Expired Freebies

POWERSTREAM Energy Management Pilot Project ($800 worth of equipment)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2018 4:06 pm
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
14084 posts
4950 upvotes
Oakville
Gweedz wrote:
Dec 7th, 2015 12:50 pm
There's got to be some value in the parts, even if you have to hack them.

Because of the easy cancellation policy I figure I have nothing to lose except some time while they install.
You should be able to make the sensors and plugs and thermostat work with a Zigbee hub of some sort (Wink?), as they're all just off the shelf Zigbee devices. The main tablet/portal thing though, I'm not aware of any way to hack that.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11040 posts
3412 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Anyone still using their REM pilot program equipment? I got an email recently about the final survey and that the REM pilot program is coming to an end. I'm wondering if at this point if I switch out the thermostat with say a Ecobee3, would Powerstream/Rogers care? And, wearysky mentioned that the equipment that was given out with the pilot program works with Zigbee hubs. Is there anything available that works with the Zigbee devices but is compatible with Apple's HomeKit?
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11040 posts
3412 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Just got an email informing me that the REM pilot program is ending. Here's what the email says:
Hi REM User..

Last summer you registered for the “Residential Energy Management Pilot (REM)”, brought to you by Rogers & PowerStream (now Alectra Utilities). We hope you have been enjoying the system in your home, and participating in the pilot. Time flies – the pilot is coming to an end and you now have a choice to make about how you wish to transition off the pilot.

We will be turning off the REM accounts starting February 16th, 2018.

Don’t worry, all the system hardware is free for you to keep – including the thermostat. The thermostat will remain functional locally so you can continue to use it to manually set and control the temperature of your home.

We do hope that you found value in the smart monitoring and control features that the REM pilot system brought to you. Should you wish to continue enjoying the full suite of smart home features - adding in 24x7 professionally monitored home security and leveraging all your existing hardware - consider activating one of the $0 up-front cost Rogers Smart Home Monitoring (SHM) plans.

REM Pilot participants who activate on Rogers SHM before February 16th, 2018 will receive a FREE Smart Door Lock + FREE Door Lock Installation (a value of up to $309). To be eligible, customers must activate a 2-year Protect, Assure or Control SHM plan. Details of the plans are available at www.rogers.com/smarthome or call 1-855-824-1443 to take advantage of this special limited time offer.

If you do not wish to continue after February 16th, 2018… there is nothing you need to do!

Please note that following the end of the pilot on February 16th, 2018:

While you may still operate the system locally via the Touchpad, you will no longer be able to access / control the system remotely via the App on your mobile device, nor via the Web Portal.
Notifications will no longer be sent and scheduled or event based rules will cease to function.
While your existing heating / cooling schedules will continue to function as long as both the Thermostat and Touchpad remain powered, the ability to modify the programmed schedule will no longer be available. To pause the programmed schedule at any time, turn on the “Hold” function on the Thermostat.
If you decide to unplug the Touchpad we suggest you remove the battery from the back. Note however that the Thermostat and the other battery powered sensors’ batteries will drain more quickly if the Touchpad is uplugged. We recommend unpairing the Thermostat from the Touchpad if you wish to continue using the Thermostat without the Touchpad (click here for instructions).

Regardless of your choice, we want to sincerely thank you for your participation in the pilot. Should you be interested in other energy management initiatives, you may wish to visit AdvantagePowerPricing.com to learn about Alectra Utilities’ newest offer.

If you have any questions or need any help, please do not hesitate to contact us at 1-855-824-1443.