Post your warranty/RMA experiences

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2018 10:26 am
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
4729 posts
1691 upvotes
GoPro Hero 6 black

Back screen would blank out at times, out of the box. Contacted support (had to do most everything in chat) and they requested pic of front of camera, pic of serial number, YouTube video showing the problem, proof of purchase. Won this thing in a contest and they accepted the contest declaration and release form as proof of purchase. RMA issued immediately in next chat when I provided required materials. I shipped RMA to Mississauga from Cambridge, next day for $14 via CP, and because in the US they pay for shipping via their own courier setup they offered one of three mount products free - I chose the GoPro Chesty harness ($49.99, but you can get a generic for $15) Turn around was 7 days between receipt of my device and shipping of the new device. I could track the progress of the RMA through their online ordering inquiry but annoyingly I had to contact support to get an actual tracking number once shipped, but the new device showed up next day anyway. Harness is the very latest version and better than a generic. So overall a good experience.
Dec 25, 2017
537 posts
423 upvotes
Anyone had experiences RMAing with Seagate? I might have to RMA it, it seems too slow and I think it's starting to fail (already...). Purchased it from Amazon months back, talked to them and they refunded slightly over half of the purchase price but won't take it back (which was expected since the return period was way over but it was nice that they gave me a partial refund). Want to RMA it anyway so I get a good working order disk to use...
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1149 posts
391 upvotes
London
IEpicDestroyer wrote:
Sep 30th, 2018 2:40 pm
Anyone had experiences RMAing with Seagate? I might have to RMA it, it seems too slow and I think it's starting to fail (already...). Purchased it from Amazon months back, talked to them and they refunded slightly over half of the purchase price but won't take it back (which was expected since the return period was way over but it was nice that they gave me a partial refund). Want to RMA it anyway so I get a good working order disk to use...
seagate has a shipping location in canada so return shipping is not alot of money and they have pretty quick turn around.
Dec 25, 2017
537 posts
423 upvotes
aaron158 wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 12:56 am
seagate has a shipping location in canada so return shipping is not alot of money and they have pretty quick turn around.
I heard that sometimes they get people to ship into the US and aside from customs, the shipping cost is way higher cross border...
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1149 posts
391 upvotes
London
IEpicDestroyer wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 1:06 am
I heard that sometimes they get people to ship into the US and aside from customs, the shipping cost is way higher cross border...
i did an rma with them and the shipping location was in ON. if they ask u to ship to the usa ask for a manger and request they provide u a pre paid label.
Dec 25, 2017
537 posts
423 upvotes
aaron158 wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 1:12 am
i did an rma with them and the shipping location was in ON. if they ask u to ship to the usa ask for a manger and request they provide u a pre paid label.
They'll issue me a prepaid shipping label for free? If so, I'm RMAing it right after the long weekend! Thanks!
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1149 posts
391 upvotes
London
IEpicDestroyer wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 1:49 am
They'll issue me a prepaid shipping label for free? If so, I'm RMAing it right after the long weekend! Thanks!
sometimes they will if u complain
Dec 25, 2017
537 posts
423 upvotes
aaron158 wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 1:51 am
sometimes they will if u complain
Got it!... I do that with Amazon a bit too much anyway...

I already swapped it out in favour of a SSD since Amazon issued a good portion of the drive back without returning it (half a year after refund expiry date) so it covered a decent amount and I wasn't out too much. Still if I get to keep it because I paid something, mind as well try to get it into working order...
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14052 posts
6464 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Western Digital.

Several years ago they got into the SSD business, then decided to get out. I bought a 256GB SSD on clearance for CA$299+HST(*) from Newegg Canada. The WD SSD came with a 3-year warranty.

Some 2½ years later the SSD started reporting IO errors. I contacted WD for warranty service. They told me that because they no longer made/sold SSDs(**) they'd refund me. So I faxed them a copy of the Newegg invoice. A few days later I got a check for US$299+HST. So they refunded me the full cost but in US$. Because SSD prices had dropped during the almost 3 years I had the drive, that was more than enough to buy two new 256GB SSDs and still have some money left over.

