Students

post tips on meeting people in your classes! esp for 1st years!

[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4542 posts
192 upvotes
Vancity

post tips on meeting people in your classes! esp for 1st years!

this is especially useful for those going into their first semester, a big jump into college/university.

a good ice breaker i use is for the very first day of lecture/tutorials; though might work for the first few lectures...

find a person that looks 'interesting' to talk to (ie. the most attractive person who you'd think would have the slightest interest of talking to you :D ), then go "excuse me, is this the lecture for econ 105?" or whatever class it is supposed to be for.

when they reply yes, use your imagination, and go from there. i usually go like "oh whew, cool... its so confusing here! lucky i found my way to the lecture hall!"

works only once in tutorial, coz tutorials are small, they'll probbaly notice you the first class. lectures you can use for the first week or two.

corny, maybe... but it works for me!

post your tips/tricks!
21 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2003
1022 posts
113 upvotes
When I was in 1st year, everyone was trying to re-establish their social networks so more often than not, you'll have people saying hi and introducing themselves.

Don't really need any special lines in my opinion. At the beginning or at the end of class, introduce yourself bla bla bla :)
sonick wrote:this is especially useful for those going into their first semester, a big jump into college/university.

a good ice breaker i use is for the very first day of lecture/tutorials; though might work for the first few lectures...

find a person that looks 'interesting' to talk to (ie. the most attractive person who you'd think would have the slightest interest of talking to you :D ), then go "excuse me, is this the lecture for econ 105?" or whatever class it is supposed to be for.

when they reply yes, use your imagination, and go from there. i usually go like "oh whew, cool... its so confusing here! lucky i found my way to the lecture hall!"

works only once in tutorial, coz tutorials are small, they'll probbaly notice you the first class. lectures you can use for the first week or two.

corny, maybe... but it works for me!

post your tips/tricks!
Dec 6, 2003
812 posts
Toronto
I remember when this cute girl asked me if this was "ECO100" and I said, "No, this is sex talk 100" and she her jaw dropped to the floor -- and I said, "just kidding, I'm _____" :D
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
4670 posts
690 upvotes
Barton03 wrote:I remember when this cute girl asked me if this was "ECO100" and I said, "No, this is sex talk 100" and she her jaw dropped to the floor -- and I said, "just kidding, I'm _____" :D
lol the story dosnt end there then she jus gave him a stern look and *BAP* lol
dun worry just goto frosh week ... sit in class youll still meet ppl first year everyone will try to meet other people :)
"The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD."
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4542 posts
192 upvotes
Vancity
KennethToronto wrote:When I was in 1st year, everyone was trying to re-establish their social networks so more often than not, you'll have people saying hi and introducing themselves.

Don't really need any special lines in my opinion. At the beginning or at the end of class, introduce yourself bla bla bla :)
yeah thats true... those shy ppl out there, just remember... in first year, everybody else is in pretty much the same position you are. new school, dont know anybody, dont know where anything is.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
4670 posts
690 upvotes
sonick wrote:yeah thats true... those shy ppl out there, just remember... in first year, everybody else is in pretty much the same position you are. new school, dont know anybody, dont know where anything is.
speaking of not knowing where things are :P Thats the best opener :) Are you in XXXX class?? do you know where room XXXX is ? hehe did me wonders first year :) (and im a shy guy hehe)
"The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD."
Jun 25, 2003
991 posts
7 upvotes
okay gurls usually hang out in packs... so talk to the 2nd most beautiful one!

y not the first you might ask... well the gurls know which is the most beautiful... so if you talk to the 2nd one then it will make all the gurls wonder... about YOU!!! and if they think about you enuf then things might go smoothly...

Most important thing is Make a lot of FRIENDS esp if you are in eng... cuz you don't have time to do your own work!

and be friends with other non-hot gurls too... cuz by any chance they will have hot friends.... cuz gurls hang out in PACKS!!!!

think about it... gurl even go to the washroom together!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4542 posts
192 upvotes
Vancity
akz wrote:speaking of not knowing where things are :P Thats the best opener :) Are you in XXXX class?? do you know where room XXXX is ? hehe did me wonders first year :) (and im a shy guy hehe)
yeah, but then you can't continue on talking to them after ;)

i was waiting for a buddy outside the bathroom one time. right beside the door is a big map of the school, there was a cute girl standing in front, glancing up at the map, then down in her agenda, then back up. i go up to her "you lost?", chatted her up a bit, i didnt know where the class she was lookin for was though haha... but i had to go to class, and we parted ways
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2002
1324 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
bmw_xperience wrote:okay gurls usually hang out in packs... so talk to the 2nd most beautiful one!

y not the first you might ask... well the gurls know which is the most beautiful... so if you talk to the 2nd one then it will make all the gurls wonder... about YOU!!! and if they think about you enuf then things might go smoothly...

Most important thing is Make a lot of FRIENDS esp if you are in eng... cuz you don't have time to do your own work!

and be friends with other non-hot gurls too... cuz by any chance they will have hot friends.... cuz gurls hang out in PACKS!!!!

Haha, thanks on the "2nd girl" advice, I'll take that into account. Although, don't think there will be many in Engineering.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4542 posts
192 upvotes
Vancity
f00kie wrote:Haha, thanks on the "2nd girl" advice, I'll take that into account. Although, don't think there will be many in Engineering.
least you're not in compsci :D

orientaiton was hilarious, you could always tell which is the compsci group. the group with one, ugly girl, and eleven pale glasses-wearing skinny guys :D

just jokes y'all CS peoples
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
7886 posts
1390 upvotes
Mississauga
f00kie wrote:Haha, thanks on the "2nd girl" advice, I'll take that into account. Although, don't think there will be many in Engineering.
That is a derived form of something called the grenade theory.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=grenade

Essentially you do not go for the best, but you just work your way up to the best.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2002
1324 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
gq_fuzion wrote:i wouldn't do the grenade.... NEVER!
But if it works... ;)
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2005
2785 posts
198 upvotes
GVR
it's easy to meet friends in first year.
just sit with someone who you think would be friendly and perhaps, alone like you as well.
Also, join clubs and if you have time, apply to be a member (as if coordinating with activities, etc.) plus go to the icebreakers at the school clubs.
My Heatware - My Heatware
Sep 2, 2003
428 posts
Toronto
bmw_xperience wrote:okay gurls usually hang out in packs... so talk to the 2nd most beautiful one!

All true.