Pot light spacing for basement

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2019 9:40 am
[OP]
Mar 1, 2017
247 posts
47 upvotes

Pot light spacing for basement

I have a 14x20 space that is 6’ tall. 4’ is ductwork, so essentially its 10x20.

All of the pot light spacing advice is for minimum 8’ ceilings and says to divide by 2. This would give me potligts every 3 feet which seems bananas.

Any advice?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2123 posts
1442 upvotes
SW Ontario
Part of the deciding factor would be tied to what you intend to use the space for.
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4247 posts
732 upvotes
Toronto
2 rows of 4 and go with larger cans
Jul 31, 2017
167 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto
That sounds about the same size as ours. We went with two rows of three, each row on a dimmer. They are 6" illume LED's and with both rows on full, it's too bright.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
2820 posts
570 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
I'd use 4" slim pot lights so you can put them wherever necessary and not worry about any spacing problems. I'd incorporate the space of the duct so you can have the room nicely and evenly lit. So stick with the 14' x 20'.

For spacing I'd recommend that you do 2 rows of 4. Across the 14' span space your 2 rows 3-1/2' off each wall. For the 20' span start at 2-1/2' from the wall and space your lights 5' center to center. Put the lights on a dimmer and you'll likely always dim these lights and never use them at full brightness. However you'll have a room that is evenly lit and help to keep shadows to a minimum.
Mar 22, 2017
577 posts
454 upvotes
I'd do two rows of five, use 4-inch wide angled slim line integrated LED potlights, and I'd put them on a dimmer because they'll be too bright without it.
[OP]
Mar 1, 2017
247 posts
47 upvotes
Thanks all for the replies - I didn’t get notifications so missed them all! Contractor is putting in 3 rows of 2, 4” lights. Hopefully ok.

I am adding a daybed to one wall, so the room will shrink by about 18”.

MT
[OP]
Mar 1, 2017
247 posts
47 upvotes
2 rows of 3 installed. Plenty bright. Wires were crossed (not literally) and lights are 5000k which is very white. They will be on dimmers. Don’t know if this is a good mistake or a bad one.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
2820 posts
570 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
mikefly wrote:
Feb 20th, 2019 6:45 pm
2 rows of 3 installed. Plenty bright. Wires were crossed (not literally) and lights are 5000k which is very white. They will be on dimmers. Don’t know if this is a good mistake or a bad one.
The 5000k is something you may regret depending on the type of room this is. 5000k is good for utilitarian type rooms like a laundry room, furnace/utility room, washrooms, etc but not something most people like for family rooms, living rooms, bedrooms, etc. Is the colour temperature what you meany by "don't know if this is a good mistake or a bad one" ?

As well, what do you mean by "wires were crossed"?
[OP]
Mar 1, 2017
247 posts
47 upvotes
ChicoQuente wrote:
Feb 20th, 2019 7:01 pm
The 5000k is something you may regret depending on the type of room this is. 5000k is good for utilitarian type rooms like a laundry room, furnace/utility room, washrooms, etc but not something most people like for family rooms, living rooms, bedrooms, etc. Is the colour temperature what you meany by "don't know if this is a good mistake or a bad one" ?

As well, what do you mean by "wires were crossed"?
Mostly used for kids playing, guest bed, movie screen.

Wires crossed = I texted warm light to contractor but he didn’t pass on the message, and 5000k was installed (also planned for 4 pot, 50 sqf bathroom, but not yet installed)
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
2736 posts
1536 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
mikefly wrote:
Feb 20th, 2019 7:06 pm
Mostly used for kids playing, guest bed, movie screen.

Wires crossed = I texted warm light to contractor but he didn’t pass on the message, and 5000k was installed (also planned for 4 pot, 50 sqf bathroom, but not yet installed)
The four pots in the bath will be fine. 5000K is good as well, IMHO. My bath has exactly that, and is the same size. Don't forget you still need vanity lighting though.