[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2007
1727 posts
178 upvotes
NeverNeverLand

Pot Light WiFi Light Switch Dimmers

Hi everyone,
Can someone recommend a brand that works with any light. I found Lutron to work with all my lights. Bought some TPLink switches...but they didn’t work.

Can someone recommend a cheaper option than the Lutron?

Thanks
“My generation? We drink because it’s good. Because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar. Because we deserve it. We drink because it’s what men do.”
Roger Sterling

"I'm so gifted at findin' what I don't like the most" Kanye West

"oh kwa tan zin wan" Riley Martin
16 replies
Mar 1, 2015
102 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
I've had the same experience as you. I'm thinking that's the reason why Lutron is so expensive.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
2861 posts
592 upvotes
Oshawa
Checkout:

Home Depot
Lowes
Rona
Canadian Tire
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3103 posts
346 upvotes
Hamilton
I have a ton of tp-link switches and plugs that work flawlessly but admittedly not their dimmer. Why didn’t it work?
Jan 14, 2007
429 posts
79 upvotes
GTA North
I have only tp-link switches and dimmers for WiFi switches (and some plugs too)

No problems with any of it.
-Family room dimmer switch, (controls 8 bulbs - led believe I changed them)
-den dimmer switch, (controls 3 bulbs - non led)
-kitchen under cabinet regular switch, (controls low voltage led ?)
-back deck regular switch (controls 2 led flood)
-master bedroom night light plug
-living room Christmas tree plug
Mar 22, 2017
167 posts
131 upvotes
I bit the bullet and went for the Lutron Caseta brand. It works extremely well - smooth connections, app works, works with alexa/google home, doesn't need a neutral wire, looks nice, easy to install, has a mini remote, etc.

Downside is that it's expensive, as mentioned. I didn't need that many dimmers, so the incremental cost wasn't a huge deal.
May 15, 2010
153 posts
69 upvotes
Ajax
Get a SmartThings hub and go zwave. I think there are better dimmer selections and should be more stable than WiFi. I have the GE zwave dimmers and they work great
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1182 posts
74 upvotes
GTA
Lutron Caseta... may not be the cheapest but they're rock solid and work great with our dimmable recessed lighting.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
2392 posts
345 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
+1 for Lutron Caseta. They are a more expensive option but they are worth it. They make up for the higher price by being reliable, highly compatible with many other smart/automation systems and great compatibility with LED drivers. I'm excited they just announced the fan controller as I'm planning to put a fan in our bedroom next year.
Sep 26, 2015
192 posts
88 upvotes
Calgary, AB
+1 for lutron casetas..installed a bunch a few months ago, well worth the money
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
5216 posts
2118 upvotes
Paris
So is Caseta powerline then? I know my old x10 stuff didn’t need neural wires.

Edit: x10 not z10. Duh.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3381 posts
2282 upvotes
The issue with many electronic dimmers is that they work by pulse modulation, rather than reducing the voltage like the old analog rheostat dimmers. They turn the voltage off and on rapidly, varying the on-to-off ratio to control the amount of light you get. The pulses are much faster than your eye can see, so it works fine with incandescent light bulbs that just smooth the pulses out as a lower average voltage, but it can interact badly with the electronics in LED bulbs. It's a function of both the dimmer and the LED bulbs, so there's no way to know if there's going to be a problem until you try the specific combination.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
9662 posts
3721 upvotes
Brampton
Exp315 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:33 am
The issue with many electronic dimmers is that they work by pulse modulation, rather than reducing the voltage like the old analog rheostat dimmers. They turn the voltage off and on rapidly, varying the on-to-off ratio to control the amount of light you get. The pulses are much faster than your eye can see, so it works fine with incandescent light bulbs that just smooth the pulses out as a lower average voltage, but it can interact badly with the electronics in LED bulbs. It's a function of both the dimmer and the LED bulbs, so there's no way to know if there's going to be a problem until you try the specific combination.
Actually many use a TRIAC these days. Even the ones you think are on a rheostat. The Rheo actually just controls the TRIAC. I haven't seen a true Rheo is over 30 years. You'll know because a pure resistive rheo got damn hot when dimming and had low wattage limits IIRC 40W.
Some do use PWM those are usually for higher wattage incans and have a soft off and on function.

The PWM problem isn't necessarily the dimmer per se. The majority of the problem is the crappy driver that's used in the LED.

The problem many see with newer dimmers is actually interference introduced by TRIAC.

There's a difference between PWM and what a TRIAC does tho at a very high level they are similar.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
2392 posts
345 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
Exp315 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:33 am
It's a function of both the dimmer and the LED bulbs, so there's no way to know if there's going to be a problem until you try the specific combination.
While not the most convenient this issue can always be minimized by checking with the dimmer specs for known compatible bulbs/fixtures. It will certainly be nice when we reach a point that incompatibility is no longer a problem. I've done my whole home with Lutron Caseta and while it is costly I have been very happy with the compatibility. I haven't had any issues with 2 brands of slim LED pots, multiple LED integrated fixtures and an assortment of LED A19 bulbs.

Another nice thing I have noticed with the Caseta dimmers that in 2 locations where I am controlling single lights below the minimum wattage I was able to get them fully functional with a trim adjustment.

Now I just need a sale on lamp dimmer for my new daughters nursery. Fingers crossed there's a deal soon!