Expired Freebies

POWERSTREAM Energy Management Pilot Project ($800 worth of equipment)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2018 4:06 pm
[OP]
Dec 26, 2006
164 posts
91 upvotes

POWERSTREAM Energy Management Pilot Project ($800 worth of equipment)

Deal Link:
There is a new pilot project introduced by Rogers and Powerstream that will help you save on your energy consumption costs. There is no cost for 10 months but there is no obligation at the end to sign up for anything.

You will receive
- New thermostat
- Wireless touchpad
- 2 smart plugs
- 2 door sensors
- 2 motion sensors
- free install

The best part is you get to keep all the equipment at the end of the project. Note: you have to be a Powerstream customer to be eligible.

https://www.powerstream.ca/app/pages/REM-pilot.jsp

I'll update early next week when the install is complete.
Images
32 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11040 posts
3412 upvotes
Toronto, ON
How long ago did you sign up for the pilot project?
[OP]
Dec 26, 2006
164 posts
91 upvotes
I got the email on Tuesday morning. Signed up online that night. Got a call from Rogers this morning to schedule install date.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2011
1475 posts
384 upvotes
Toronto
Darn... not a powerstream customer...
Nov 30, 2005
581 posts
43 upvotes
I signed up last night after seeing it on their website too. Anyone have experience with this program who can give feedback?
Jun 15, 2011
38591 posts
5574 upvotes
King City
So there is no cost to this, or no obligation to sign up afterwards? Don't want to be tricked into signing up on a contract of some sort with Powerstream or Rogers.

What if one already has door and motion sensors with their existing alarm company?
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
11040 posts
3412 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I signed up and will update when I get an installation appointment. It looks like this projected started in September. I wonder if I have an existing alarm system for the house, whether that will affect things.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
14119 posts
4964 upvotes
Oakville
That looks like the Rogers Smart Home Monitoring touchpad... I'm guessing there will be a hard sell to try to get you to sign up for it when the pilot is done.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11040 posts
3412 upvotes
Toronto, ON
wearysky wrote:
Nov 20th, 2015 1:50 pm
That looks like the Rogers Smart Home Monitoring touchpad... I'm guessing there will be a hard sell to try to get you to sign up for it when the pilot is done.
Someone mentioned in another thread that there is/was a promotion where if you had cable, internet an home phone with Rogers, they were throwing in Smart Home Monitoring for free for the duration of the term (1-2 years). If they are willing to bundle SHM for free with my other home services, I'd be willing to keep them after the pilot project finishes.
[OP]
Dec 26, 2006
164 posts
91 upvotes
Looks like they've reached their quota for installs. Was trying to sign up a friend today and there was an update on the webpage:

UPDATE: We have now reached our maximum number of installations for the current phase of the REM pilot program. We have a wait list for customers who would be eligible for an installation in the event of cancelations. If you’d like to register now, you’ll be placed on our wait list and contacted as spots become available. All registrations will be booked on a first come, first served basis Thank you for your interest – you’ve helped make the launch of the REM pilot program a great success!

Hope most of you guys got in before they closed it.

Guys with Rogers Smart Home Monitoring, what are your feedback on the service. I'm mainly trying to lower hydro cost as it jumped 20% since the last price increase.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11040 posts
3412 upvotes
Toronto, ON
vtech_chump, can you update us on how your install went and if you have any initial thoughts about the system?

Do they need to drill holes in the wall to install the door/window and motion sensors? If we have an existing alarm, would they be able to reuse those sensors/wiring?
[OP]
Dec 26, 2006
164 posts
91 upvotes
Install was done earlier this week.

1 Salus thermostat
1 Rogers tablet
2 motion sensors
2 door sensors
2 smart plugs

In addition to this, they've installed a Netgear wireless router behind my home router. All the sensors are wireless, no need to drill holes and run wiring.

Install took about 1 hr. I'll post pics shortly.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2006
1013 posts
26 upvotes
Interesting phone call today from Rogers.

At about 6:20 this evening I got a call from Rogers, that's what the display showed, from a guy called Peter.

He told me that I was now eligible for this pilot program (I'm a PowerStream customer in Barrie). I asked him how could that be because I thought they had enough people already? He said that wasn't the case.

He told me that he had to verify who I was because in order to be part of the program they had to do a soft credit check. He wanted me to provide over the phone my Drivers License and another piece of ID in order to do this soft credit check. I said no because even though the display said Rogers, I really didn't know who the he ll I was talking to. I asked if there was another way of verifying who I was and being part of this Pilot program. He said that because I have Internet service from a 3rd party they need to verify my identity. Instead he suggested that I go to a Rogers store and quote an account number he provided and present two pieces of ID in order for them to do the soft credit check and get me going on this pilot program. He knew where I lived and that I had didn't have Internet service with Rogers.

Also, I asked him about the program and he said that equipment was owned by Rogers and that it would have to be returned except the thermostat and the two power monitoring devices????????? I thought you go to keep all of the equipment??????

What do you guys think????? Does this sound legit?????

I'm starting to wonder if this is worth my time and energy?

Also can anyone who has it installed, can you tell us more info on the thermostat?

Cheers
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11040 posts
3412 upvotes
Toronto, ON
That is strange and you may want to call back into the REM project customer support number ( 1-844-481-2661) and speak to another agent to see if you are indeed eligible. Most likely if the agent at that number say you are, then the first got was telling the truth. People who signed up for the pilot may have second thoughts, or they may have been deemed ineligible to participate in the pilot program. It's conceivable that spots are freed up as people changed their minds or is ineligible to participate.

As for the credit check, are you a Rogers customer at all (have any of the Rogers home services (home phone, cable, internet)? If not, then it's probably standard practice for Rogers to do a soft credit check, because you are technically signing up for their Smart Home Monitoring service (even though every month the charge will get offset by a corresponding discount to bring it to zero balance.

The thermostat is the one posted above by the OP. The brand is Salus and it pairs with the Rogers home monitoring service so that you can control the thermostat using the touchpad or through the smart monitoring app. It doesn't have too many options to play around with. It just gives you control of the temperature and fan. All the set up is done using the Rogers home monitoring touchpad. Feedback is also through the touchpad.