Pot light blew in kitchen now none of them will turn off

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2016 10:26 am
Oct 4, 2016
109 posts
63 upvotes

Pot light blew in kitchen now none of them will turn off

Hi.

Was in the kitchen when suddenly one of the pot lights blew. It was like a quick bright flash and then it was out. There was no popping sound.

The other five lights were on. I went and got a replacement bulb and then I tapped the light switch which is supposed to dim it from full brightness to off. Except nothing happened. It's one of those ones that has little green lights on the side of it like this:

I can press it all I want but nothing will turn off and the little green lights don't light up at all.

The switch next to it (as seen in video below) controls the outside flood light next to the side door. That works fine. It however is a normal switch and not a dimmer one.

Went to basement and switched off the breaker for those lights. Changed the bulb to a new one and turned the breaker back on. But again, the kitchen remains totally lit up and we can't turn off the lights.

Here is a video:

Any idea what is going on here? Do I need a new light switch? No idea how to wire it. You think a handy person should be able to do it?

Thanks.
5 replies
Nov 24, 2004
976 posts
90 upvotes
Yes you probably just need a new light switch. Get the same one and wire it in the same way the current one is connected. Take a picture of the wire connections so you'll know what goes where. It's really quite simple. Looks like a Lutron Maestro dimmer, Home Depot should carry them.

CM
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3149 posts
1334 upvotes
Windsor
By any chance, are all of the potlights LEDs except for the one that blew? If so, that's your problem.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1852 posts
879 upvotes
Toronto
TG3857 wrote: Hi.

Was in the kitchen when suddenly one of the pot lights blew. It was like a quick bright flash and then it was out. There was no popping sound.

The other five lights were on. I went and got a replacement bulb and then I tapped the light switch which is supposed to dim it from full brightness to off. Except nothing happened. It's one of those ones that has little green lights on the side of it like this:

I can press it all I want but nothing will turn off and the little green lights don't light up at all.

The switch next to it (as seen in video below) controls the outside flood light next to the side door. That works fine. It however is a normal switch and not a dimmer one.

Went to basement and switched off the breaker for those lights. Changed the bulb to a new one and turned the breaker back on. But again, the kitchen remains totally lit up and we can't turn off the lights.

Here is a video:

Any idea what is going on here? Do I need a new light switch? No idea how to wire it. You think a handy person should be able to do it?

Thanks.
At the bottom of your light switch there is a small tab that you can pull out. This is effectively a kill switch for the lightswitch, and resets the programming in it. See if that helps you temporarily.
Oct 4, 2016
109 posts
63 upvotes
At the bottom of your light switch there is a small tab that you can pull out. This is effectively a kill switch for the lightswitch, and resets the programming in it. See if that helps you temporarily.
[/quote]

Didn't know about that. It did indeed kill the lights after pulling that out.
Oct 4, 2016
109 posts
63 upvotes
Thanks.

Replaced the switch with same one and lights work properly again. Ain't cheap though. $40 for one of those things. I hope it's not going to blow again.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)