• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2015 10:19 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
1833 posts
343 upvotes
Vicomp... you guys just did more harm to your company than good, when will these companies learn not to spam?

Jolly good show chaps!

Everyone searching for info on this company, take what you see in this thread and make your decision.. I personally make it a rule to not deal with any company that uses these kind of cheap tactics to promote their company, if they want to come post here then they should be identifying themselves as so and offer to answer questions from potential customers

Instead what they have done is spammed us and basically have shown that they think we are idiots
Aug 10, 2010
378 posts
20 upvotes
OTTAWA
>I've had 3 guys working from 9-6 every day for the past 2 days...final day is tomorrow. <

3 "guys"? I hope you mean 3 electricians or 2 electricians and an a apprentice or... Because an electrical contractor can not hire "guys" to help. All must be registered.
Aside from that, you could almost have your house rewired in three days with 3 electricians!
Aug 10, 2010
378 posts
20 upvotes
OTTAWA
>I've had 3 guys working from 9-6 every day for the past 2 days...final day is tomorrow. <

3 "guys"? I hope you mean 3 electricians or 2 electricians and an a apprentice or... Because an electrical contractor can not hire "guys" to help. All must be registered.
Aside from that, you could almost have your house rewired in three days with 3 electricians!
Apr 4, 2012
7 posts
4 upvotes
TORONTO
LOL. Easy cynic. They're in my condo right now finishing up the job. Think about it. If all i wanted to do was find information, why would i bother signing up to this forum? I found information on Vicomp here a month or so ago and obviously had no reason to sign up at that point since i found what i was looking for (fortunately) and didn't really need to ask any questions. Now that they've done the work for me, i'm signing up to share my story about how happy i am. Shrug. Take it or leave it. I said people could PM me if they wanted to see pics of the work they did for me.

Sounds to me like you're one of Vicomp's competitors who just can't compete. Boo Hoo. :(

joongpark wrote:
Apr 5th, 2012 12:24 pm
Admin should lock this tread...this is obvious spam.

marafetka: 1st post asking for recommendation
Michael_S: 3rd post and says Vicomp electric is good. Posts their website and phone number.
akstar: 1st post. Posts Vicomp's company's website again and says they are great.
pinternational : 1st post. Says Vicomp is the best.

Vicomp electric must think RFDers are dumb....I clearly see that they are the dumb ones thinking they can do this and no one will notice it.
Apr 4, 2012
7 posts
4 upvotes
TORONTO
Jassus, how is anyone supposed to contribute to a thread without people like you flaming them and calling them spam. I spent a solid 30-45 minutes reporting back to the forum with what i thought would be valid and helpful feedback on the work this company did for me. What's it gonna take to get you two monkeys to stop beating your chests and to accept the fact that, indeed, sometimes first posts are just as valid as those posted by senior members. You guys had a first post at one point too. Should i have introduced myself first? Would that have made you feel better if the post in question had been my 2nd? *rolls eyes*. Seriously people. Get off your high skeptical horses. And if you want some sort of proof of my project being real, then feel free to ask for proof. I'm an open book and am as interested in promoting a job well done now as i was before the peanut gallery chimed in.

SO. For those of you who are looking for certified electricians in the GTA (humblest apologies to ChrisT from OTTAWA who needed clarification about their not only being 'guys' but 'certified electrician guys' as well) who can actually deal with the curveballs that doing electric work in a condo can present (they said they could have easily done a house in less time than it took to do my condo), i wouldn't hesitate recommending these guys....again and again....over and over...louder than those who seek to label me a spammer! :)

P.
Sep 23, 2006
802 posts
66 upvotes
Vicamp may have shilled on RFD in the past
Aug 25, 2005
525 posts
10 upvotes
Mississauga
I just had Vicamp install 26 pot lights, install 3 outlets, wired cable and internet into two rooms upstairs, install two light fixtures, and installed a bath fan. All work was done with a permit.
Work was done professionally. I wanted more lights installed but Yuri talked me out of it as he said it would be too bright for the area. They arrived on time. Cleaned up after they left. They were polite and respectful. And pricing was good.
Apr 4, 2012
7 posts
4 upvotes
TORONTO
OH MY GOD HE'S ONLY GOT 370 POSTS WE CAN'T TRUST HIM AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

