• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2015 10:19 am
Tags:
None
Apr 4, 2012
7 posts
4 upvotes
TORONTO
I promised Vitaliy I'd upload some pictures of the work he did for me to his facebook, but since i haven't taken any worthwhile pics for that yet, i figured i'd post the one i do have that i took quickly the day the work was completed, the art was up and the chandelier was lit :)

OK. Pic is too big and i don't think i can make it small enough without making it too small to see... so i'm linking it.

http://speedcap.net/img/18bd90d3245c3b3 ... 4b2375.png

I know it doesn't give a great idea of the overall look of the place with the pot lights, but it does show the pucks above the art and the chandelier...plus the 2 pots over the kitchen counter and maybe some others in the background. I'll let you all know when i've posted more to vitaliy's fb.

Cheers,

P.
Apr 8, 2008
61 posts
43 upvotes
Thank you for the detail feedback.
pinternational wrote:
Apr 30th, 2012 3:43 am
Hey Ron, Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. Um, yes, as i mentioned (i believe) in one of my posts, Vitaliy provided me with an excel spreadsheet of each item line. Pricing per potlight included labor - I believe this is standard.

Re. the dimmers at Boz... I just called them up and talked to Stephanie Costigan (tho i imagine you can pretty much talk to any of their sales reps). Because most places in the city don't stock these specialty IR dimmers, you'll need to special order them...which took a couple of weeks. If you are in a rush there were a couple places downtown on Lakeshore that had 1 or 2 on hand and could get the rest in within a week, but as i mentioned, their prices were a fair deal more expensive than at Boz. Once they came in, Vitaliy picked them up (this past monday the 23rd of April since he was up there picking up other stuff from them) and scheduled an appointment for the wednesday. I had him install all of them and had him install the chandelier i'd just picked up too. I also had him hang a piece of art for me hehe. It was pretty big and it required drilling through concrete to get the screws into the wall, so i figured i might as well have someone handy do it while he was there :)

No additional charge for the dimmer installs, but i did give him an extra $150 for the help with the chandelier and art. Seemed reasonable to me considering he was there for 4 hours or so.

Fully recommend getting the speaker wiring in there while the work's happening. Its SO much better having my rear channels in place.

Only slightly annoying thing about the whole experience is that some of the switches are flipped down to turn on and up to turn off. Stuff like this makes me nuts. Make sure you check all those things before you let them leave hehe... I know its not a big deal to flip things around, but its all in the details if you ask me. Same thing happened with one of the channels of my rear speakers now that i think about it. Also, not a big deal and was easily fixed but.... yeah.

Another thing about these dimmers while i'm on the topic... and i'm not sure if i've got a bad dimmer or what....but it seems that one of the 4 i bought refuses to go to its 'favorite' setting when controlled via remote. It's fine when i'm turning it on via the wall switch, but when i turn it on via remote it consistently goes to a few settings higher than what i have it 'favorited' to.... Called the guy at Lutron and he said a) he's never heard of that before and b) it could be because the light i'm controlling with that particular dimmer (in this case, the chandelier...which is on a 3 way switch) uses an electronic transformer and the lutron dimmer i have is made specifically for magnetic applications. Anyone reading this have any ideas here?
May 6, 2012
1 posts
TORONTO
only posts to recommend this one company. probably the owner

funny how his posts only seem to be geared towards recommending this
Michael_S wrote:
Aug 17th, 2009 2:01 pm
They charged me $70 per light for Canadian brand (excellent quality) called Contrast lighting, this price includes the light and labour; they installed the new line from panel for free

and also you can get any pot light you want from them- 3 or 4 inches, white-black-silver-gold, round or square, matte or shiny- you name it...

"do they put pot lights in stippled ceiling"- we have stucco ceiling too- they made no damage to the ceiling-(they left no wholes)

they did a very clean job- covered all cabinets with plastic and hardwood floor with paper- I haven't seen anybody do it before
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2006
1915 posts
395 upvotes
How much would something like this cost?

I buy all the pot lights (as I don't want cheapest pot lights to be installed)
It's Bungalow so insulation Box has to be installed (which I will buy)

Contractor (Company) to provide labour, wires where needed, 2 dimmers (Living Room)

- Living Room

12 Pot lights. 2 Dimmers. Wire Run from electrical box which is below the Living room.

- Kitchen

Using switch and wires already existing. 9 Pot Lights

- Bathroom

Using Switch and wires already existing. 6 Pot Lights
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6060 posts
1034 upvotes
Mississauga
joongpark

Since you're going to be installing pot lights in an insulated area I would highly recomend you install a vapour barrier box and seal it so that the moisture etc, associated with an insulated area won't effect any living space. In some areas it's code and I've already posted a link and explanatioin in another thread re pot lights so search in this section is your friend.

