Computers & Electronics

Practical Guide to IPTV / Cut The Cord / What to buy / How to Start (Updated)

Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2009
1284 posts
290 upvotes
GTA
Hello,

Looking for some help.

i am trying to buy a new box that runs H.265 for ipTV and was wondering if the below is OK.

Android Box
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5055 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto
singhrh wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 9:48 pm
Can someone explain the difference between an (generic ? eg Mi box) android box and MAG254/MAG256?

Are the MAG254/MAG256 dedicated IPTV boxes? or can you do other things with them? Say for instance access local content on your NAS?
- Generic Chinese Android Box = NO IPTV app. You can manually load IPTV Emulator app. Some member say it is fine, I find it laggy (and buggy at times. Really hard to troubleshoot, if its your box or app)

- Brand Name Android Box (e.g. MiBox, DreamLink T1, etc) = They each have their own special app (which can't be ported to any other box / system). They work fairly well.

- Mag 254 / 256 : These are Linux boxes. There is very little configuration to get them up and running. There are very few apps on it (Vimeo, YouTube, pretty much it). They just work. I find these least laggy. These are ONLY real solution for wives / older parents etc. You can run most media on it - either through USB ports , or through network (Network option requires little bit of techy knowledge).

Hope this helps
For Sale:
    Canon C100 + Canon 70-200 f2.8 + ...
Looking for: Sony Camera for video (for a good price)
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2008
1408 posts
264 upvotes
Thanks PrinceMS. That was what I was looking for. I guess for my needs I pickup a MiBox (or similar). I want to be able to run IPTV, Kodi and Netflix (hopefully). Youtube would be just a bonus.

Anyone know if the Mibox is capable of doing this?

thanks
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
14351 posts
3169 upvotes
singhrh wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 11:44 pm
Thanks PrinceMS. That was what I was looking for. I guess for my needs I pickup a MiBox (or similar). I want to be able to run IPTV, Kodi and Netflix (hopefully). Youtube would be just a bonus.

Anyone know if the Mibox is capable of doing this?

thanks
I have everything other than Netflix and it runs very well. Even tried external video through a flash drive plugged into the Mi and it plays all my files including DVD ISO files. I can finally chuck my aging WDTV. Just did a Speedtest and got 70 Mbps over wireless, so that's more than fast enough for pretty well anything I might want online. Now, if only they would upgrade the OS like they promised months ago...
Sep 23, 2010
24 posts
15 upvotes
Nepean
PrinceMS; Excellent Summary.

Do you or your readers have any suggestions on Hardware decoder set top box that can

operate like DreamLink T1 but also contain a local ATSC tuner for LOCAL TV OTA

so that Local news can also be received? I see "LINKBOX 9000i" combo box, but its pricy;

are there others that are sub $200? I will visit FTAtronix in Ottawa on Carling Ave and report back.

I am certain there must be equipment that mashes the Digital Over The Air concept

(6 channels here in Ottawa from an attic mounted TERK Antenna)

with the STB Emu/KodiPlugin/H.2xx stream reception.

I think this thread has answered the local IPTV provider questions

at about $15-20 monthly subscription rate.

Your tutorial references remain valid over these past 10 months since your post.

I have expert experience but appreciate hardware selection advice/comments from the forum.

Thanks again

RadMan
Jul 14, 2013
234 posts
10 upvotes
hows the video quality watching iptv? most tvs are 4k now but iptv subscription is what, 720p? wouldn't that make things very blurry?

and what internet speed is required? because if i move up to 500u or gigbit then the total cost goes up too.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5055 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto
radcomtech wrote:
Nov 18th, 2017 6:17 pm
PrinceMS; Excellent Summary.
Thank you appreciate it. I tried updating it last week couple of times. EAch time I wrote it , one reason or another RFD's connection got lost and I lost all the updates :(

About a year ago there was some demand / need for OTA channels. Now at least 3 of them offer Local Canadian channels (and more) so there is very little need. Hence, less and less hardware is offering it.
For Sale:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5055 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto
n0thing wrote:
Nov 19th, 2017 5:35 pm
hows the video quality watching iptv? most tvs are 4k now but iptv subscription is what, 720p? wouldn't that make things very blurry?

and what internet speed is required? because if i move up to 500u or gigbit then the total cost goes up too.
Depending on which channel through which service you are talking about. It can range from 360p to 1080p. I don't know any service that offers 4k (and most boxes will not be able to handle 4k stream anyway).
Most English content is usually 720p these days. The on-demand movies are 1080p. It requires very little speeds. I know people who have really good 10mpbs connection and it works. MInimum required is 25mpbs - anything faster is bonus. I will suggest 50mpbs connection if you have mutliple members in the house having multiple devices.
For Sale:
Deal Addict
May 24, 2003
3450 posts
400 upvotes
Oakville
Hey guys I'm new to IPTV, I purchased the DreamLink t1 plus from amazon (one for me one for the gf) her parents want a lot of indian channels so I got voodoo, been trying it out before I give it to her and i find that a lot of channels (one that i can remember right now GlobalTV Toronto) is wrong it's actually GlobalTV Calgary, CHCH doesn't work, etc.. a lot of the times the EPG doesn't have information and says no information - is this standard of IPTV in general?

Or any alternative reccomendations ? For me I like to have local channels - GlobalTV toronto, CTV, CHCH, etc.. with a handful of others that my family enjoy (I'll have to get a list, but like Discovery Science, Kids channels, BET, HGTV, TSN, those food channels, etc...)
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
154 upvotes
x-batman wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 11:33 am
Hey guys I'm new to IPTV, I purchased the DreamLink t1 plus from amazon (one for me one for the gf) her parents want a lot of indian channels so I got voodoo, been trying it out before I give it to her and i find that a lot of channels (one that i can remember right now GlobalTV Toronto) is wrong it's actually GlobalTV Calgary, CHCH doesn't work, etc.. a lot of the times the EPG doesn't have information and says no information - is this standard of IPTV in general?

Or any alternative reccomendations ? For me I like to have local channels - GlobalTV toronto, CTV, CHCH, etc.. with a handful of others that my family enjoy (I'll have to get a list, but like Discovery Science, Kids channels, BET, HGTV, TSN, those food channels, etc...)
The best I'd suggest is IPTVGUYS for you instead because it has the best local and international channels (last time I checked worked flawlessly). Try that out and if you need any dealer let me know.
Feb 19, 2010
794 posts
173 upvotes
YYC
kabyLake wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 1:18 pm
The best I'd suggest is IPTVGUYS for you instead because it has the best local and international channels (last time I checked worked flawlessly). Try that out and if you need any dealer let me know.
only thing bad about iptvguys is the video quality.. mostly are like in 480i lol
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
154 upvotes
Importz wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 1:29 pm
only thing bad about iptvguys is the video quality.. mostly are like in 480i lol
I agree but some looks HD as well, but hey if everything is working for $15 / month why not right? Unless you're looking for TRUE HD which is there, just that some server's I've noticed are lagging because of the HD.
Apr 22, 2014
813 posts
182 upvotes
, ON
IPTV needs good Internet connection. My building has fibestream service. What's your experience with fibestream internet service?
I just need to watch live tv for news, AMC (the walking dead), and tree house. Any recommendations?
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2004
1925 posts
36 upvotes
Ktichener, ON
Who have Best Picture quality without Freezing ???
Sep 28, 2010
492 posts
102 upvotes
Surrey
Mir wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 5:43 pm
Who have Best Picture quality without Freezing ???
I'd also like to know, whats the best quality provider out there?

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

mamona