Computers & Electronics

Practical Guide to IPTV / Cut The Cord / What to buy / How to Start (Updated)

Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18598 posts
3704 upvotes
Thornhill
theres an iptv thread already on first page, search for it
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2005
1093 posts
247 upvotes
brimen wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 8:35 pm
A friend of mine just purchased an android box that has IPTV programming on it. There's a monthly cost of $20. Anyone have any experience with this service? Is it worth it?
What is the name of the service.
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
154 upvotes
brimen wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 8:35 pm
A friend of mine just purchased an android box that has IPTV programming on it. There's a monthly cost of $20. Anyone have any experience with this service? Is it worth it?
To be honest, it is totally worth every penny and dime! The only difference I feel is the quality may not be up to par with Rogers or Bell. If you are looking for a cheap alternative only watch TV here and there, then this would be a viable solution for you. And to note, I would not solely depend on a good server but a good reseller! In the end, if you have a problem with the box or service, wouldn't you want someone to help you? I have a good iptv server called StarTV but more then that I have a great dealer who is always there when I need him. Cheers and best of luck in your hunt! And btw, $20 is too much, normally its $15 / month (that's how much I pay)
Aug 18, 2010
427 posts
137 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Living in a house with 7 people but only 1 person watches Cable so we're looking to trim down our cost and move away from Rogers.

Searched around for some IPTV providers that have Fairchild TV/Chinese channels. Any recommendations?
I've tried iptvsubs and lite iptv on the free trial. They claim to have the Chinese channels but its not there. And their Kodi app doesn't work
Sep 17, 2002
768 posts
181 upvotes
There are so many providers - and each have a different niche - do you want international (ethnic), sports specific, Canadian, PPV, Adult

Each provider deals with the above differently however, stability is really important. Does it stutter or freeze often? Does the provider become saturated and what used to be a good provider all of a sudden become crappy.

Expect each provider to offer good or bad service anytime.

Be expect to change providers, usually month to month subscription is best because of this but it may cost more.

If TV is that important, have a backup provider...also fine alternative resources, ie OTA.

BTW, when the service is bad, there is really no one to complain too...supplier is only a reseller of the service.

So overall, it's worth it but it does have it's moments and for $10-$30 month it's a bargain but when it hanges/freezes.....
kabyLake wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 7:25 am
To be honest, it is totally worth every penny and dime! The only difference I feel is the quality may not be up to par with Rogers or Bell. If you are looking for a cheap alternative only watch TV here and there, then this would be a viable solution for you. And to note, I would not solely depend on a good server but a good reseller! In the end, if you have a problem with the box or service, wouldn't you want someone to help you? I have a good iptv server called StarTV but more then that I have a great dealer who is always there when I need him. Cheers and best of luck in your hunt! And btw, $20 is too much, normally its $15 / month (that's how much I pay)
Apr 29, 2014
613 posts
118 upvotes
Pickering, ON
What service are you guys using?

IPTV Express freezes a lot but the quality is great using their v2.0 app.. I find there guide is always off or no information.

Voodoo has tons of channels but offer slightly lower quality and alot of channels don't work. Guide is perfect using stb emu

Ace IPTV is nice but I don't like the channel grouping and the guide is great.

Gold IPTV guide never work for most channels and I notice lower picture quality on mag254.

What are your opinion on these service and what are you using?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
8523 posts
799 upvotes
heatx- wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 1:27 pm
Living in a house with 7 people but only 1 person watches Cable so we're looking to trim down our cost and move away from Rogers.

Searched around for some IPTV providers that have Fairchild TV/Chinese channels. Any recommendations?
I've tried iptvsubs and lite iptv on the free trial. They claim to have the Chinese channels but its not there. And their Kodi app doesn't work
ha? been using iptsubs for 1.5years because of their fairchild tv channels...no issue at all..couple of my friends r using too..mag and kodi..no issue..

the only issue we notice is everything there's UFC then their server will get 'attacked'
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Sep 17, 2002
768 posts
181 upvotes
using Voodoo strictly because they have the most Portuguese/Brazilian (PT) channels

For us, quality is fine since we're using it on a 50" TV, wonder how it will look on my new 65" though later this year

they did had issues over the past weekend and PT channels were wacky from Mon to Tues but are now fine

Check out reddit for user reviews....
Feb 19, 2010
794 posts
173 upvotes
YYC
I have tried crown, voodo, ipguys etc. and they all have pretty bad resolution.. I recently tried limitless iptv and they have the most 720p/1080p channels.. gonna stick with them
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
10423 posts
3112 upvotes
Toronto, ON
iwells wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 10:00 am
using Voodoo strictly because they have the most Portuguese/Brazilian (PT) channels

For us, quality is fine since we're using it on a 50" TV, wonder how it will look on my new 65" though later this year

they did had issues over the past weekend and PT channels were wacky from Mon to Tues but are now fine

Check out reddit for user reviews....
Is there a channel lineup available online of the Portuguese/Brazilian channels available from Voodoo?
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
154 upvotes
I have StarTV but I tried IPGUYSTV and it is good quality too.
Oct 17, 2003
268 posts
11 upvotes
Etobicoke
Hi.. I have Nvidia shield and I am having a hard time getting the iptv Express app.. it just spins.. does anyone have any recommendations on how to fix.

Also which iptv have separate apk files.. my wife does not like stb emulator.

Thanks
Feb 17, 2017
238 posts
36 upvotes
ktokes12 wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 11:41 pm
What is the name of the service.
I got the Same thing from my reseller
Ask me and if I don't already know I'll find someone who does - " it's who you know that matters sometimes but what you know is invaluable "
Feb 17, 2017
238 posts
36 upvotes
kabyLake wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2017 11:18 am
I have StarTV but I tried IPGUYSTV and it is good quality too.
Try crown or voodoo . Much better
Ask me and if I don't already know I'll find someone who does - " it's who you know that matters sometimes but what you know is invaluable "
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
154 upvotes
Leonidas wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2017 11:29 am
Try crown or voodoo . Much better
Hey thanks for the suggestion, but my dealer only deals with StarTV or IPGUYSTV and I don't want to change my dealer for a server.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)