I hope this info helps.
Aug 10, 2010
378 posts
21 upvotes
OTTAWA
>>They charged me $70 per light for Canadian brand (excellent quality) called Contrast lighting, this price includes the light and labour; they installed the new line from panel for free

and also you can get any pot light you want from them- 3 or 4 inches, white-black-silver-gold, round or square, matte or shiny- you name it...

"do they put pot lights in stippled ceiling"- we have stucco ceiling too- they made no damage to the ceiling-(they left no wholes)

they did a very clean job- covered all cabinets with plastic and hardwood floor with paper- I haven't seen anybody do it before<

Your right (if your real, which I doubt) an Electrical Contractor covering all surfaces is weird... because, if they are good, they do not cause a lot of mess, dust when they do their job :)
IF they gave you decent MR 16 pots (which COST $60 with lamps, let alone mark up) that means they paid their "Electician" $3 an hour... I don't think so.
Nov 15, 2006
331 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
I am here to prove the threads recommending Vicamp are NOT spams.

They just finished the pot light and chandelier jobs this afternoon and I am giving them two thumbs up. The 3 guys did exactly what @pinternational described and I am not going to repeat them here.

On top of those, my place is a townhouse with a long and steep stairs right at the entrance. And I am going to install a chandelier above it which is not an easy task as you will need a taller-than-usual kind of ladder. I got a few quotes from different contractors and one of them even suggested to build a work platform to do it !! Amazingly, Vicamp finsihed it this afternoon in 15 mins without a trial to land a ladder on the stairs. He simply made use of the half wall next to the long stairs and did it!!

They even charged me only 1/3 on one of my chandeliers because he said that installation was too easy.

Nice work, good price, good attitude, tidy..... Well, Vicamp becomes my sole "authorised electrician" from now on. Keep it up, Vicamp !!
Banned
Aug 22, 2012
42 posts
5 upvotes
VERMILION
Do not use existing electrical lines for new pot light installation. Existing 15Amp circuits in your house already carry 12 items each, that is why new electrical power line with its own 15Amp breaker must be installed. This dedicated 15A line can carry up to 27 pot lights each light at 50 watts. This is required by Canadian electrical safety code. This installation is time consuming and workers who install pot lights at a cheap price always ignore this rule. This is a very dangerous way to save money.
marafetka wrote:
Aug 13th, 2009 11:42 am
Hello everybody
I am looking for an electric company that can install pot lights in my new house.
If you know any company that does a good job for a reasonable price, please share it with us.

Thank you
Vicky
Penalty Box
Oct 17, 2012
2689 posts
114 upvotes
i need to install 9 pot light at my kitchen please send me referral and how much i am looking to pay for each one $50?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2004
3092 posts
56 upvotes
Mississauga
Ravitg wrote:
Jan 5th, 2015 4:45 pm
I ordered Mr. Potlight for my parent's bungalow and my town home. Even though I live in Barrie and my parent live all the way in Mississauga, Mr. Potlight got both jobs done fantastically. They installed over 20 pot lights in my home and I am very satisfied. Check them out (mrpotlight.com).
Can you share pricing for the lights? Mine worked out to $100 per exterior pot light installed using Phillips par 20 LED bulbs. I installed 28 pots around my house.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5073 posts
955 upvotes
Whitby
oejoene wrote:
Aug 28th, 2012 5:55 am
Do not use existing electrical lines for new pot light installation. Existing 15Amp circuits in your house already carry 12 items each, that is why new electrical power line with its own 15Amp breaker must be installed. This dedicated 15A line can carry up to 27 pot lights each light at 50 watts. This is required by Canadian electrical safety code. This installation is time consuming and workers who install pot lights at a cheap price always ignore this rule. This is a very dangerous way to save money.
The load and number of devices on an existing circuit should always be checked-but you can't make a blanket statement that existing circuits are full or have room without checking.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3034 posts
454 upvotes
Just had potlights installed and noticed that when dimmed below 50%, there is a noticeable flicker.

Anyone ever experience this?

There are 9 potlights in the room (LED), and I'm using a single Lutron Diva CFL/LED dimmer rated at 150w for LED.