Fitness and Nutrition

Powerblocks vs alternative adjustable dumbbells?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 25th, 2019 5:16 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
1186 posts
970 upvotes
EDMONTON

Powerblocks vs alternative adjustable dumbbells?

My wife and I work out to FitnessBlender on Youtube and they use Powerblocks. They seem really good. Anyone think I should consider Bowflex or other brands, or just buy these? Anyone know where the best prices are?

Thanks
7 replies
Jun 6, 2009
418 posts
45 upvotes
I bought the bowflex ones on black friday for 299$ i believe. I've been using them regularly and like them alot.
Feb 15, 2019
6 posts
1 upvote
Price is similar enough between bowflex or powerblocks. Just buy the ones you prefer. I don't like the long and unbalanced (bottom-heavy) bowflex ones personally. You can't buy expansion sets for the bowflex either (can quickly become limiting for some exercises). As far as price goes, it mainly depends on what stores are around you because shipping would most likely kill any internet deal. My local fitness depot (<1km away and has good staff) has the sport exp set for $375.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
1186 posts
970 upvotes
EDMONTON
trevor346 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 12:39 am
Price is similar enough between bowflex or powerblocks. Just buy the ones you prefer. I don't like the long and unbalanced (bottom-heavy) bowflex ones personally. You can't buy expansion sets for the bowflex either (can quickly become limiting for some exercises). As far as price goes, it mainly depends on what stores are around you because shipping would most likely kill any internet deal. My local fitness depot (<1km away and has good staff) has the sport exp set for $375.
I see the U-70 Powerblocks locally for $350. Seems like a decent deal...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8102 posts
1733 upvotes
Ontario
How much are you willing to spend?

If you don't mind spending a bit more on what is known by many as the highest quality, most durable, and most 'feels like a regular dumbbell', look at Ironmaster adjustable dumbbells.

You can start with 45lbs if that's all you need, but they also have 75lbs starter (or just get the 45lbs + 75lbs addition if you don't want the stand). They also have kits to expand to 120lbs and even 165lbs. Beyond the 75lbs mark, individual dumbbells get cost prohibitive, and even if the price is kind of high in the higher ranges, it pales if you needed individual weights. They have a lifetime warranty, no plastic parts, you can drop them, they have a flat lock so it rests well on your thigh, etc. These will last you forever.
Mar 17, 2006
368 posts
30 upvotes
Have had a set of Powerblocks 2*90lb and stand for six years work very well for me just about to order some add on weight
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
6858 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
Kijiji for deals, not like they wear out easily

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)