Potty training at the day care

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 12th, 2017 1:21 pm
[OP]
Jan 22, 2017
18 posts
11 upvotes

Potty training at the day care

My child is not being potty trained at the day care. They say that the parents have to do it.
We thought that if he looks at other kids, he may learn from them also. He does not respond to us at home.

Is this solely parent's responsibility, or the day care also have to help him in the training?
15 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2005
4871 posts
639 upvotes
I totally agree it's solely the parents' responsibility. While the daycare will assist by seeing and imitating what other kids are doing at daycare, it's your responsibility to ensure that the potty training is done to your satisfaction.

My son would use the potty at daycare along with the other toddlers but refused to use the potty at home. It's been a long road, but he's almost there. The amount of time to potty train a kid varies greatly.
↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A, START

There are no apostrophes in plurals! "I have 1000 posts" = correct. "I have 1000 post's" = incorrect!
Could've, would've, should've. It's simple English, people!
Voila: French, meaning "There it is!" or "Look!" Viola: A medium-sized stringed instrument Wala: An island of Vanuatu.
[OP]
Jan 22, 2017
18 posts
11 upvotes
rf134a wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 11:36 am
I totally agree it's solely the parents' responsibility. While the daycare will assist by seeing and imitating what other kids are doing at daycare, it's your responsibility to ensure that the potty training is done to your satisfaction.

My son would use the potty at daycare along with the other toddlers but refused to use the potty at home. It's been a long road, but he's almost there. The amount of time to potty train a kid varies greatly.
Thanks, how old was your son before he started using the potty. Mine is 3 now :(
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2005
4871 posts
639 upvotes
He was 2 when he started using the potty... everywhere except at home and with mom&dad. He was perfectly fine using the potty at Grandma's house and daycare. Up to age 34 months, he would still poo in his diaper at home. At 36 months, he stopped pooing in his diaper but rarely pees in the potty. The daycare has told us to switch to regular underwear at home since his diaper is totally dry at daycare and he does his business in the toilet. I guess peer pressure works, but it's still up to mom & dad to encourage the complete switch from pull-ups to undies.

He'll be 38 months in a couple of days, so don't feel discouraged. One of our friends said boys are stupid, everything takes longer to for them to learn. :D His daughter was fully potty trained at 18 months.
↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A, START

There are no apostrophes in plurals! "I have 1000 posts" = correct. "I have 1000 post's" = incorrect!
Could've, would've, should've. It's simple English, people!
Voila: French, meaning "There it is!" or "Look!" Viola: A medium-sized stringed instrument Wala: An island of Vanuatu.
Mar 24, 2015
467 posts
70 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
My son's daycare does potty training. My other son's daycare did too. They start potty training when they see the toddlers waking up from nap with dry diaper. When they started potty training at daycare, we started at home too to be consistent. They asked for pull up instead of diaper, So we do pull up at home too, but diaper during the night. My son is 32 months. Pees on the toilet but still poops in his pull up. When I catch him trying to poop, I just grab him quick and make him sit on the toilet. It took longer with my first. With my second it's faster, he just wants to do what big bro does.
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
12541 posts
2668 upvotes
Ottawa
Potty training is more of a routine regimen.
All kids are encouraged to go at specific times throughout the day and if they don't; they're not sitting there with each kid invidually to help them any further.
Best to do the teaching at home, where you can spend more than 2mins, which would be the most the caregiver gives to the kid.
Dec 12, 2005
342 posts
11 upvotes
Richmond
If the child is not showing any interest, I would not push it hard but encourage as each child does it differently. No set age that the child must be potty trained.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
1441 posts
415 upvotes
It's up to the day care if they offer this service, and it is a service. Our daughters daycare did not do it, it was a government run facility and very expensive but as she was a crown ward at the time the day care was covered so cost is not a factor in whether they help with potty training.

We put a potty board beside the toilet and she got to put stickers on it when she went potty, she went straight from diapers to toilet (with potty ring, and step stool) at 2 years old. Our son is 5 months younger and followed suite within a week of her starting to use it. We tried a potty that was thier size beside the toilet but neither liked or used it at all.
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
12541 posts
2668 upvotes
Ottawa
ai_c wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 4:18 pm
If the child is not showing any interest, I would not push it hard but encourage as each child does it differently. No set age that the child must be potty trained.
The only set age, is fully trained by the time they go to JK.
Jan 26, 2014
37 posts
2 upvotes
I remember potty training was such a big hurdle with our boy. In the summer he would go pant less so that he is aware every time he pees or poos and we would often remind him to pee, especially after meals and after waking up. Every time he made a face that looked like he was about to poo, (he would always deny it when we asked) we would rush him to sit on a kiddy sized floor potty. We would then encourage him to poo and it may take a while so we would read stories, play with toys or sing songs to make it fun and to pass the time while he finished pooing (we had to put up with the smell). We would always praise him. It took a few months and it was not easy, but it's doable.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2007
4669 posts
708 upvotes
Daycare was instumental in getting our twins trained.

It would have been very hard without their suuport and guidence.

Daughter was fully trained at 28 months. Son at about 31. Still use diapes overnight, but they are waking up with empty diapers 1-2 days/week so they will soon be ready for overnight too. They havent pooped in a diaper since they were trained, even overnight, they wake up and go #2, then go back to bed.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
7843 posts
1052 upvotes
my son just started last week, hes 3.5, very smart kid and had 0 interest in the potty, and them boom, overnight hes peeing on the potty every single time.

we were starting to think he was going to go to school in diapers.

my daughter (his twin sister) has been fully trained since 2 1/4, including overnight, she hasn't worn a diaper in a year.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
7843 posts
1052 upvotes
and yes we use a dayhome, and they are fully involved in the potty training and give us reports when needed.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2364 posts
298 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
My son at 2 would prefer to carry his poop around with him all day over letting us change his diaper. From others I've talked to, once the kids decide they want to do it, it's only a matter of days.
signature removed for inappropriate content
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27321 posts
570 upvotes
Dildo, NL
Day care & Potty Trg.

I guess if you paid them enough they'd do it. Generally speaking, you frankly would need to hire another employee to just go around and monitor potty training. An expense daycare will not readily JUMP at the opportunity to do it.

This is really a 24/7 project. What if you undid all the training they did all day long, only to start over from scratch the next morning. I'd be pissed. I would also be charging you a surcharge. If you care, once you see the child have a real interest in it, take a couple days off from work and gettur done.
???unlim CDN air&msging???unlim Global SMS???CD/VM???8Gb???$45
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Suck it Trebeck]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Tutorial: HotLinking Pics in Posts
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel