Feb 20, 2007
1712 posts
177 upvotes
NeverNeverLand
buildinghomes wrote:
Mar 18th, 2010 7:31 pm
lotta first posts..

shill
“My generation? We drink because it’s good. Because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar. Because we deserve it. We drink because it’s what men do.”
Roger Sterling

"I'm so gifted at findin' what I don't like the most" Kanye West

"oh kwa tan zin wan" Riley Martin
Aug 10, 2010
378 posts
21 upvotes
OTTAWA
I'm suspicious too...
$70 is FAR too low per lite for install, let alone include a good quality lite, trim and bulb. Pots (not the home depot 6 for $30 crap) run $30 to over $100 each. It will cost a good amount more if the pots are going into an insulated ceiling, such as on the second floor. No company will install for $40 and/or less. They will also NOT run a line for free! I searched on ESA's Authorized Ontario Contractor list and could not find Vicamp.
It's not unheard of to not make holes (if your lucky with joists etc) but to put in 30 of them without some patching necessary? Well that's a miracle :) I would phone ESA if considering them, that's for sure! I doubt they took out a permit, it just sounds too cheap a price.
Aug 10, 2010
378 posts
21 upvotes
OTTAWA
I must apologize in regards to my statement that Vicamp was not listed under ESA's Authorized Contractors.
They did not appear in my search yesterday but ARE listed when I looked again this morning. I am sorry for my accusation.
I still do not believe any Electrical Contractor would supply and install a decent pot lite for $70, no matter the number of lites involved. Normal quality pot is $30 plus bulb, plus mark up and @ 70 per, the install fee would be less the $40. With roughing, then the usual changes by the homeowner and moving of a few and the final trip back for finish, a pot will take just under an hour per (on average)
No company could operate at those rates unless they were sending out apprentices instead of journey men to do the bulk of the work. Even then, a first year apprentice charge out rate is around the $30 mark. Just impossible. The poster may have got his numbers mixed up.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2009
1511 posts
93 upvotes
Markham
I'm about to use them in a few weeks, anyone else got some reviews?
Need help on Rogers plans? Don't bother unless you like spending hours with them...
dumping Rogers? hmm...
Sep 23, 2006
21 posts
4 upvotes
Markham, ON
FlashEngineer wrote:
Nov 7th, 2011 4:53 pm
I'm about to use them in a few weeks, anyone else got some reviews?

Do you own one of those Monarch homes in Cathedraltown area? They installed the potlights and undercabinet lighting in my new house last week.

They didn't carry the potlight trims I want however I was able to order from their electrical suppliers using their contract account.

Overall workmanship was satisfactory and Vitaliy&Yuri were very professional. Will use them again in the future.
Mar 22, 2009
992 posts
12 upvotes
I paid around $450 for 43 potlights, forget how much for the wiring, and had all the necessary tools and a lot of online research to do a self install. If you want to save some $ and have intermediate knowledge of anything above the ceiling, go for it! Ensure you have a licensed electrician inspect.

2 years later, I get 'model home' compliments' everytime. Could not be happier!
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2009
1511 posts
93 upvotes
Markham
kuokai wrote:
Nov 9th, 2011 9:40 am
Do you own one of those Monarch homes in Cathedraltown area? They installed the potlights and undercabinet lighting in my new house last week.

They didn't carry the potlight trims I want however I was able to order from their electrical suppliers using their contract account.

Overall workmanship was satisfactory and Vitaliy&Yuri were very professional. Will use them again in the future.

Do you live in cathedraltown? I will get Vicamp then, they seem decent and price is not bad.
Need help on Rogers plans? Don't bother unless you like spending hours with them...
dumping Rogers? hmm...
Sep 23, 2006
21 posts
4 upvotes
Markham, ON
FlashEngineer wrote:
Nov 9th, 2011 6:07 pm
Do you live in cathedraltown? I will get Vicamp then, they seem decent and price is not bad.

Yes I live in Nichols Manor.

I know at least a few houses here were using Mr. Potlight and the results are good as well.
Oct 2, 2007
195 posts
41 upvotes
Mississauga
I can vouch for and highly recommend Vicamp Electrical. They did potlights both inside and outside our house last year along with installing some bathroom fans we bought along with some outlets. They offer Canadian made Contrast along with a Chinese copy... we went Canadian (also Contrast offers more trim colours). They were one of a few that actually came over to give a quote and not just over the phone/email. Their prices get lower the more you do with them. Great crew, kept things clean, consulted you through placements of lights/outlets, prompt... very pleased with the outcome.

