• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2010 2:27 am
Tags:
None
Oct 5, 2004
405 posts
12 upvotes

Potential new pc.. need advice

I have attached what may potentially be my new rig.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/8158/newpc.jpg

Here is what I need:
-Ability to play newer games with a smooth framerate
(I play on a 26" HDTV with a 1360x768 resolution and would like to max out AA and AF)
-Somewhat futureproof (2-3 years)
-Ability to SLi In about a year if I need to
-VERY Light overclocking
(Probably wont overclock right away unless I absolutely need to.. Im hoping stock hs and cooling will suffice)
-Around $1000 CDN, obviously the less the better.

I already have an operating system, monitor, mouse, keyboard, headset, and dvd/cd drives.

Am I missing anything? Everything compatible? Better recommendations?

Thanks in advance
4 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
4420 posts
313 upvotes
Toronto
Sliq wrote: I have attached what may potentially be my new rig.

Here is what I need:
(I play on a 26" HDTV with a 1360x768 resolution and would like to max out AA and AF)
-VERY Light overclocking
(Probably wont overclock right away unless I absolutely need to.. Im hoping stock hs and cooling will suffice)

I already have an operating system, monitor, mouse, keyboard, headset, and dvd/cd drives.

Thanks in advance
If you want some what future proof, ditch intel and go AMD. Intel plans on remaking their sockets.

At this point in time, 955BE + 870/880 or 890 chipset + and ATI card would be better. Not a fan boy or anything but its your best bet based on that ONE condition you stated. ATI card because its better than Nvidia and they are doing better in the market.
Nothing to see here...keep looking.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3242 upvotes
Calgary
Looks good. If you act quickly, you can probably still make that Dell sale on the 7200.12 1Tb drive for $69.99 + tax (incl. shipping).

As for 'future proofness', that's all, IMHO, a fallacy. Because it doesn't make a lot of sense, usually, to just upgrade a CPU, without also replacing the motherboard, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2004
5321 posts
18 upvotes
Midland
Sliq wrote: I have attached what may potentially be my new rig.

Here is what I need:
-VERY Light overclocking

Thanks in advance
omg those parts are terrible !! :eek:

Again as Zero said & I have have been informing folks Intels sockets are all changing next year. And currently with the introduction of the X6 cpu @ $300 & less + Ati's videocards as well It's not hard to see where AMD's preformance/value is now up there more so that it should be looked at more seriously as the choice parts then Intel's offerings currently.

'11 becomes even more interesting for us consumers as AMD will be launching more newer technoligies as well as intels plan. Things are going to start becoming confusing componet configurations-wise in 11' BUT pricing/availability/preformance is gonna be great for us. :)
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | Crucial Ballistix MAX DDR4 4000 32 gig kit
Asus Xonar AU | Asus ROG 6600 XT | Corsair RM850X | Fractial Designs Refine R5
Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2 | SG Firecuda 2 Tb | Win 10 Pro
Heatware 45-0|RFDware 13-0
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2009
6858 posts
5573 upvotes
M-Arkham
If you really want to go intel, then go ahead, go with Intel, not stopping you on that, just not much future proofing since Intel is changing sockets again.

If you want to use a 1tb hdd as your main OS drive, see if you can find a WD 1TB black, but otherwise that should be fine, not really a big deal.

But the one thing I highly recommend changing would be the Videocard, it's not worth it to get a GTX 260 for over $200, when you can get a ATI 5770 for less then $180, and ATI cards are better then Nvidia cards atm.
Signature removed due to rule violation