• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2019 1:09 pm
[OP]
Mar 6, 2019
12 posts
6 upvotes

Potty training tips

Does anyone have tips on how to get your littles one potty training? Not sure where to even start... all feedback will be greatly appreciated, thanks!
17 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15412 posts
5679 upvotes
- Don't start too young. It can be very challenging when their language skills are limited to discuss what is going on.
- Make potty fun. Have a special potty book(s), etc. (we had https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/bo ... -item.html and https://www.amazon.ca/Potty-Sesame-Stre ... 038538369X)
- At the beginning you want to see if they have interest. Don't shame them, don't force them. Let them go at their own pace.
- We used the Ikea potty. When you have boys it can...sometimes escape in the space between the seat and the bowl. You can get special seats of course but we thought it'd be "special" for him to have his own potty.
- Ensure you have something to protect the mattress from accidents (eventually you'll trust them to do their naps without a diaper, but there will be accidents occasionally).
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
25760 posts
11945 upvotes
Ottawa
Is you kid in daycare?
That's the best place to learn, as they see their peers do it and will want to do it also.
Nov 23, 2015
580 posts
280 upvotes
Winnipeg
TrevorK wrote:
Mar 10th, 2019 10:16 pm
- Don't start too young. It can be very challenging when their language skills are limited to discuss what is going on.
- Make potty fun. Have a special potty book(s), etc. (we had https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/bo ... -item.html and https://www.amazon.ca/Potty-Sesame-Stre ... 038538369X)
- At the beginning you want to see if they have interest. Don't shame them, don't force them. Let them go at their own pace.
- We used the Ikea potty. When you have boys it can...sometimes escape in the space between the seat and the bowl. You can get special seats of course but we thought it'd be "special" for him to have his own potty.
- Ensure you have something to protect the mattress from accidents (eventually you'll trust them to do their naps without a diaper, but there will be accidents occasionally).
Excellent advice.

The key point IMO is to not pressure the kids too early. Kids will learn at their own pace and imposing it too early will just make it negative for everyone.

For instance, my son took a little longer than average to start using the potty, but once he did, there was no looking back. He got really good and consequently has very seldom had accidents. On the other hand my daughter was interested in the potty at a younger age, but she still occasionally has accidents and hasn't really mastered it yet. But she's trying and that's OK. We don't get too bent out shape if there are accidents.
Aug 31, 2014
127 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto, ON
What's average age for a boy?
Feb 19, 2019
16 posts
10 upvotes
Stouffville ON
Tsanger wrote:
Mar 11th, 2019 1:05 pm
It all depend if you child is ready emotionally and physically. Baby boys are usually ready few month later then girls.You should start the training around three years old.
Full Service / Rebate Realtor.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15412 posts
5679 upvotes
Tsanger wrote:
Mar 11th, 2019 1:05 pm
Our daycare starts kids around 2 years old because there are kids as old as 3 in their room so they see it happen and become interested. Some succeed and some fail, most of the ones that have older siblings tend to succeed quicker. To be honest I think that's a bit young myself but when you're in a room with other kids who are potty training it's probably tough to be in your diaper.

Among friends who did not use daycare I have seen people waiting until 3 and having great success. Starting at 2 means there are a lot of "learning" moments.

Remember that success does not mean they go without their diaper 24/7. At the beginning you have them going without their diaper during the daytime hours and wearing it at nap / sleeping. Then when they are able to have dry diapers over nap consistently and understand about going before their nap you remove it. At this time they are still wearing one over night, and likely will for some time.
Aug 31, 2014
127 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto, ON
TrevorK wrote: Our daycare starts kids around 2 years old because there are kids as old as 3 in their room so they see it happen and become interested. Some succeed and some fail, most of the ones that have older siblings tend to succeed quicker. To be honest I think that's a bit young myself but when you're in a room with other kids who are potty training it's probably tough to be in your diaper.

