Scammers and Warnings

Potentially being scammed by buyer of phone?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2010 10:47 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2003
4258 posts
1028 upvotes
GTA
I cover my behind by asking the buyer to test everything before money is exchanged hands. I also don't see how I can test the carrier lock seeing as I do not have any SIMs for that carrier. It was working fine using it unlocked with my carrier and then I reset and (accidentally) updated the phone to iOS 4.1 (which was not unlockable at the time). The friend I originally bought the phone from assured me multiple it's locked to that carrier and I have no reason to doubt him. The day of the scheduled refund I arranged for a SIM to test and, surprise!, the buyer didn't bring the phone.

If the buyer's kid threw up/got sick, his wife didn't like the phone and sent him to the couch for the night, I don't see how that's concern for me as the seller. After we confirm the date and time he should pack it in his bag. Nowhere in my original sale did it state that I accept refunds - it was offered out of good will because at first I questioned the locked carrier. When I confirmed with my friend the locked carrier that's when I started having suspicious behind the buyer's motives for return.

My phone was priced higher than average because it was in almost mint condition and with extras. On the scheduled meeting day, he requested to return the phone five days after the original purchase (meet Monday instead of Friday, phone was sold on Wednesday). That's a lot of time to buy a different phone for cheaper, or play with the phone for the weekend and return with no money lost.

Only after I retracted my offer to refund did the tone of his e-mails go from short and cheery to panicking. His voice mails also made him sound very uncertain with lots of long umms and ahhs. The fact that he stresses being professional yet goes on to threaten me and writes "ur pissing the crap out of me now!" is a big red flag. If you want to deal professionally with someone, keep it civil and keep it professional yourself!

After his threatening e-mail I did not send him any responses.

The last message I received (after the threathening e-mail): "I am assuming you are not going to take the phone back!?! Please confirm!"

He has not contacted me since.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2008
1441 posts
26 upvotes
Any more emails/communication from buyer?
Banned
Feb 20, 2007
3042 posts
1316 upvotes
Here's what I think you should do, you seem like a reasonable guy and from the replies from the buyer he doesn't sound like a scammer(yet). Obviously the guy is afraid to lose money on an item he can't use so some threats are not avoidable but I don't really find those as threats. Why not just meet up with him and check the phone out to see if its the one you sold him, you did say that there are some marks on it you can recognize. Shouldn't jump to conclusions like that just cause the guy forgot the phone, it happens. Anyways, this buyer seems like the type who would go to a lot of trouble to cause trouble for you. Plus there's karma, so why not meet up make sure if its the same item and if its not then refuse him, if it is, do the refund.
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10963 posts
791 upvotes
Scarborough
In my opinion, you shouldn't return the money.

You gave the guy a chance already to return it and he failed to bring the product. How can one remember to meet but fail to bring the product which is the whole point of the meeting.

I personally feel it is a scam and you should avoid the buyer.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50593 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
thechampion116 wrote: In my opinion, you shouldn't return the money.

You gave the guy a chance already to return it and he failed to bring the product. How can one remember to meet but fail to bring the product which is the whole point of the meeting.

I personally feel it is a scam and you should avoid the buyer.

This.

It's your choice though OP, Keep us updated. I honestly think It's a scam.
Oct 2, 2010
430 posts
173 upvotes
He shouldn't have any problem selling it himself for close to the same price. Plus he was even willing to knock off $20.. so he could easily make that back or more if he flips it. That is unless he has tampered with it in some irreversible way.. or pulled a swap in which case he would have no incentive to re-sell.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2003
4258 posts
1028 upvotes
GTA
The buyer still has not contacted me since, and I did not reply to that last e-mail I pasted in my previous post. It's been one week... pretty sure this is now over.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
3456 posts
3341 upvotes
Obviously you have to be wary of scammers etc. I think you mentioned in a previous post that you were aware of a few distinctive nicks on the phone that you'd be able to recognize.

Bottom line though you advertised something and sold something else. As someone currently in the market for an iphone, if someone told me that their phone was from my carrier and I went and bought it from them and it wasn't. I'd be a little pissed because although there are unlocks, I'd rather not upgrade my firmware to an ipad firmware that can't be reversed in order to be able to use the phone. Yes you gave the opportunity to return it in which he made a mistake (yes a mistake. anything other than that is just pure speculation).

It seems as though this thread is more or less over with as no one's posted in 6+ days but I just wanted to point out that I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that most of these people that are saying "final sale too bad for him" would be the FIRST ones pissing and moaning if they got screwed over in a similar fashion.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)