Computers & Electronics

Practical Guide to IPTV / Cut The Cord / What to buy / How to Start (Updated)

Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
1894 posts
233 upvotes
Waterlooo
I have tronicscity for the last year. Quality of the channels tends to be very good and they have lots of sports and canadian channels and lots of VOD to pick from. The HD quality is hit or miss, I'm guessing I am on a IPGuys feed.
support from this vendor is also hit or miss, sometimes I get ignored other times they respond within minutes. I've tried other vendors, but keep coming back even though they are not the cheapest.
I have a MAG254 box
Jun 4, 2008
235 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, ON
grabbed a couple mag256 boxes off amazon this weekend and have setup iptv express. so far im pretty impressed with it.

does the harmony remotes control the mag256 box correctly? i setup my activity as infomir & mag256 but the buttons are not controlling what they should. is there another manufacturier name i should be using?
Apr 29, 2014
613 posts
118 upvotes
Pickering, ON
GenX wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2017 10:41 pm
Hi.. I have Nvidia shield and I am having a hard time getting the iptv Express app.. it just spins.. does anyone have any recommendations on how to fix.

Also which iptv have separate apk files.. my wife does not like stb emulator.

Thanks
Are you using version 2? They recently released a new APK.
I just dropped IPTV Express for ACE
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
154 upvotes
daaave wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 8:38 pm
grabbed a couple mag256 boxes off amazon this weekend and have setup iptv express. so far im pretty impressed with it.

does the harmony remotes control the mag256 box correctly? i setup my activity as infomir & mag256 but the buttons are not controlling what they should. is there another manufacturier name i should be using?
Hey just recently connected a Harmony 650 to a mag box.. for the Manufacturer you should choose "mag" and model can be "mag256".. The remote works well with MAG boxes and only thing is getting used to the controls (compared to the main remote)
Oct 17, 2003
268 posts
11 upvotes
Etobicoke
SleepyEyez wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 8:39 am
Are you using version 2? They recently released a new APK.
I just dropped IPTV Express for ACE
I tried from a couple of sites, one file was corrupt and the other installed but kept saying loading.

I am still looking for iptv apk's that work on the shield (just easier for my wife to use), if anyone has any recommendation please let me know.

Thank you
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
154 upvotes
GenX wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 10:56 am
I tried from a couple of sites, one file was corrupt and the other installed but kept saying loading.

I am still looking for iptv apk's that work on the shield (just easier for my wife to use), if anyone has any recommendation please let me know.

Thank you
My dealer has a new sub called 'Eagle TV' and it has its own APK. What he tells me is that you would need a subscription to use the APK, and the interface looks just like a MAG box interface.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2816 posts
265 upvotes
if all you want is english channels and sports, Fab is a great source. A 48 hour trial should easily allow you to assess it.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2005
1095 posts
247 upvotes
GenX wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 10:56 am

Thank you
Perfect Player or Smart IPTV
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2008
1408 posts
264 upvotes
Can someone explain the difference between an (generic ? eg Mi box) android box and MAG254/MAG256?

Are the MAG254/MAG256 dedicated IPTV boxes? or can you do other things with them? Say for instance access local content on your NAS?
Jul 5, 2015
16 posts
1 upvote
Crystal Beach, ON
MAG 254/256 are dedicated IPTV boxes and yes you can access content on your NAS and play files through usb port on the box.
Jun 4, 2008
235 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, ON
My iptv Express was just a black screen today. The guide worked but no channels came in. Does this happen to any one else?
Jul 5, 2015
16 posts
1 upvote
Crystal Beach, ON
daaave wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 10:29 pm
My iptv Express was just a black screen today. The guide worked but no channels came in. Does this happen to any one else?
Tried it last night, everything was fine
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
154 upvotes
Guys normally if the service is black screen or no channels coming up, this means either the server is down or upgrade/maintenance is going on. Just wait it out, or call your provider, and it will come back.
Sep 7, 2006
57 posts
6 upvotes
Surrey
I been using Epicstreams, very similar to Vader. Got a reseller who is local so the service has been great. Have experienced zero downtime, and Epic comes with a full Guide as well. Very Impressed.
Apr 18, 2006
283 posts
22 upvotes
Ordered a Dreamlink T1+ that comes in next week. Now researching for a provider. Vader seems interesting because you can hookup more than one device per household.

But any tips? I want a good EPG. I want an EPG that doesn't show the wrong programs. I only care for Canadian and US programming. Sports. HD streams. No down time. And having access to VOD stuff would be cool. Recommendations on a service?