them. If there was a different faster way to keep track I would..

I dont see an issue with the bumping, althought Ive been told I do it for post count and that gets some people angry for some reason.

To me, it has never bothered me when people bump old contest threads. Its my choice to go in them
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106486 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Spidey wrote:
Jun 26th, 2012 3:13 pm
I will as well if I have already entered them. If there was a different faster way to keep track I would..

I dont see an issue with the bumping, althought Ive been told I do it for post count and that gets some people angry for some reason.

To me, it has never bothered me when people bump old contest threads. Its my choice to go in them
My main issue is that as a frequent contest poster, I find it hard to keep track of what's going on with the contests I post when there's all this thanking going on.

When I first started posting contests, I used to subscribe to thread notifications on each one I created, just in case someone raised an issue then I'd know about it pretty quickly. I stopped doing this when it got to the point where I was receiving 100+ emails a day telling me that someone had just replied with a "thanks" or a "good luck" :facepalm:

As a consequence, I tend to miss a lot of stuff now. The more conscientious folks will PM me to let me know they've encountered a problem, but despite adding a blurb at the bottom of every contest post to that effect, the majority will still only reply within the thread (not even in the Contest Discussions thread) and expect someone to deal with it. You wouldn't believe how many contests threads where I've randomly gone back days or weeks (or even months) later to take a look and there was an issue identified that I knew nothing about.

Also, as a frequent contest enterer, there are those occasional contests where periodically someone will post new UPCs and codewords and the like. It would be great if I could subscribe to the thread so that I know when something new has been added, but since I'm trying to minimize the amount of notification spam that I get, you can see how that would be a problem.
Iv ta'be' Hev SoH, ghobe' Qoy lIj mu'mey, as SoH jaH pa' vo' vetlh tuq joq vetlh veng, shake lItha' the dust vo' lIj qamDu' (translation from the original Klingon: And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet)
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 25, 2011
8951 posts
14161 upvotes
AndrewRFD wrote:
Jun 26th, 2012 10:37 am
We're not averse to some alternatives to help users track contests they have joined, but it's not high up on our list of priorities right now.
Thanks for letting us know. :)

Top