• Dec 12th, 2018 10:26 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
29775 posts
1187 upvotes
Fernando Po

Post your warranty/RMA experiences

Thought it would be useful to have a place to discover other people's experiences dealing with manufacturer's warranties and RMA process. Personally I'd use such information in deciding if I should buy one companies products over another.

Information you should include are the company name, when you send your item in for repair or replacement, where you sent the item to (country, city, state/province, etc), issues or not with placing the RMA, if you had to pay shipping costs, any other fees (such as brokerage/tax), how long it took to get your item back, and if you were happy with the result or not.

I've started this thread because I've noticed a decline in the customer support regarding RMAs recently and not the best experiences. Feel free to commend a company for exceptional service or lambast them for poor service. I'm open to suggestions (PM me) for improving the thread, as I'd like to see it become a sticky on this forum.
36 replies
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
29775 posts
1187 upvotes
Fernando Po
I'll start by giving a recent experience I had.

Crucial Technology
Ballistix DDR 3 ram module
Meridian, ID USA
Easy to place RMA, received instructions in two days (June 14th)
Paid shipping to the depot in the US, cost $9
Faced $16 brokerage/tax which I refused
Reshipped after a long battle with no brokerage/tax, overall took about a month (July 14).
I'd say it was a poor experience overall, was met a cavalier attitude over the brokerage then overt hostility.
In the end, received a replacement.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17986 posts
2661 upvotes
GTA West
Most recent issue, sent my Nexus 5x into FutureTel due to the bootloop issue.

I was expecting the worst considering the massive amount of bad feedback they have on Google Reviews and here on RFD.

Nope, everything was fine. Got my phone back in 3 days, in good working order.
Tuition to the School of Life is not tax deductible.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4825 posts
1225 upvotes
Alberta
EVGA Corporation >> best warranty hands down.

We blew a video card that had a 3 year warranty a week before Christmas. Went online and submitted all the info online for their Standard Cross Ship RMA. Packaged and sent my dead video card back to them the next day. Three days later I was surprised to receive an upgraded video card from EVGA. Shipped via FedEx, no brokerage fee, GST or any additional cost etc. Received an email 12 days later that they received my video card on California.
Jun 19, 2015
516 posts
350 upvotes
Western Digital
500GB 2.5" WD Black HDD
Had an address to mail to within 24 hours of submitting my RMA
Paid ~$14 shipping from AB to ON
They shipped one back within 2 days of receiving it, and upgraded me to a 750GB model
10/10 Experience, literally not a single complaint
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
4477 posts
582 upvotes
Montreal
Recently, my Hamilton Beach BrewStation died after 4 years of constant use. Their box said 5 year warrantee. They sent me a replacement no questions asked which arrived in 2 days. The only thing they asked me to do was to cut off the power cord and then discard the cord and the unit. I had to pay $10 for shipping of the replacement.

A week before, my 23 month old refurb Garmin Forerunner had a problem with the power button. It wouldn't turn the unit off. I called tech support for tips on how to get it working again. The tips online were what to do if the unit was off. In my case it was on so none of the tricks would work for me. They sent me a free replacement without me asking. I paid for postage to send the defective unit back to them. They also allowed me to delay sending oin the defective unit until the new one arrived. To keep the defective unit alive, I left it in the charger all day and night except when I was using it.
Phils
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
1489 posts
559 upvotes
Nike (online, Canada) accepted my shoe return months after their 30-day window.

"You can return your order for any reason within 30 days of its delivery. You get free returns shipping every time. "

"If your order was delivered more than 30 days ago, contact us for help returning it."
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2005
1533 posts
675 upvotes
samsung
-------

purchased a small 1gb portable mp3 player many years ago off ebay. It was brand new factory sealed and seller included the original receipt where it was purchased (just weeks prior to listing it on ebay).

