Careers

power engineering tech. vs electrical engineering tech.

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2017 6:00 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Sep 22, 2009
580 posts
37 upvotes

power engineering tech. vs electrical engineering tech.

The power engineer technologist one is a 2yr fast track program in which I would receive a 3yr advanced diploma, while the electrical is a 3yr program with an advanced diploma. I'm leaning to the former but just because I'd like to get into the field as fast as possible but the semester workload looks kinda heavy. Start date is in September.

Any idea on what 4th class, 3rd class, etc power engineers make? And also the latter option, electrical engineering technology, what does that lead to in terms of salary, work environment? These are the 2 I've narrowed it to at the local college, please help me decide.
18 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2006
3370 posts
346 upvotes
Brisbane
kabza wrote: The power engineer technologist one is a 2yr fast track program in which I would receive a 3yr advanced diploma, while the electrical is a 3yr program with an advanced diploma. I'm leaning to the former but just because I'd like to get into the field as fast as possible but the semester workload looks kinda heavy. Start date is in September.

Any idea on what 4th class, 3rd class, etc power engineers make? And also the latter option, electrical engineering technology, what does that lead to in terms of salary, work environment? These are the 2 I've narrowed it to at the local college, please help me decide.
Surprise! Engineering and Engineering technologies have a big workload! Yes, it's time consuming... but if you're single and don't have a family and/or a job, it's very manageable. Very rewarding in my experience, too.

I work with several technologists (I'm an EIT). They make good money, and it's definitely not a drafting job. They focused on instrumentation for industrial facilities. Some very experienced guys out there. Work environment is an office, and depending on the projects you do, frequent field work and travel (say, 10-30% of your yearly work days, or more). One of my coworkers, technologist, just left for a six month on-site commissioning job at one of our customer's mills. He's away from his wife and 2 yr old son for six months, but makes very good "isolation" pay while he's there. The ceiling isn't great for technologists, but I would take an educated guess that they make $60-80k/yr after several years of experience, and about $40k/yr to start.

My dad is a 5th class power engineer and manages the energy system at the veneer mill he works at. He has almost 25 years experience, so that helps his salary (he only got his power cert a couple years ago). Once he got the cert, though, his earnings jumped about $30k with overtime. He makes in excess of $100k/yr I believe.
Banned
Sep 22, 2009
580 posts
37 upvotes
Truemana wrote: Surprise! Engineering and Engineering technologies have a big workload! Yes, it's time consuming... but if you're single and don't have a family and/or a job, it's very manageable. Very rewarding in my experience, too.

I work with several technologists (I'm an EIT). They make good money, and it's definitely not a drafting job. They focused on instrumentation for industrial facilities. Some very experienced guys out there. Work environment is an office, and depending on the projects you do, frequent field work and travel (say, 10-30% of your yearly work days, or more). One of my coworkers, technologist, just left for a six month on-site commissioning job at one of our customer's mills. He's away from his wife and 2 yr old son for six months, but makes very good "isolation" pay while he's there. The ceiling isn't great for technologists, but I would take an educated guess that they make $60-80k/yr after several years of experience, and about $40k/yr to start.

My dad is a 5th class power engineer and manages the energy system at the veneer mill he works at. He has almost 25 years experience, so that helps his salary (he only got his power cert a couple years ago). Once he got the cert, though, his earnings jumped about $30k with overtime. He makes in excess of $100k/yr I believe.
EIT? Electronic Information Tech or Engineer in training? btw your buddy was an electrical engineer tech I'm thinking? So your dad is a 5th class making 100k? I'm probably gonna lean in that direction. I prefer more of a hands on approach. Here is the "highlights" from this particular program.

PROGRAM HIGHLIGHTS

This program is a "fast track" program which means you will earn an Ontario College Advanced Diploma in just two years.

At the forefront of offering preparation towards Certification for 3rd Class Operating Engineers under T.S.S.A. (Technical Standards and Safety Authority) and the SOPEEC (Standardized Interprovincial certification)

Strong industry support for summer work placement in registered TSSA plants and facilities

Eligibility for certification in Building Environmental Systems through an agreement with Seneca College, Energy Training Ontario and Natural Resources Canada

Certified Engineering Technologist designation agreement with OACETT (Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technologists and Technicians) is possible

