Computers & Electronics

Practical Guide to IPTV / Cut The Cord / What to buy / How to Start (Updated)

Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2118 posts
219 upvotes
Mississauga
kabyLake wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 8:00 am
I was curious about this question as well, so I asked my iptv dealer and he said..if they set up with username/password, and you entered this into the screen. Then your MAC is automatically on the dealers panel.

My dealer was also worried that since I asked this question he thought I was about to go to another iptv dealer..lol But he's a great guy never leaving him because to be honest, it is not about the iptv itself but the person you are getting it from. If they are reliable and trustworthy, and will be there when you run into an issue or problem with server/box. This guy always answer's his phone if I have any problem and comes to my house if he can't fix it remotely.

But anyways.. Best of luck in choosing a good dealer (and iptv)
Care to let me know your dealer contact and what you are paying?
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2118 posts
219 upvotes
Mississauga
For those running IPGuys, could you please check for me if any of the Polish channels are working / connecting?
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
14355 posts
3169 upvotes
PrinceMS wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 1:29 pm

YOU ALL NEED TO GO WITH MAG254 box for IPTV. All other box / KODI etc really diminish the whole experience because they are all emulating and have a "lag"
I find a lot of people are using the least speed plans they can get away with (typically 25 Mbps or less) and that is a major factor. I'm running a Nexus Player with IPGuys as a test and I've found no lag on most channels. One or two of the sports channels were laggy but that's it. Movie channels, VOD, Canadian TV channels, etc. have no lag. But I'm running 150 Mbps and the box is plugged in through ethernet and average around 90 Mbps for speed, so maybe that has something to do with it. Also, the outfit I'm getting my service through has many tweaking tips for using the boxes. I'd suggest reading them. They are very helpful...
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
154 upvotes
Has anyone tried Cat7 cables with their modem/router to iptv box? I hear it does 10Gb/s or so in speed, and one of my friend who has same box and server as mine is using it, and he is getting maximum throughput from his internet (50Mb on Bell). Is it worth upgrading?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5057 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto
DougO wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 12:06 pm
I find a lot of people are using the least speed plans they can get away with (typically 25 Mbps or less) and that is a major factor. I'm running a Nexus Player with IPGuys as a test and I've found no lag on most channels. One or two of the sports channels were laggy but that's it. Movie channels, VOD, Canadian TV channels, etc. have no lag. But I'm running 150 Mbps and the box is plugged in through ethernet and average around 90 Mbps for speed, so maybe that has something to do with it. Also, the outfit I'm getting my service through has many tweaking tips for using the boxes. I'd suggest reading them. They are very helpful...
I am not talking about LAG with stream - lag is when you press the button on remote and box responds , It is really annoying (for what I experienced) when box been running for a while and if you change mutliple channels back to back. Fast internet certainly helps for bringing certain channels up, but even on 25mpbs I haven't noticed much difference of slow channel coming up
For Sale:
    Canon C100 + Canon 70-200 f2.8 + ...
Looking for: Sony Camera for video (for a good price)
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
14355 posts
3169 upvotes
PrinceMS wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 1:10 pm
I am not talking about LAG with stream - lag is when you press the button on remote and box responds , It is really annoying (for what I experienced) when box been running for a while and if you change mutliple channels back to back. Fast internet certainly helps for bringing certain channels up, but even on 25mpbs I haven't noticed much difference of slow channel coming up
This doesn't annoy me at all. I just did a test of Crown channels and most change within seconds unless they are international channels on the other side of the planet. Most of the ones that were U.S., Canadian and UK changed immediately. Sure, it isn't as fast as my satellite TV box used to change them but I'm not paying $120/month for that "service" anymore either. What Android box are you using? They are not created equal. For me, this is good enough if i just want to watch TV.
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
14355 posts
3169 upvotes
helphelp911 wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 2:08 am
Any IPTV has TVB. Chinese channel?

Can i run those on plex?
Crown has 30 Chinese channels but not TVB. Just checked.
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
154 upvotes
OK guys I have to say, I just recently bought a Cat7 cable off of Amazon and connected whatever I have running on LAN to it (iptv, xbone, BD Player, etc). What a difference! Everything worked quick, and changing channels on the iptv was a swift! I even tested my internet speed, and I am getting my actual throughput. As for Chinese channels, I asked my dealer and checked my server as well, and no TVB channel. Unless they go by another name?! It looks like iptv is generally targeted for Indian/middle-east/UK/North&South American channels. Anything else is hit or miss, or they may not have it.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2010
1065 posts
379 upvotes
GTA
Thanks for this post, bumping on purpose!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5057 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto
DougO wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 10:29 pm
This doesn't annoy me at all. I just did a test of Crown channels and most change within seconds unless they are international channels on the other side of the planet. Most of the ones that were U.S., Canadian and UK changed immediately. Sure, it isn't as fast as my satellite TV box used to change them but I'm not paying $120/month for that "service" anymore either. What Android box are you using? They are not created equal. For me, this is good enough if i just want to watch TV.
I was running S805x box, I tried s905 box (1gb ram). I tried one of latest box with Lollipop5.0 that is android but designed for IPTV. Have not tried Shield or specifically looking at 2gb ram on Android.
Ya if that doesn't bother you, then you are good to go
For Sale:
    Canon C100 + Canon 70-200 f2.8 + ...
Looking for: Sony Camera for video (for a good price)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5069 posts
954 upvotes
Whitby
PrinceMS wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 7:41 am
I was running S805x box, I tried s905 box (1gb ram). I tried one of latest box with Lollipop5.0 that is android but designed for IPTV. Have not tried Shield or specifically looking at 2gb ram on Android.
Ya if that doesn't bother you, then you are good to go
No need for emu on a Shield with most IPTV providers.
Nov 6, 2011
36 posts
Couple questions as a newbie. I have a XPL2000 box using a Crown server.

I miss a tv guide. Is that what epg is? Can i find a way to get it for my live tv on this box?

And how do i pay for the monthly Crown subscription? I'd prefer no downtime at the end of the month while they process the payment..

Cheers, Rick
Mar 11, 2004
97 posts
1 upvote
London
A friend of mine just purchased an android box that has IPTV programming on it. There's a monthly cost of $20. Anyone have any experience with this service? Is it worth it?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
8222 posts
1028 upvotes
Toronto
It can be iffy, there are a lot of providers for IPTV. Search around on this forum and on the internet, reddit, etc for peoples reviews and what you need.

I'm using it for my parents with a IPTV set-top box and it does the job well enough most of the time. The savings alone compared to rogers is worth it. Note they don't watch sports.
Last edited by chinesedevil on Sep 19th, 2017 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.