Received item totally DOA. Contacted samsung and mailed the player to them for warranty including receipt showing the item was weeks old. Instead of fixing or replacing it with the same model - they sent back a used, older higher capacity model BUT it was dirty, scratched up and about 5 times larger/heavier with a slow clunky interface. Everything but the capacity was worse in specs. I couldn't use the player so gave it away.

And on the included paperwork, the worker who handled it scribbled some random notes they were going to book a vacation to Jamaica or something which was quite unprofessional.

I recently had issues with my samsung phone where the battery puffed up damaging the screen of my phone. I purchased the phone from an authorized retailer, but samsung refused to offer help as they say their international model phones do not come with warranty whatsoever (which was contrary to some of the info on their website). I asked them what if the battery explodes, and they told me to buy a new battery and that was it.

I bought a new battery, and now months later the battery has puffed up again. I spoke to a couple of people who own the same phone and experienced the same issue. I'm surprised samsung has not been hit with a class action lawsuit yet regarding this.
P.S. Credit card would not help.

Black & Decker
--------------

Had toaster oven fail. They told me to cut the cord and mail it in (my expense). I also had to include a cheque for $6 to cover their shipping. They sent back the same model brand new. The whole process was simple and return shipping/fees were reasonable.

unfortunately after that one crapped out (years later), we ended up buying the same model again for $90 because we were happy with the oven's ease of use.
Always hungry ;)
Apr 1, 2004
314 posts
136 upvotes
Samsung Gear fit 2 watch

bought it on sale at sportchek, wore it almost daily for a few months, then noticed it was dying randomly
at almost 1 yr the issue was blatantly obvious, it would charge fully in the morning, then by afternoon it would drop suddenly to almost no power

took it into the samsung store, had to pay a $50 “handling/shipping” fee, they said it would be refunded if found to be fixable under warranty
showed the original sportschek receipt as proof of purchase

I was worried that they’ll just stick me with water damage (even though the watch was water resistant) and refuse to fix it under warranty

but alas, they called me a few weeks later saying it’s been fixed under warranty and to pick up and get my $50 refund

they gave me a new screen (i think?) coz originally the colours have been rubbed off a bit on the sides. when i got it back it had new shiny edges

that was over 1 yr ago, watch still doing good (no power problems)

so, good experience with samsung Thumbs Up Sign

currently i’m just starting to deal with Canon for a camera i bought just over 2 months ago
we’ll see how it goes
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
29775 posts
1187 upvotes
Fernando Po
Cyberpower Systems
CP1500PFCLCD UPS
Defect: chemical odor lasting nearly two years.
Sent to Mississauga on July 31, received by them Aug 1
Received RMA approval within three days
They paid shipping both ways, but not from Canada as promised (came from Minnesota)
No additional fees

Comments:Once I shipped the item back was nearly impossible to reach anyone at Cyberpower to get clarification of when they'd be shipping the new one, or from where. Didn't know they shipped it from the US until they already shipped it. Was shipped sixteen days after they received the defective unit. Got assurance at that point they would cover any brokerage/tax, etc. Item was left at my door. Seems to be in working order and likely new though also has some chemical odor but not as bad previous one when new (but worse than when sent). Was unnecessarily stressful but have a working unit in the end.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1149 posts
391 upvotes
London
hagbard wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2018 1:33 pm
Cyberpower Systems
CP1500PFCLCD UPS
Defect: chemical odor lasting nearly two years.
Sent to Mississauga on July 31, received by them Aug 1
Received RMA approval within three days
They paid shipping both ways, but not from Canada as promised (came from Minnesota)
No additional fees

Comments:Once I shipped the item back was nearly impossible to reach anyone at Cyberpower to get clarification of when they'd be shipping the new one, or from where. Didn't know they shipped it from the US until they already shipped it. Was shipped sixteen days after they received the defective unit. Got assurance at that point they would cover any brokerage/tax, etc. Item was left at my door. Seems to be in working order and likely new though also has some chemical odor but not as bad previous one when new (but worse than when sent). Was unnecessarily stressful but have a working unit in the end.
apc has really good c/s for there ups. they will actually send u the new one first they dont even require a cc for like an advance RMA then once u get the new one they provide u the pre paid label in the box for the replace then u just gotta pack the dead one in the new box with the label and send it away. i think apc had a location in Canada to for both sending it to and shipping it from not 100% sure though it was a while back.

