Careers

A Powerful Networking Technique Ignore By 95% of People

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 23rd, 2014 10:05 am
Jul 28, 2012
206 posts
42 upvotes

A Powerful Networking Technique Ignore By 95% of People

My gf sent me this article by Vlad Novak who dishes out career advice on his blog and one on one to ppl apparently. Just wondering if anyone has tried this cold email approach to meet people at other companies and what has their success rate been with it?

Here's the link for anyone interested in reading the article itself:

http://www.scoremydreamjob.com/2014/04/ ... of-people/
15 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
4117 posts
1216 upvotes
One of my friends cold emailed, and then did the coffee thing, and eventually landed his dream job. Networking definitely works, but to me the big challenge isn't that it's "nerve wracking"; it's that it's time consuming.
Jul 28, 2012
206 posts
42 upvotes
Thanks for the reply! do you have any details on what he said and what level of seniority the person he contacted was?
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2007
2116 posts
1137 upvotes
I used to network for a living and could write a book on it. Best networking techniques differ depending on the circumstances, so you can't apply this blog just anywhere. The pitch is also far more important than the medium you use to communicate.

How are these other companies related to you and why would you like to meet them?
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1863 posts
344 upvotes
Woodbridge
^^ great points.
Ive used this technique with limited success rate(on positive responses).

For my job now, through a network contact I went to coffee with my current boss.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1170 posts
1016 upvotes
Any tips for a business student looking for summer internships?
I know it's all networking, but what's the best way to approach it and stand out from my other classmates?

Also, the article mentions that you shouldn't talk about the fact that you're looking for a job. But the moment you reach out to someone, won't that person automatically realize that this person just wants a job from me and will eventually end up asking?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
^I think you will need to have some connection with that other person before this would work.

Your approach may be to research the hack out of the company you are interviewing or get the network for people in the industry that you want to work it, so in the interview you may be able to say something like, "I read an article about your company doing really well in the last quarter due to project X." or "I went to a luncheon and Mr. So & so from your company was a guest speaker/fellow attendee."

Another way I used to get my first job was by cold email too, researched the direct email of the department manager at company x, forwarded my resume and he ended up calling me when they needed someone. This way, my resume wasn't stuck in the HR resume bank and stands out from the how many others they have.

If he/she asked how you got the email, then is another opportune to establish the connection, "Oh, I saw an interview you did / an article you wrote on..." or "My friend X was your former employee, internship student, etc."

Linked in is also a very powerful tool, sign up for the paid version if you have too.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
I don't want to work.

Will this technique also work in networking with old rich dudes that are looking for an heir?

To a lesser extent old rich ladies looking for a 'pool boy'?
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
2087 posts
504 upvotes
Toronto
Tried something similar but its difficult to get people make time for a stranger. Perhaps others who have used this technique successfully can shed some light on how.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1368 upvotes
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 90% of networking simply being sincere and likeable? I've been turned off by excellent pitches before simply because they sound corny or rehearsed. The more natural you are, and the more organic the flow of the conversation, the more receptive people will be to you. Like most people, I'm not a sociopath, so I can't just flip a switch and be someone I'm not for personal gain. What I can do is be myself, be relaxed and carry a conversation. Is there really more to it than that?
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Penalty Box
Jul 11, 2008
4368 posts
1508 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
this would work only because nobody ever really does it. if more and more people do it, it'll become a spam and people will be turned off.
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Syne wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 90% of networking simply being sincere and likeable? I've been turned off by excellent pitches before simply because they sound corny or rehearsed. The more natural you are, and the more organic the flow of the conversation, the more perceptive people will be to you. Like most people, I'm not a sociopath, so I can't just flip a switch and be someone I'm not for personal gain. What I can do is be myself, be relaxed and carry a conversation. Is there really more to it than that?
Once you meet the person yes, but half the job is getting the right circumstances (time, place, context) right so they'll be receptive enough to hear you.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1505 upvotes
Syne wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 90% of networking simply being sincere and likeable? I've been turned off by excellent pitches before simply because they sound corny or rehearsed. The more natural you are, and the more organic the flow of the conversation, the more receptive people will be to you. Like most people, I'm not a sociopath, so I can't just flip a switch and be someone I'm not for personal gain. What I can do is be myself, be relaxed and carry a conversation. Is there really more to it than that?
Good point. I am indeed far more receptive to someone when it doesn't look like they are trying to connect with me for ulterior motives.
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I know that the people I'm networking with are not idiots so I always assume they know that I'm networking, but despite this, the point is that I try to connect to them as a person, not a tool used to attain a job. If people see you're a person and not just a worker, it tends to work in your favor, especially in my industry.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
1148 posts
492 upvotes
tebore wrote: I don't want to work.

Will this technique also work in networking with old rich dudes that are looking for an heir?

To a lesser extent old rich ladies looking for a 'pool boy'?
What about old rich dude looking for a pool boy?
2006 - Pepsi/Frito Lay Win Every Hour Contest - 1279 Entries - Loser!
Deal Addict
May 24, 2010
1034 posts
153 upvotes
i thought this was going to be a oral hanky panky thread