Shopping Discussion

Post Thanksgiving Turkey Clearance Thread ...

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2020 9:21 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2004
1818 posts
1731 upvotes

Post Thanksgiving Turkey Clearance Thread ...

Hey Guys,

I know it's quite common for various locations to have a lot of left over Turkey post thanksgiving, and often go for fantastic prices post thanksgiving. I figured a single thread concerning such sightings might be a good idea. My local GT has Butterball turkey breast on for $12 per box (~900G, down from $15), though I don't consider this to be a fantastic deal by any means. Hoping those closer to the big box stores may have seen some great deals, last year I got a butterball for $0.49/lb

Sorry if this isn't a 'typical hot deal' or whatever, remove if you guys feel it's inappropriate, just hoping to spur the conversation/sightings of good deals around.
50 replies
Jun 12, 2019
327 posts
442 upvotes
I know when I tried Loblaws a few years ago they told me they freeze their fresh turkeys for Christmas. Obviously YMMV
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2003
6103 posts
6790 upvotes
Caledonia, ON
Upvote for interest.
May 7, 2007
521 posts
203 upvotes
Peterborough
Thanks for this post. I actually went out this morning to buy a fresh one to cook today as we were unable to do Thanksgiving over the weekend. I found fresh ones at Sobeys for .99lb. I know frozen will be cheaper soon and I will probably pick one up for the holidays or whatever as we all like turkey anyway. So I got a 10lb for $10
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2004
1818 posts
1731 upvotes
toprodcr wrote: Thanks for this post. I actually went out this morning to buy a fresh one to cook today as we were unable to do Thanksgiving over the weekend. I found fresh ones at Sobeys for .99lb. I know frozen will be cheaper soon and I will probably pick one up for the holidays or whatever as we all like turkey anyway. So I got a 10lb for $10
$0.99 for fresh is a pretty great deal, which Sobey's ?
Apr 27, 2017
111 posts
126 upvotes
RCSS Thunder Bay has frozen on for $0.88/lb today
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Gonna hit up Costco later and hope they still have some fresh ones.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Banned
Sep 24, 2019
30 posts
3 upvotes
I don't know about anyone else but I think there is a big difference between fresh and frozen. Cooked 2 birds over the weekend and the fresh was definitely way better.
Nov 15, 2007
209 posts
292 upvotes
Milton
$20 off at Heartland Costco... They had about 10 birds left in the bin when I was there at lunchtime.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1473 posts
1208 upvotes
British Columbia
I went out to few stores looking for deals, Freshco (not a good sale & all frozen), Save-On (no turkey at all), Safeway (no sale), Costco (no turkey) & RCSS (no turkey).

I wouldn't make a trip out just to find turkey, it must be very location specific.
Last edited by Karala on Oct 15th, 2019 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2004
1165 posts
198 upvotes
You might also want to make sure they're not utility-grade... we've noticed more of a difference between Utility vs. Grade A than we have between fresh and frozen, FWIW.
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10483 posts
7613 upvotes
ON
Picked up a fresh one at Costco Downsview 20$ off each. Picked the smallest I could find lol. They were removing them from the display as I was looking through and andtting them in the freezer as well I suspect.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 18, 2010
5960 posts
1591 upvotes
Toronto
While searching for turkey, have any of you come across discounted pumpkin pie?
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
2415 posts
1190 upvotes
Vancouver
I love turkey
Eat them everyday
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
barto wrote: You might also want to make sure they're not utility-grade... we've noticed more of a difference between Utility vs. Grade A than we have between fresh and frozen, FWIW.
What have you noticed?
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2002
4150 posts
3251 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe 15-20 fresh turkeys at Junction No Frills. Sign says 30% off but don't know how much that is $/lbs.
PC brand, they moved them all to the cooler up at the front by the self checkouts.
Apr 27, 2017
111 posts
126 upvotes
ThatGuyAgain wrote: RCSS Thunder Bay has frozen on for $0.88/lb today
I stand corrected, Wife picked it up earlier from RCSS and they are actually fresh young turkeys for $0.88/lb
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
3135 posts
1133 upvotes
Winnipeg
barto wrote: You might also want to make sure they're not utility-grade... we've noticed more of a difference between Utility vs. Grade A than we have between fresh and frozen, FWIW.
utility-grade turkeys are basically the same as grade A except they tend to be missing parts (ie: drumstick, wing etc....). I've never noticed a difference in flavour or quality of the meat otherwise.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2016
1513 posts
2025 upvotes
Toronto
Fightguard wrote: Maybe 15-20 fresh turkeys at Junction No Frills. Sign says 30% off but don't know how much that is $/lbs.
PC brand, they moved them all to the cooler up at the front by the self checkouts.
How much is it regular price per lb?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)