(*) This was several years ago when that was a very good price for a 256GB SSD.
(**) Yes they've recently decided to again make/sell SSDs.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Oct 7, 2018
2 posts
Dell-------

Long story short: Inspiron 15 7000 sub-par TN screen (worst I have ever seen and I saw Proscan tablets). Screen broke. Called for warranty. They did not want to honor it. Asked 350$ for repairs + shipping + it would take 10 days. Ended up buying a 80$ IPS panel and fixed it myself under 2 days. Dell Tech support is absolute crap and I made the mistake to buy "In-home" extended support.

Samsung---------

This is a 3-part special that occurred during summer:

1- My S7 had a burn-in. It got repaired under warranty the next day. They also replaced the aluminium frame (it was a bit dented), the battery and the motherboard (I complained about high temps so they fixed it). SO far so good.

2- Under a month later, the phone began to be unresponsive to touch input. And suddenly the screen faded to some green-ish white with multi color pixels. The panel was dead. I went to the repair center to get it fixed. First surprise: they say my phone is counterfeit or was repaired at an unauthorized place. Which makes no sense since I got it repaired here under a month ago! Second surprise: they say there is water damage. No, I am not clumsy. Never dropped my phone in water. Always operated my phone under normal conditions. So they refused to repair my device. This devastated me, because in my condition, a phone is more than a pricey communication device. But not here to talk about me. I was left with no phone.

3- My father still had his S7 and I still had my defective one. He left it on the table and I picked-up mine. A detail struck me: the SIM/MicroSD card tray! On his S7, the tray was flush with the aluminium frame. On mine, the tray was going under the frame! Looking at it more closely, I removed the trays in both phones. My phone was missing the rubber seal around the slot! So my phone got ruined because the repair was poorly executed and I had proof! I wrote a message on Samsung Members CA, and a moderator told me he elevated my case. After a few emails later (I think from the Office of the President), I was prompted to send-in my phone at their head office, postage paid and all via FedEx. Three days later they sent me an all-new S7!

In the end it all works out. But it was a big scare. Do note that I went before to get my vibration motor repaired before all this happened and I had experienced no issue whatsoever.
May 1, 2018
501 posts
247 upvotes
Vancouver
BengaliPrince wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2018 4:52 pm
One of my MacBook chargers died a few months ago, one call to Apple, they had it next day delivered. Literally had a new charger at my door in less than 15 hours. Was amazing.
How old is your MacBook and did you have AppleCare if you bought it recently?
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
1546 posts
1151 upvotes
Toronto
Alivenate wrote:
Oct 29th, 2018 3:05 pm
How old is your MacBook and did you have AppleCare if you bought it recently?
2016 and yes I have apple care
May 1, 2018
501 posts
247 upvotes
Vancouver
BengaliPrince wrote:
Oct 29th, 2018 3:11 pm
2016 and yes I have apple care
Oh nvm then.. Had it been for an older MacBook model without Apple Care, I would've been surprised.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
1759 posts
555 upvotes
B.C.
I had a Sandisk memory card fail recently.

I contacted amazon hoping they would just replace it directly and they asked me to contact the manufacturer.

I filled out the form, they emailed me back looking for more information and a picture of the card and one of the receipt. I sent them a PDF of the receipt and a picture of both sides.

They email me back and authorized the RMA. Said to mail it in a padded mailer - and that would have likely been $6-$10 - so I just put it in an envelope with cardboard on either side and mailed it.

They received it just fine and updated me... Then sent a replacement via UPS.

Overall it was great - but holy crap are their emails annoying and giant. They included all the previous correspondence and the emails are giant!
Nov 1, 2015
138 posts
47 upvotes
BC
This happened to me back in mid/late 2013.

I originally bought a Corsair HX650 PSU (Refurbished) from Future Shop for about $100 for my new build. It didn't come in a box and was missing quite a few things. About 7 months later it failed so I RMA'd it. They received the PSU in about 4-5 days after I shipped it. However, it took them 3-4 weeks to send me another one. They told me that they couldn't replace it with the same model but that they could give me the next model up. So I ended up getting the HX750 brand new in box which was a $170 + tax PSU at the time. Overall, was pretty happy with everything.