Among friends who did not use daycare I have seen people waiting until 3 and having great success. Starting at 2 means there are a lot of "learning" moments.

Remember that success does not mean they go without their diaper 24/7. At the beginning you have them going without their diaper during the daytime hours and wearing it at nap / sleeping. Then when they are able to have dry diapers over nap consistently and understand about going before their nap you remove it. At this time they are still wearing one over night, and likely will for some time.
Thanks!!! Our little one is 19mo and started to be a little bit interested - when I say I have to go potty, he'll run to our washroom to point to the toilet, or sometimes when he's peeing in his diaper he'll tap me on the shoulder to let me know. He'll also be going to a 2-3 year old classroom in September so maybe we'll wait til then.

We also have a dog and he also "goes potty" so I don't know if that helps at all or not? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
25760 posts
11945 upvotes
Ottawa
senasena wrote:
Mar 11th, 2019 2:03 pm
It all depend if you child is ready emotionally and physically. Baby boys are usually ready few month later then girls.You should start the training around three years old.
I wouldn't wait that long, unless the child has difficulties walking and sitting.
Apr 10, 2011
472 posts
223 upvotes
I think it depends on the child, as with everything. My 2.75 year old boy has been peeing on the potty since he was 18 months but REFUSES to poop on the potty. We've tried everything. He's just not ready.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15412 posts
5679 upvotes
Tsanger wrote:
Mar 12th, 2019 10:43 am
Thanks!!! Our little one is 19mo and started to be a little bit interested - when I say I have to go potty, he'll run to our washroom to point to the toilet, or sometimes when he's peeing in his diaper he'll tap me on the shoulder to let me know. He'll also be going to a 2-3 year old classroom in September so maybe we'll wait til then.

We also have a dog and he also "goes potty" so I don't know if that helps at all or not? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Your little one sounds interested so I would give it a shot. I'm not saying to let them run around without diapers or anything, but letting them sit on the toilet on a regular basis seems like something worth doing if they already seem to enjoy it.

Every child is different - and we can see that at our daycare (some kids older than 3 still have accidents regularly).
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8269 posts
927 upvotes
Imo, just wait till they're older and basically ready on their own. The whole process is faster and happier.

Our first we tried early on without much continuous success. We didn't want to push it so we took a break. Tried again around 2.5 and it took like 2 weekends?

For our second we waited till he was basically 23 months. It took literally 1 day of trying.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7331 posts
809 upvotes
GTA
I think every child is different. My daughter always waited to do things - everything, even walking, until she felt confident she could do it well.

She was hesitant to use the potty and we didn't actually start until she was a bit older than 3. We didn't use a potty, but just the toilet insert that goes over the regular seat. She had about 2 accidents but within a week was trained with peeing very easily.

The pooping took much much longer. To the point I was concerned she would be ready for kindergarten. She knew when she had to go but refused without a diaper. Everytime she had to go she would request a diaper. We had no option but to allow it as if we didn't she'd hold it and get constipated. Then one day, about 4 months before kindergarten, she decided on her own she was ready and never needed a diaper again.

There is a huge range of how to train. My daughter started late in comparison to many other kids but it was the right time for her.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10238 posts
1521 upvotes
Toronto
We didn't even really try until she was nearly 3 which is recently. She was doing it at her home daycare, following the other kids. But as her mental aptitude improved, she just 'got it'. I agree that it's not necessary to start too young. Around 3 is a good time, though many will try younger, I don't think it's anything to be ashamed until they're in the 3 year age range.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
25760 posts
11945 upvotes
Ottawa
I just want to clarify that starting early is the best, otherwise you will have problems when then start J/K.
The teachers will not hold their hands, nor provide a bathroom routine.
If they soil themselves, they are required to change their own clothes and the teacher isn't going to wipe them down.
Now here's the kicker, say they soil themselves again in the extra clothes...you will be called to pick them up.