P.S. one of the other quotes i got quoted me for like 51 pot lights and Vitaliy talked me out of it too.
fhirji wrote:
Apr 5th, 2012 8:33 pm
I just had Vicamp install 26 pot lights, install 3 outlets, wired cable and internet into two rooms upstairs, install two light fixtures, and installed a bath fan. All work was done with a permit.
Work was done professionally. I wanted more lights installed but Yuri talked me out of it as he said it would be too bright for the area. They arrived on time. Cleaned up after they left. They were polite and respectful. And pricing was good.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
3553 posts
433 upvotes
Aurora
pinternational wrote:
Apr 5th, 2012 12:52 am

I've had 3 guys working from 9-6 every day for the past 2 days...final day is tomorrow.

My job was pretty big...I had them install about 39 pot lights, 4 puck lights, an outlet for my new washer/dryer (the builder of this building had crappy stackable laundry machines that only had 1 240volt plug, so when i upgraded i had nowhere to plug in my dryer), plus wiring for my rear channel speakers and subwoofer for my surround system.

39 pot lights? How big is your condo?!

3 guys working from 9-6 for 3 days? What was the final bill?
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Apr 4, 2012
7 posts
4 upvotes
TORONTO
35 pot lights actually... we did a bunch of switching up as the project progressed. The original plan was to put an additional 6 in the kitchen/dining area but once he actually looked past the drywall on the ceiling (which sounded hollow), there was actually only 1 inch of air space between the concrete and the drywall... We ended up doing 4 puck lights to light a really nice new piece of art i bought from my buddy james verbicky (www.jamesverbicky.com), a single outlet over the dining table for a chandelier and 2 outlets above the island for smaller pendant lights.

The whole project came to about 6,000 bucks, tax in. :P

Definitely more than i'd mentally prepared myself to spend for pot lights plus a plug for my new washer/dryer but when i compared Vicomp's quote to the other i got....who actually recommended 51 pots PLUS pendant lights over the island... lol. After i saw his $9000+ quote, the race suddenly went from 2 competitors to 1 and i went with Vicomp. I did actually reach out to another company mentioned in this thread (i believe) but they wanted me to pay to have them come for a quote. Eff that.

Keep in mind, I went with low-voltage magnetic pot lights (Lightolier brand....most magnetic pot lights apparently hum/buzz, but because the transformer in these ones is extremely well packed/insulated, there is no buzz). So this could have been cheaper had i gone for line voltage pots....but with the Lightolier option, i figured why not go with the low-voltage for just a little bit more money.

As for me, I'm a new, first-time homeowner (Raised in PEI, but just moved here from Vancouver about 1.5 yrs ago) and after renting a house in the Annex for a year, i bought this place down in Cityplace. The condo is 1357 sqft and has a nearly 900 private sqft balcony. The unit was actually owned by the contractor initially and comprises 2 units turned into 1. Pretty sure its the biggest condo in my building.

The job is pretty much done now, although i had to special order my Lutron Maestro IR dimmers, so they'll have to come back to install those once they arrive at Boz Electric Supply (where i ordered them). Interesting note on why i chose to go with Boz Electric... They are all the way up in Richmond Hill - never been there - but their pricing on these dimmers were ridiculously cheap compared to the other 5-6 places i called that were located closer to me. I needed 3 Lutron Maestro MIRLV-600 dimmers... Boz quoted me $71 each. Nedco, Westburne and about 4 others i called were all between $100 and the MSRP of $111. Really? 30 to 40% more expensive? Yeah right.

Another note, as i mentioned, i had them wire my rear speakers and subwoofer behind the wall and across the ceiling. I tried a transmitter to send audio wirelessly to my rear channel speakers but ...it sucked so bad. Now, audio cables in every store from Future Shop to Bay Bloor Radio are RIDICULOUSLY overpriced. I really had no idea just how bad it was until i discovered Monoprice. A pair of gold-plated banana plugs for 2 dollars? 100 feet of in-wall rated speaker wire for 60 bucks? Crazy. Yeah, i had to pay shipping and duty, but man...still super cheap. The subwoofer cable i ordered was actually too short ( i ordered 25feet but actually needed more like 35 feet - woops), so i found another amazing company that makes cables right here in Toronto (well, Markham). They're called Infinite Cables (www.infinitecables.com) and you can just drive right to their warehouse and pick up. Ridiculously high quality hand-finished cables (subwoofer, digital, HDMI 1.4) in multiple grades, depending on how much you want to spend... 10ft premium HDMI cable for 7.95? LOL. SO cheap. Future Shop charges $119 for a 6.5ft Monster HDMI cable. Stupid. Yeah, i was excited!