also just did a RMA with linksys. they give to options one is standard were u gotta send the item first the other if u give a cc they will send u the replacement first and then u send the old one back. with both options they provide a pre paid ups label. the ship to location is in canada and the replacement also came from canada they shipped it by purolator express even though there email said it would ship with ups.
Jul 6, 2017
73 posts
30 upvotes
Corsair
HX850 PSU

RMA request submitted Mar 27, approved Mar 30. Had to pay my own shipping to Milpitas, CA, USA. Arrived to them Apr 11. Their system did not register it as received. Several follow-ups were given non-answers ("we're co-ordinating with the receiving team" which apparently takes weeks) or were ignored. A request to escalate to a supervisor was ignored as well.

On Apr 27 they admitted having the PSU, and stated the discrepancy was due to "wrong part #". I admit I may have selected the 2017 edition of the HX850 instead of my 2012 edition but I didn't know there were different editions and that shouldn't delay things by over 2 weeks.

In the same message they said they had no stock of similar PSUs to ship to me, and on further questioning said stock 'possibly' might be available in mid-May. Upon further prodding, they shipped out a new AX1000i on Apr 30. Despite my asking for expedited shipping, it was shipped UPS Standard and arrived May 8, with no taxes/duties/brokerage. The customer service rep said they would expedite it, but I suspect she meant expedite getting it out of the warehouse.

Would not recommend Corsair.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
16293 posts
13056 upvotes
Toronto
Rogers LG G5 through corporate plan at work. Phone had major burn-in issues and some connectivity problems too. Called Rogers and they had a replacement, refurb LG G5 shipped to me two business days later. Box had prepaid shipping label to send back the faulty one.

New phone works great and I used LG Bridge to upgrade it to Android Oreo 8.0 earlier this week.

Very smooth experience with Rogers. We pay them a lot every month so I expected nothing less than stellar service.
An earlier version of this article incorrectly described a behavior of crows exposed to crow corpses. Live crows only touch, attack and attempt intercourse with crow corpses, they do not scavenge them. (Actual NYT correction)
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1149 posts
391 upvotes
London
DareTo wrote:
Aug 24th, 2018 9:12 pm
Corsair
HX850 PSU

RMA request submitted Mar 27, approved Mar 30. Had to pay my own shipping to Milpitas, CA, USA. Arrived to them Apr 11. Their system did not register it as received. Several follow-ups were given non-answers ("we're co-ordinating with the receiving team" which apparently takes weeks) or were ignored. A request to escalate to a supervisor was ignored as well.

On Apr 27 they admitted having the PSU, and stated the discrepancy was due to "wrong part #". I admit I may have selected the 2017 edition of the HX850 instead of my 2012 edition but I didn't know there were different editions and that shouldn't delay things by over 2 weeks.

In the same message they said they had no stock of similar PSUs to ship to me, and on further questioning said stock 'possibly' might be available in mid-May. Upon further prodding, they shipped out a new AX1000i on Apr 30. Despite my asking for expedited shipping, it was shipped UPS Standard and arrived May 8, with no taxes/duties/brokerage. The customer service rep said they would expedite it, but I suspect she meant expedite getting it out of the warehouse.

Would not recommend Corsair.
corsair is a weird one if u complain enough they will give u a pre paid label. but for psu there's not alot of choice because all the companies who make psus dont provide pre paid labels and of all the companies only antec have a location in canada to ship to so anyone else ur pretty much footing the bill to get it down to the us and pretty much all of them are way the heck down in California
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
1546 posts
1151 upvotes
Toronto
One of my MacBook chargers died a few months ago, one call to Apple, they had it next day delivered. Literally had a new charger at my door in less than 15 hours. Was amazing.