Expired Freebies

POWERSTREAM Energy Management Pilot Project ($800 worth of equipment)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2018 4:06 pm
Jan 25, 2013
86 posts
43 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I received an invite for this pilot as well, but it looks like those products are worthless without a service to support them (e.g. you can't just remotely connect to your house and control the devices, you need the Rogers service to do that). Is this really the case? Cause if so, the $800 worth of equipment is essentially a pile of plastic and metal.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2006
1021 posts
27 upvotes
yronnen wrote:
Dec 4th, 2015 11:00 am
I received an invite for this pilot as well, but it looks like those products are worthless without a service to support them (e.g. you can't just remotely connect to your house and control the devices, you need the Rogers service to do that). Is this really the case? Cause if so, the $800 worth of equipment is essentially a pile of plastic and metal.
Exactly and that's what I need to decide. Just to add, the guy who called me said that I wouldn't be keeping the motion detectors and screen, but would instead get to keep the power plugs and thermostat.

I have a peak Saving thermostat in my house the powerstream hooked up not too long ago. I wonder if that is going to complicate things.

I also wonder what the purpose of the motion and door detectors are?? Isn't this a power saving initiative???
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
14596 posts
5310 upvotes
Oakville
yronnen wrote:
Dec 4th, 2015 11:00 am
All of the Rogers Smart Home Monitoring stuff uses Zigbee, if I'm not mistaken, so you should, in theory, be able to get a zigbee controller to control them all if you don't have smart home monitoring set up.
fogo wrote:
Dec 4th, 2015 11:19 am
Exactly and that's what I need to decide. Just to add, the guy who called me said that I wouldn't be keeping the motion detectors and screen, but would instead get to keep the power plugs and thermostat.

I have a peak Saving thermostat in my house the powerstream hooked up not too long ago. I wonder if that is going to complicate things.

I also wonder what the purpose of the motion and door detectors are?? Isn't this a power saving initiative???
It's a thinly veiled attempt to get you to sign up with Rogers Smart Home Monitoring, by giving it to you for free as a starter under the guise of "saving power" by setting up automation in your house.
Oct 11, 2006
131 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
the power plugs works with zigbee so something like a wink hub would let you control it
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2006
1021 posts
27 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Dec 4th, 2015 11:37 am
All of the Rogers Smart Home Monitoring stuff uses Zigbee, if I'm not mistaken, so you should, in theory, be able to get a zigbee controller to control them all if you don't have smart home monitoring set up.

It's a thinly veiled attempt to get you to sign up with Rogers Smart Home Monitoring, by giving it to you for free as a starter under the guise of "saving power" by setting up automation in your house.
Well put.
Jun 25, 2007
148 posts
26 upvotes
Scarborough
so did any power stream advantage customer set this up yet? i just got a call from rogers and scheduled to set this up, just not sure if the 2 will be combined
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
14596 posts
5310 upvotes
Oakville
fayya wrote:
Dec 4th, 2015 4:07 pm
so did any power stream advantage customer set this up yet? i just got a call from rogers and scheduled to set this up, just not sure if the 2 will be combined
Since you can get the thermostat from Rogers without involving your utility provider at all, I presume the Rogers installer will be doing everything and providing all the hardware.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11235 posts
3529 upvotes
Toronto, ON
wearysky wrote:
The motion and door detectors are not required for the energy monitoring program, but is required to be paired to the touchpad for the touchpad to work (that's how my Rogers tech explained it to me). So during the pilot program, the sensors will simply tell the touchpad if you open or close the doors, but it's not linked to the home security part of the monitoring package. You'll be able to control two smart plugs using the touchpad as well. The tech also said you'll also get notification on your phone (via the Rogers Smart Home Monitoring app) if the doors are opened or closed. So I guess that's as close to a home alarm as you'll get with this setup. There won't be any audible alarms, it won't contact a central dispatch if a door opens. You'll just get a notification if a door opens or closes.