Anyhow, sorry for giving TMI. I'm just excited all this work I've been doing on my place is coming to a close. I had California Closets installed a couple months ago and a couple months before that I had electric/remote controlled roller blinds installed. After this, all i've got left is getting some sort of landscaping done on my patio. Hopefully sooner than later so i can enjoy it all summer!

By the way, i asked Vitaliy about his licensing because some of the questions posed after my first post got me thinking.... Turns out he's a Master electrician (which apparently you need to be to own your own electrician business), another of his workers has a 309a license and mainly did hole drilling for light switches, drilling, pot light insertion, wire fishing etc. The third guy, who pretty much unboxed pot lights and made them ready for insertion into the ceiling, helped with wire fishing plus did a lot of the cleanup had no license.... but nothing really got done by either of the two guys without Vitaliy's direct supervision, assistance or, for the simpler tasks, his input.
Toukolou wrote:
Apr 5th, 2012 10:05 pm
39 pot lights? How big is your condo?!

3 guys working from 9-6 for 3 days? What was the final bill?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2004
3087 posts
48 upvotes
Mississauga
Sorry to post my question here but I have potlights in my kitchen and living area and it gets noticeably warm. The space is around 900 sf and we have 12 pot lighs ... they are using the 95 W big bulbs. Can I convert them to an LED potlight system? Any recommendations?
Apr 8, 2008
52 posts
40 upvotes
I know it will look suspicious being another non frequent poster in this thread, but i have been a RFDer for awhile now.

Thank you pinternational for the detail info

Did Vicomp have a breakdown, item per item, of your project cost?

I am interested in getting potlights as well as doing some speakers wiring.

can you provide an update on your experience with getting the light dimmer @Boz Electric Supply?

I've used Monoprice & more recently ebay & dealextreme for cables, since cables are heavy and anything shipped from monoprice are usually charged duty!
Infinite Cables is a good find, thanks. I will give them a try.
pinternational wrote:
Apr 5th, 2012 11:18 pm
The whole project came to about 6,000 bucks, tax in. :P

Definitely more than i'd mentally prepared myself to spend for pot lights plus a plug for my new washer/dryer but when i compared Vicomp's quote to the other i got....who actually recommended 51 pots PLUS pendant lights over the island... lol. After i saw his $9000+ quote, the race suddenly went from 2 competitors to 1 and i went with Vicomp. I did actually reach out to another company mentioned in this thread (i believe) but they wanted me to pay to have them come for a quote. Eff that.

Keep in mind, I went with low-voltage magnetic pot lights (Lightolier brand....most magnetic pot lights apparently hum/buzz, but because the transformer in these ones is extremely well packed/insulated, there is no buzz). So this could have been cheaper had i gone for line voltage pots....but with the Lightolier option, i figured why not go with the low-voltage for just a little bit more money.

The job is pretty much done now, although i had to special order my Lutron Maestro IR dimmers, so they'll have to come back to install those once they arrive at Boz Electric Supply (where i ordered them). Interesting note on why i chose to go with Boz Electric... They are all the way up in Richmond Hill - never been there - but their pricing on these dimmers were ridiculously cheap compared to the other 5-6 places i called that were located closer to me. I needed 3 Lutron Maestro MIRLV-600 dimmers... Boz quoted me $71 each. Nedco, Westburne and about 4 others i called were all between $100 and the MSRP of $111. Really? 30 to 40% more expensive? Yeah right.