So apparently I'd come out of it ready to challenge 3rd class. Thanks for the input.
Jul 3, 2007
299 posts
19 upvotes
im currently a 4th class power engineer working on my 3rd. I work full time and I find it really hard to do both. the 4th class exams were pretty easy. That being said only half of my class passed. The 3rd class exams are more difficult. i would say 4th class engineer make between 30k-70k. 3rd class 45k-85k. 2nd class 80k-200k and 1st class 100k and up
Jun 3, 2005
852 posts
2 upvotes
which school are you going to ?
Shiiii.....................
Jul 3, 2007
299 posts
19 upvotes
Right now im doing it through the mississauga one. Its an online course. I would prefer going to an actual school, but I work full time
Mar 25, 2008
24 posts
5 upvotes
There is no demand for Power Engineering at the moment. Most of the eligible students, even those with a 4.0 GPA, who applied for a co-op could not get one and so have to find summer jobs in any other field from May to December 2010. This means they will not get 'Steam time' so they might not become 4th class power engineers after they graduate. :cry:
Apr 8, 2006
18 posts
cecoil wrote: There is no demand for Power Engineering at the moment. Most of the eligible students, even those with a 4.0 GPA, who applied for a co-op could not get one and so have to find summer jobs in any other field from May to December 2010. This means they will not get 'Steam time' so they might not become 4th class power engineers after they graduate. :cry:
Is that only in Sarnia? Does anyone know if the employment prospects for Power Engineering are also that bad in Toronto?
Aug 10, 2008
263 posts
29 upvotes
Ontario
The only way you can land up a decent job as a power engineer will be in the oil patch and pulp mills out west. And remember there's a lot of nepotism involved in that profession as well, as in the 1st and 2nd class engineers will try to get their kids placed in their plants. But the pay is usually pretty good if you can hang on, and keep moving up to get your 2nd class. A 2nd class power engineer in Alberta can easily make around $100k after 10-15 years of experience, but remember it will take you that long realistically to become a 2nd class anyway.

Also once you get your 3rd class, it's probably one of the most stable jobs out there, and it's very difficult to get fired unless the mill where you're working shuts down.

I don't know much about electrical engineering techs.
Banned
Sep 22, 2009
580 posts
37 upvotes
fred155 wrote: Is that only in Sarnia? Does anyone know if the employment prospects for Power Engineering are also that bad in Toronto?
I don't think it's necessarily that the employment prospects are bad, its just that you require steam time before you can become a 4th class. And apparently this is difficult to achieve. I've learned that the particular program I'm looking into provides a 12 week work placement so the 4th class can be obtained. I've looked at the Sarnia Lambton college prog and they don't even make mention of this. I've personally narrowed it to either this program or civil engineering technology. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, namely the latter has more opportunity for self-employment in the future once you learn the ins and outs.
Apr 8, 2006
18 posts
The program I'm looking at also includes a work placement term with steam team, so I would graduate with my 4th class.

Moving so that I can land a job in the oil patch or pulp mills out west is something I want to avoid. Since I'm really only interested in living in Toronto, it seems like power engineering probably wouldn't be a good career choice for me.

Thanks for the replies.
Oct 17, 2012
41 posts
2 upvotes
Saskatoon
so any one know what is the best place to study power engineer in Sask
Oct 1, 2012
11 posts
2 upvotes
GIBBONS
SIAST in Saskatoon is the only place to study Power Engineering in Sask I believe.
Oct 17, 2012
41 posts
2 upvotes
Saskatoon
anyone done power engineer from SIAST. More interested in COOP based power engineer course
Aug 28, 2015
2 posts
Toronto, ON
Hey .. does anybody know the difference between electrical engineering technician powers vs electrical engineering technician controls? Which pays more? and which has more job demand? I'm planning on applying.... but I haven't gotten an idea of what i'm getting myself into. Originally i wanted to become an electrician, but that's so hard to get into since I can't seem to find a sponsor.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5697 posts
1522 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Power Engineering became saturated in major City areas once everyone started knowing about it, and there is little work unless you have at least your 3rd class, as the market is saturated with 4ths. Experienced 3rds can make 200K in the oilfield, but you likely will have to work in some dump in the middle of nowhere place. This one polluted oilfield town of about 400 people had a plant operator that was making around 400K/year, but the place is so terrible that you couldn't live there for a week without being miserable; rarely anyone smiled. Rotation wise, commonly 12 hour shifts with one day shift guy and one night, and you work half the year something along the lines of a week on and a week off, or 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off. So work-life balance isn't that bad if you put aside the fact you have to work away from home in a dump.

Power Engineering is a bit broad though, some people work in electrical plants, some in O&G, some in pulp and paper, and you might even find one at a hospital.

That was my idea before I started getting into the electrical trade. Unfortunately my acceptance letter got sent to my old address that I never knew about.
Accountant (Public Practice)
Feb 20, 2013
23 posts
2 upvotes
I am a 3rd class Power Engineer in Ontario. What I can tell is it can be hard to start off in this trade but once you have a couple years experience and a 3rd class you can make 100k a year no problem. I average around 130k. The jobs can either be really busy or really slow. Plus I know a lot of people that went the nuclear operator route after finishing their program.
Jul 17, 2017
3 posts
Late to this conversation- I have 2 questions:
  1. any update to this? It is 2017 now, are hiring prospects better, worse, same?
    an earlier poster (johntdsb) mentioned he was taking this course via correspondence in mississauga- I am specifically looking for a correspondence course but can't find one. Does anyone know of this place or any other one?
Jul 17, 2017
3 posts
Late to this conversation- question specifically for you johntdsb- which school is this? I am looking for power eng by correspondence, can't find it anywhere.