My take on this whole Energy Management pilot project is that Powerstream does not have the infrastructure and system in place to allow for remote monitoring of their "peaksaver" energy saving initiatives but Rogers does (in the form of their Smart Home Monitoring product. So this partnership is a win-win for both; Powerstream will piggyback on Rogers' Smart Home Monitoring for the remote access/monitoring of the energy saving features on the thermostat, and Rogers gets a chance to "promote" their Smart Home Monitoring features in the hope that the pilot participants will choose to continue with Rogers for their home monitoring/home security needs once the pilot program concludes.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11235 posts
3529 upvotes
Toronto, ON
wearysky wrote:
Dec 4th, 2015 4:18 pm
Since you can get the thermostat from Rogers without involving your utility provider at all, I presume the Rogers installer will be doing everything and providing all the hardware.
The Rogers tech will provide all hardware, including the thermostat, and will install everything except for the thermostat. A second tech from Powerstream will come and install the thermostat. The two techs are scheduled for the same installation window so they should arrive within a couple hours of each other (the Rogers tech needs to arrive first because he brings the thermostat).
Jun 25, 2007
148 posts
26 upvotes
Scarborough
rvs007 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2015 4:28 pm
The Rogers tech will provide all hardware, including the thermostat, and will install everything except for the thermostat. A second tech from Powerstream will come and install the thermostat. The two techs are scheduled for the same installation window so they should arrive within a couple hours of each other (the Rogers tech needs to arrive first because he brings the thermostat).
so joining this rogers-powerstream program wouldn't affect the current power advantage pricing model, just switching of another set of equipment?
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
2977 posts
1020 upvotes
Tuktoyaktuk
wearysky wrote:
Exactly.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2008
1928 posts
367 upvotes
Aurora
vtec_chump wrote:
Nov 28th, 2015 10:02 pm
Install was done earlier this week.

1 Salus thermostat
1 Rogers tablet
2 motion sensors
2 door sensors
2 smart plugs

In addition to this, they've installed a Netgear wireless router behind my home router. All the sensors are wireless, no need to drill holes and run wiring.

Install took about 1 hr. I'll post pics shortly.
I'm thinking of doing this (they called me) and you're the only one I see who actually has it installed.

Is the thermostat 7 day programmable?

Do they drill holes to mount the motion/door sensors?

Do you know what would happen if you cancel out of the program after 10 months - will everything stop working and you have to put back your old thermostat?

Have you tried their apps?

Thanks!
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11235 posts
3529 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Gweedz wrote:
Dec 7th, 2015 9:26 am
I'm thinking of doing this (they called me) and you're the only one I see who actually has it installed.

Is the thermostat 7 day programmable?

Do they drill holes to mount the motion/door sensors?

Do you know what would happen if you cancel out of the program after 10 months - will everything stop working and you have to put back your old thermostat?

Have you tried their apps?

Thanks!
I got it installed last week so I can help answer some of your questions.

The thermostat can be programmed with the following profiles: 7-day, weekday+weekend, weekday+SAT+SUN, or totally custom. It must be set using the Rogers touchpad, or online from the Web Control Centre, or from the Rogers Smart Monitoring app.

They only need to drill holes to mount the motion sensors (actually, no drilling required but just screw the sensor into the wall). The door sensors are mounted using double sided tape.

If you opt out of the program after the pilot you're supposed to get to keep all the equipment which I'm assuming includes the sensors. But as someone mentioned without the Rogers Home Monitoring frontend I don't know what will still work and what won't. I'm assuming the Web control and app control won't work anymore. But would the touchpad still work? Because without the touchpad controls, you can't program the thermostat. You can change the basic functions of the thermostat but you can't program it without the touchpad.

Some of the neat things you can do with the system using the Rules function:

- Text and/or email you whenever the front or back doors are open or close.
- Turn on lights at sunset or at specific times (great when you're on vacation).

Some of the rules function are tied to the security part of the home monitoring so you won't be able to use it during the pilot project because the security part is not activated.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2008
1928 posts
367 upvotes
Aurora
Thanks for the info - it helps. I think I'll call them back today to install.

Regarding the touchpad and if it'll still work after you cancel, I wonder if one can test by disconnecting from the internet and seeing if it'll still connect to the t-stat. Unless when you cancel Rogers sends a signal to disable everything - kind of like a tv cable box. It is misleading then by saying you're getting $800 worth of stuff, but it's really worthless.

An interesting thing I read in the fine print is that if the equipment gets damaged during the trial it's the homeowner's responsibility to replace - up to $800 + tax. I wonder if this includes damage due to lightening strikes or something out of your control.
It's funny when later on they say if the equipment CAUSES damage they are responsible for only up to $250.

It's also weird where they say the trial lasts 10 months, but the agreement continues for 6 more months after the trial ends.

And I think by talking about it here you're breaking one of the stipulations of the agreement. You're not supposed to mention this to anyone LOL Rogers!
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2008
1928 posts
367 upvotes
Aurora
I booked the install appointment.
On the phone she said it's a 12 month program, not 10. Not sure how she can say that as everywhere it says 10.
She confirmed I keep everything after 12 months. I asked her if I cancel with anything still work and she said "absolutely not". LOL
There's got to be some value in the parts, even if you have to hack them.

Because of the easy cancellation policy I figure I have nothing to lose except some time while they install.