Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21266 posts
2088 upvotes

Post Your Camera System+Bag

Since the computer section has a, "post your desktop" thread, I figured photography minus as well have one as well. Basically all you have to do is show off your equipment, plus the shopping bag, backpack, or mobile film studio you carry it in.

I also happen to be looking for the perfect case for my D40 + 18-55 + 50 1.8 + 70-300 VR + SB400 so Ill be paying attention. :lol:
19 replies
Dec 31, 1969
Sorry, I don't feel the need to "show off" my gear. I did want to mention, however, that there is no such thing as the "perfect" case. The only time I use my big bags (Tamrac Pro8 and/or Lowepro Stealth Reporter D550 AW) is when I am travelling overnight. Other than that I carry my camera in-hand all day and take one or two lenses that I know I will need in a cheap, small old Lowepro bag that I have had for years (it attracts less attention).

Best of luck with your search. :)

[IMG]http://www.boingboing.net/200710101625.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3042 posts
21 upvotes
I don't know anyone who's got the "perfect" bag. I have a few that get used for different things, and none of them are perfect at all. The giant lowepro backpack holds eveything, is waterproof, *just* within luggage size, and great for events. It's also huge, awkward and awful to carry around. I have one shoulder bag that's subtle and holds a travel kit, but doesn't have zippered pockets I like - my larger shoulder bag doesn't quite accommodate a grip AND 70-200/2.8.. etc.

Makes me want to wrap the camera in a towel, stuff it in a backpack, and forget about finding the right bag forever, come to think of it.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2004
1508 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
rubberband wrote:
Sep 15th, 2008 9:33 am
Makes me want to wrap the camera in a towel, stuff it in a backpack, and forget about finding the right bag forever, come to think of it.
I did that, and it is liberating. Like many others, I have spent a lot of time looking for the "perfect" bag. I now have a National Geographic backpack which I love and hate. I love it because it provides a nice place to keep a fair amount of gear, plus enough room to jam some clothes in.

I hate it because usually I am not carrying enough camera stuff to fill the specialized compartments, so I end up with a backpack way bigger than the stuff I am actually carrying.

When I just wrapped my camera in my windbreaker or towel, and stuffed that in my backpack, I found my stuff was just as safe, nearly or even more accessible, my bag was much more versatile, and I looked less conspicuous.
Banned
Nov 19, 2005
2985 posts
1 upvote
Markham/Kingston
I recently got a Kata DB-455 shoulder bag. It is relatively small and comfortable and allows me to carry my camera body with grip, large 24-105mm F4L lens with hood on, two flashes, 3x PocketWizards, and my Macbook. It should be able to handle a 70-200mm F2.8 lens not connected on the body with some extra padding material.

I like it so far and find it very comfortable, especially for the price of $64.99 at Henry's.

[IMG]http://www.adorama.com/images/Large/KADB455_2.jpg[/IMG]
Toronto Wedding, Fashion & Lifestyle Photographer
www.spencerfu.com
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2005
3363 posts
23 upvotes
I don't have enough to need a bag. That definitely needs to be worked on :D

just 40D, 17-55 f2.8 IS, 50mm f1.8, 580ex II
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21266 posts
2088 upvotes
Im thinking the Lowpro 100 AW would be good enough for me. I like the sling feature as more often than not, I simply forgive the shot, not wanting to have to stop and unpack my backpack.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21266 posts
2088 upvotes
I eventually got pissy and decided Id mod my current bag. As no bag out there fits what I need, without a lot of bulk, I figured Id make mine work.

I ended up pulling out the bottom support piece, and cutting it in half. The bottom support was replaced with some foam. The half was then used to divide my bag into thirds, creating a new pocket the perfect length and size. A bit more cutting and sewing later, everything fits...perfectly! Ill get some pics later.

Now all I need is a backpack and Im set.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2004
7034 posts
172 upvotes
New Westminster
I have a Lowepro Stealth Reporter D200AW, this is actually a bit too big for walking around (for me anyway as I hate to carry stuff) but will fit everything I have and then some. This is basically my store-everything bag (which isn't much at the moment).

I also have the National Geographic NG 2343, which is a small shoulder bag which hold my camera and one extra lens. This is prefect for walking around IF I don't need to carry other stuffs.

Lately, I have been using the Crumpler Skivvy (this is NOT a camera bag) to hold my camera and other stuffs. This is not the best for protection but I figure if my camera is going to break then it's going to break > :( (touch wood). This works out well as I am more likely to bring my camera out.

As for camera, I just have a Pentax K100D with the dual kit lenses, and I just got a DA40 (the pancake).
insert witty comment
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2006
1012 posts
65 upvotes
Mississauga
Nikon D300 + MB-D10 Grip
Nikon D80 + MB-D80 Grip

50 1.8
18-70 3.5-4.5
70-200 2.8
300 2.8
TC-14EII

16 GB Sandisk CF in the D300, and a 8GB Sandisk SDHC card in the D300.

Lowepro AW300 for the bag. Just a mediocre Manfrotto monopod.
Banned
Nov 19, 2005
2985 posts
1 upvote
Markham/Kingston
itchy wrote:
Sep 16th, 2008 1:05 am
I use a Dakine Squence backpack when I am traveling, but I use a Crumpler 7million dollar bag when i am walking around town.

[IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y239/i ... E_FTR1.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y239/i ... BK_BOX.jpg[/IMG]

I lug around a D40, 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 50mm and a monopod or a tripod whenever I need it.

now all i need is a SB-600.
Wow. That bag looks awesome.
Toronto Wedding, Fashion & Lifestyle Photographer
www.spencerfu.com