Computers & Electronics

Practical Guide to IPTV / Cut The Cord / What to buy / How to Start (Updated)

Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5067 posts
954 upvotes
Whitby
radcomtech wrote:
Nov 18th, 2017 6:17 pm
PrinceMS; Excellent Summary.

Do you or your readers have any suggestions on Hardware decoder set top box that can

operate like DreamLink T1 but also contain a local ATSC tuner for LOCAL TV OTA

so that Local news can also be received? I see "LINKBOX 9000i" combo box, but its pricy;

are there others that are sub $200? I will visit FTAtronix in Ottawa on Carling Ave and report back.

I am certain there must be equipment that mashes the Digital Over The Air concept

(6 channels here in Ottawa from an attic mounted TERK Antenna)

with the STB Emu/KodiPlugin/H.2xx stream reception.
There are usb tuners (about $60) that can be added so the OTA comes in through your Dreamlink or other box. I was going to install one so OTA channels cam in through my Shield TV....then thought why bother, hook the cable from OTA directly to the tv and just switch inputs when I want local channels.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5054 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto
Updated with links
For Sale:
    Canon C100 + Canon 70-200 f2.8 + ...
Looking for: Sony Camera for video (for a good price)
Feb 17, 2017
238 posts
36 upvotes
purplekush604 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2017 11:29 pm
I'd also like to know, whats the best quality provider out there?
Best I've seen are voodoo and crown .
I have both setup and I love the stability and options
Ask me and if I don't already know I'll find someone who does - " it's who you know that matters sometimes but what you know is invaluable "
Feb 17, 2017
238 posts
36 upvotes
Mir wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 5:43 pm
Who have Best Picture quality without Freezing ???
Freezing will happen on all servers. It's the mess freezing options you want. I've noticed the best of the best will have down times where they freeze but they bounce back up
Ask me and if I don't already know I'll find someone who does - " it's who you know that matters sometimes but what you know is invaluable "
Jul 14, 2013
234 posts
10 upvotes
Apparently with smart IPTV, you just have to pay one time app fee, then you can simply load up a m3u playlist with a bunch of channels? So no monthly subscription at all? Do I just Google for m3u URLs every so often as they get updated?

Not sure if I'm reading it wrong, but gonna try it with vlc.
Dec 2, 2017
1 posts
Hello Kamal
I have got a samsung smart tv with the smart iptv app downloaded on it and looking for help for setting it.
Thanks in advance.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2631 posts
474 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Sister recently got iptv box. We're using OTA with netflix but she needs some channels for shows not on OTA or netflix.

So far she has tried gem, crown, express, gold.

Express has the most channels but also more channels that don't work. From the channels I would watch [sports, business, networks] I would rank 1. Express 2. Gold 3a. Gem 3b. Crown for quality and variety of channels. Have only checked a few times so can not say how stable they would be for long term. The VOD feature definitely better quality then live tv.

She decided not to get a mag box but got something called dreamlink t1 plus. It can use ethernet or as she is using [usb wifi]. I researched that box and supposed to have wifi built in and no need for usb wifi so makes me wonder if she truly has dreamlink t1 plus?? It seems to be android box as can install google apps, etc.
Dec 2, 2017
1 posts
Hllo Kamal,
Can u post something referring to setup the app "smart IPTV" ?
Thanks In advance
Aug 19, 2014
833 posts
366 upvotes
I have heard that picture quality is much better (~60fps on some ch) on high end Android boxes like the buzz compare to mag254 (choppy). Is this true?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5054 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto
SwaranS802335 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 4:50 pm
Hello Kamal
I have got a samsung smart tv with the smart iptv app downloaded on it and looking for help for setting it.
Thanks in advance.
lol Who is Kamal? Did you subscribed to any IPTV service?
georvu wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 6:19 pm
Sister recently got iptv box. We're using OTA with netflix but she needs some channels for shows not on OTA or netflix.

She decided not to get a mag box but got something called dreamlink t1 plus. It can use ethernet or as she is using [usb wifi]. I researched that box and supposed to have wifi built in and no need for usb wifi so makes me wonder if she truly has dreamlink t1 plus?? It seems to be android box as can install google apps, etc.
umm can u return the dreamlink T1? t2 is on pre-order. It is running Android 7.0.
T1 plus will be obsolete soon because it is old Android and most APK will stop working on it. Yes T1 plus have wifi built in (external will have better catch though). Ethernet cable is best - always.
chhotadon wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 3:32 am
I have heard that picture quality is much better (~60fps on some ch) on high end Android boxes like the buzz compare to mag254 (choppy). Is this true?
The IPTV playground is changing fast (all of sudden). I see H265 being offered , which offers much higher quality (possibly higher fps) but I don't think adding higher fps will mean much. All shows are still broadcast on 24/30 fps. Even if box can show 60fps , signal from back is 30fps - then thats all you will get.
Choppy is generally bad internet connection or overloaded server. RArely its the box (if its one of the recent boxes).
For Sale:
    Canon C100 + Canon 70-200 f2.8 + ...
Looking for: Sony Camera for video (for a good price)
Aug 19, 2014
833 posts
366 upvotes
PrinceMS wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 5:32 pm
The IPTV playground is changing fast (all of sudden). I see H265 being offered , which offers much higher quality (possibly higher fps) but I don't think adding higher fps will mean much. All shows are still broadcast on 24/30 fps. Even if box can show 60fps , signal from back is 30fps - then thats all you will get.
Choppy is generally bad internet connection or overloaded server. RArely its the box (if its one of the recent boxes).
I have done a test for ok2 server on mag254. Quality, fps, and the delay was horrible. But other people using buzz/other android box with the same server claimed that picture quality for them is close to OTA and only about 10-15sec delay. I am sure there is nothing wrong with my internet speed.
May be someone with mag254 and a android box can give it a test to see the difference.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2631 posts
474 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
chhotadon wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 6:31 pm
I have done a test for ok2 server on mag254. Quality, fps, and the delay was horrible. But other people using buzz/other android box with the same server claimed that picture quality for them is close to OTA and only about 10-15sec delay. I am sure there is nothing wrong with my internet speed.
May be someone with mag254 and a android box can give it a test to see the difference.
Before sister got dreamlink she also tested out mag... iptv live and vod channels she did not notice any difference but probably not as discerning as us RFD folks :) This was using same iptv service. She chose dreamlink as was same price but mag seemed to have more responsive remote.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1879 posts
6004 upvotes
Laval
PrinceMS wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 5:32 pm
lol Who is Kamal? Did you subscribed to any IPTV service?

umm can u return the dreamlink T1? t2 is on pre-order. It is running Android 7.0.
T1 plus will be obsolete soon because it is old Android and most APK will stop working on it. Yes T1 plus have wifi built in (external will have better catch though). Ethernet cable is best - always.

Someone is lost here hehe
Rogers Unlimited Province, 7gb $39/month! Thanks RFD!!
Deal Addict
May 5, 2007
3210 posts
375 upvotes
Torana
I've been testing out different IPTV providers like Express, Vaders, Fast, etc. on my mibox either using an APK or STBemu. Question is if I buy a dedicated box like the Buzz or Mag will the look be any different with regards to the EPG? Also, do I need to attach an external hardrive to any of the boxes for recording shows or do the boxes record internally. Or do any providers save to the cloud?