We actually found them through another RFD thread on potlights some time ago. Good people!
Aug 10, 2010
378 posts
21 upvotes
OTTAWA
tail_duck, $10 a pot is not a good deal. Those are garbage, sorry but they are, they have to be. A decent pot is $60 and far more for IC if on the second floor. Lower quality pots, for say a basement, can come in at 30 per. Anything less is the home depo special. When it comes time to change the bulbs and the pot falls out of the ceiling, you'll know what I'm saying. A good pot will only need a bulb change every 3 years of so.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1268 posts
264 upvotes
Ottawa
Take a look at this thread for some lights at RONA. its about $10 a light but dont be fooled by the price. my neighbour had it before I had mine done with this and wont bother picking up anything more expensive.
Apr 13, 2008
75 posts
7 upvotes
My parents used this company

www.kataelectrical.ca

for 2 jobs now. One was more recent for some additional potlights and also to fix stuff a different company did a few years back that kept tripping the breaker. The owner that came out and did the job was very professional and did a great job. Reasonable price too. The are in Oakville and I think this guy was out in the west GTA too.
Mar 15, 2011
157 posts
5 upvotes
Scarborough
So is the vcamp a reputable company? Anyone already had an experience wid them...?
Apr 4, 2012
7 posts
4 upvotes
TORONTO
Hey all, so i had a few companies come by to do quotes and i ended up going with Vicamp/Vicomp Electrical. I based my decision to hire them pretty heavily on what i read in here...plus on the fact that their pricing turned out to be very fair, beating out every competitor that bothered coming by my place to assess it (without asking for 200 up front for the estimate). I am very happy that i went with them. I live in a condo and they've encountered and circumvented several unexpected roadblocks they couldn't possibly have foreseen prior to digging into the job. What impresses me most about their team is that they pretty much found a solution to every unforeseen problem they encountered without missing a beat...and they did so without griping about it or making you feel like the job they signed on for is the most irritating job they've ever taken on (which it might well be!). Totally professional, extremely nice team that does a great job, not only with project execution, but with planning as well.

I've had 3 guys working from 9-6 every day for the past 2 days...final day is tomorrow.

My job was pretty big...I had them install about 39 pot lights, 4 puck lights, an outlet for my new washer/dryer (the builder of this building had crappy stackable laundry machines that only had 1 240volt plug, so when i upgraded i had nowhere to plug in my dryer), plus wiring for my rear channel speakers and subwoofer for my surround system. Hopefully they'll also be able to hide some of my tv cabling in the bedroom.

They've been very cautious of my furniture and floors, covering everything with plastic (furniture) and paper (floors) and do a cleanup at the end of every day.

Can honestly say that in the world of electricians, i only hope that all of them aspire to the levels shown by Vitaliy and his team. I can't speak for the rest, but these guys by far exceeded my wildest expectations.

OH, and you never feel like they're trying to rip you off. Big Plus! You couldn't find a more honest, sincere guy than Vitaliy. Any changes you make to either add or subtract from the job you hired him and his team for will be added/subtracted from a well laid-out spreadsheet detailing every aspect of your job...by the end of the day you made those changes!

I recommend these guys without hesitation. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. If you want your job done right, on time and on budget, you really can't go wrong with Vicamp.

PM me if you want to see pics of the job they did for me. I'd be happy to show off their work.

Oh, and i know this is my first post... I normally don't post much online, probably because there are very few things that happen to me day to day that deserve the level of praise that i felt needed expressing on this topic. The review is legit, the work spectacular and my condo is now better than ever!
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2006
1899 posts
374 upvotes
Admin should lock this tread...this is obvious spam.

marafetka: 1st post asking for recommendation
Michael_S: 3rd post and says Vicomp electric is good. Posts their website and phone number.
akstar: 1st post. Posts Vicomp's company's website again and says they are great.
pinternational : 1st post. Says Vicomp is the best.

Vicomp electric must think RFDers are dumb....I clearly see that they are the dumb ones thinking they can do this and no one will notice it.