Another note, as i mentioned, i had them wire my rear speakers and subwoofer behind the wall and across the ceiling. I tried a transmitter to send audio wirelessly to my rear channel speakers but ...it sucked so bad. Now, audio cables in every store from Future Shop to Bay Bloor Radio are RIDICULOUSLY overpriced. I really had no idea just how bad it was until i discovered Monoprice. A pair of gold-plated banana plugs for 2 dollars? 100 feet of in-wall rated speaker wire for 60 bucks? Crazy. Yeah, i had to pay shipping and duty, but man...still super cheap. The subwoofer cable i ordered was actually too short ( i ordered 25feet but actually needed more like 35 feet - woops), so i found another amazing company that makes cables right here in Toronto (well, Markham). They're called Infinite Cables (www.infinitecables.com) and you can just drive right to their warehouse and pick up. Ridiculously high quality hand-finished cables (subwoofer, digital, HDMI 1.4) in multiple grades, depending on how much you want to spend... 10ft premium HDMI cable for 7.95? LOL. SO cheap. Future Shop charges $119 for a 6.5ft Monster HDMI cable. Stupid. Yeah, i was excited!
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
1275 posts
5 upvotes
I'm drawing up my budget and I'm looking to estimate the cost of installing 3 potlights in our 2nd floor ensuite.
  1. "Wet" potlight in the shower 4"
  2. 2 damp rated potlights for remainder of ensuite
  3. exhaust fan "roof vented"
As well, I've read if I go LED I would have no issues with IC.

Thanks in advance.
Dec 26, 2003
272 posts
11 upvotes
Mississauga
The guys from viocomp installed pot lights in my house excellent job no damage to the walls, no mess whatever little there was they cleaned it up , I am very happy with their work will post picture of before and after .
Apr 4, 2012
7 posts
4 upvotes
TORONTO
Hey Ron, Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. Um, yes, as i mentioned (i believe) in one of my posts, Vitaliy provided me with an excel spreadsheet of each item line. Pricing per potlight included labor - I believe this is standard.

Re. the dimmers at Boz... I just called them up and talked to Stephanie Costigan (tho i imagine you can pretty much talk to any of their sales reps). Because most places in the city don't stock these specialty IR dimmers, you'll need to special order them...which took a couple of weeks. If you are in a rush there were a couple places downtown on Lakeshore that had 1 or 2 on hand and could get the rest in within a week, but as i mentioned, their prices were a fair deal more expensive than at Boz. Once they came in, Vitaliy picked them up (this past monday the 23rd of April since he was up there picking up other stuff from them) and scheduled an appointment for the wednesday. I had him install all of them and had him install the chandelier i'd just picked up too. I also had him hang a piece of art for me hehe. It was pretty big and it required drilling through concrete to get the screws into the wall, so i figured i might as well have someone handy do it while he was there :)

No additional charge for the dimmer installs, but i did give him an extra $150 for the help with the chandelier and art. Seemed reasonable to me considering he was there for 4 hours or so.

Fully recommend getting the speaker wiring in there while the work's happening. Its SO much better having my rear channels in place.

Only slightly annoying thing about the whole experience is that some of the switches are flipped down to turn on and up to turn off. Stuff like this makes me nuts. Make sure you check all those things before you let them leave hehe... I know its not a big deal to flip things around, but its all in the details if you ask me. Same thing happened with one of the channels of my rear speakers now that i think about it. Also, not a big deal and was easily fixed but.... yeah.

Another thing about these dimmers while i'm on the topic... and i'm not sure if i've got a bad dimmer or what....but it seems that one of the 4 i bought refuses to go to its 'favorite' setting when controlled via remote. It's fine when i'm turning it on via the wall switch, but when i turn it on via remote it consistently goes to a few settings higher than what i have it 'favorited' to.... Called the guy at Lutron and he said a) he's never heard of that before and b) it could be because the light i'm controlling with that particular dimmer (in this case, the chandelier...which is on a 3 way switch) uses an electronic transformer and the lutron dimmer i have is made specifically for magnetic applications. Anyone reading this have any ideas here?

ron9349 wrote:
Apr 25th, 2012 10:48 am
I know it will look suspicious being another non frequent poster in this thread, but i have been a RFDer for awhile now.

Thank you pinternational for the detail info

Did Vicomp have a breakdown, item per item, of your project cost?

I am interested in getting potlights as well as doing some speakers wiring.

can you provide an update on your experience with getting the light dimmer @Boz Electric Supply?

I've used Monoprice & more recently ebay & dealextreme for cables, since cables are heavy and anything shipped from monoprice are usually charged duty!
Infinite Cables is a good find, thanks. I will give them a try.