• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2015 12:28 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 28, 2011
2 posts
1 upvote
Barrie
I would like to warn new home buyers out there, to reconsider if you are evr thinking of buying a home with this builder, I purchased a home with Pratt, and since I have moved I have had nothing but problems, my biggest issue is that, we have had water pouring in from our living room ceiling, down through our walls and floor, and flooding our basement, also flooded our garage, ruined personal belongings, that were not unpacked yet, and have been told that these will not be replaced. We have been in contact with the Service Dept to fix this issue, which supposedly is due to faulty flashings in our roof, we have had this issue since the 20th of October, we moved in on the 15th of October, today was the final straw, we have had our roof supposedly fixed 5 times, today being the 5th, and were told today, on the 5th attempt, that it was repaired, to come in from work, and have the water pouring from bothe ends of the ceiling in our living room once again, ok when you call Kim at the service Dept, she makes a point of coming by and calling Dominion, to come by and fix the roof, but honestly how incompetant are the Contractors, if even on the 5th attempt, they still cant resovle this issue, we have sent photos, to a family member who has his own successful roofing company, who laughed out loud when we showed him photos of our repair of the roof, lets just say that Dominion roofers like to use Caulking, we are now coming into Snow, water is still pouring in from all areas of the house, the house is frozen due to the half of our living room ceiling lying open, and the wall cut open, mortar everywhere, and no end to this issue, If I don't get this resolved in the next couple of days, I will be seeking Legal advice, this is unnaceptable, and as for Customer Service, there is none, this company is a disgrace!! DO NOT BUY A PRATT HOME I have also been told that the mother wants nothing to do with this company, and if she could change her name to something other than Pratt, speaks volumes!!
Dec 16, 2011
1 posts
1 upvote
INNISFIL
I found this forum online and I joined so that I could discuss the horror story and financial distress this home builder has caused me in the last 2 years. The building manager in Innisfil, named Kim, has been hostile and unreasonable regarding fixing major problems with plumbing, structural foundation cracks, drywall, framing, and electrical problems. I have been fighting this uphill battle with them for almost 2 years. Even during the warranty period, Pratt homes delayed fixing the issues. I am still under warranty at this moment under Tarion, but Pratt Homes has not made a move to fix my issues. THEY EVEN BLAMED ME FOR THE PROBLEMS, STATING THAT THE PROBLEMS WERE MY FAULT AND RESPONSIBILITY. I don't understand how that is. I called in a Mike Holmes Home Inspector to build credibility for my complaint. The inspector found numerous problems and I have a long report to prove it. STAY AWAY! I wish I would have found this forum sooner....
Jun 27, 2005
384 posts
19 upvotes
Barrie
Same quality as Pratt......imo
leafs wrote:
Sep 24th, 2007 12:59 pm
Hey realestateguy,

What has your experience been with Baywood homes in Barrie?

Thanks
Jan 10, 2012
2 posts
2 upvotes
INNISFIL
My name is Brad Pratt and this is my first post on this site. I appreciate your comments and am very sorry if we have inconvenienced anyone as this was not our goal. We take service very seriously at Pratt Homes.
I am the owner of Pratt Homes only in Innisfil. Please feel free to contact myself personally with any concerns regard homes in Innisfil at 705-431-8859 *103.
In response to DeborahL, I have seen the concrete materials on the Bassingthwaite Court lots across from you and will remove as soon as the snow is gone. I apologize as this material should never have been put there.
In Response to Lee1231 and Casanova83 please contact myself directly with your concerns and I will be happy to assist you if they have not already been resolved.
Dec 12, 2011
2 posts
1 upvote
INNISFIL
I have also had problems with pratt homes, customer service and the owner are unprofessional and arrogant. Got a warranty problem with your home, better fix it yourself, pratt just wants your money and that's the end of it.
I suspect nepotism and owner incompetence are the root of this builders woes.
Jan 10, 2012
2 posts
2 upvotes
INNISFIL
Dear Pinegrown,
I am the owner of Pratt Homes Innisfil. I am sorry you feel that way. Tarion is an avenue you can take if you do not agree with our service department. Please call me to discuss if you would like. 705-431-8859 *103

Brad
Apr 14, 2012
1 posts
Last year we made a deal and are waiting for the closing date in a few months at the Innisfil site.

It seems to me that some things which were discussed and even documented did not make it to the 'agreement' or 'change orders' and now when addressing the issue with Pratt, we are finding an attitude of it's not in the paperwork we won't be doing it. The trick is it was in the paperwork but someone at Pratt did not transfer the planning to the final amendment and now it seems they either do not recognize they made an error or they don't want to acknowledge they screwed up.

Definitely a case of let the buyer beware and I think this applies to all building projects. I was just surprised at how the initial attitude of 'can do' and 'customer service' has suddenly changed to 'can't', 'won't' and 'customer doesn't count'.
Jan 2, 2010
13 posts
2 upvotes
Windows that constantly sweat in the winter to the point where they all need to be thermo sealed every fall before it gets cold outside otherwise
I had to put a towel on the sills to absorbe the water from dripping onto the floor.Cheap windows combined with poor insulation around the casings.
Pratt blames Pollard(another company to stay away from) and Pollard blames Pratt.6 year old house needs all the windows replaced!!!
If there ever was a nice day in the winter we couldnt open the windows to air the house out because of the plastice flim we had to have on the windows during the winter months.Pratt,get new window contractors as Pollard windows suck!!!!

Drywall work is the poorest I've ever seen,honestly Pratt fire your drywall,tapers and mudders.Cracks,nail pops,tape showing where drywall sheets where joined etc etc.

Primmer overspray on the hardwood floors I paid extra for($12,000 upgrade),to anyone that knows that stuff dosnt come off.Gaps around the oak staircase that they attemted to fix multiple times with no success.$3000 dollar staircase upgrade looks like crap!

Dont forget the signiture Pratt curb appeal,a pile of gravel with patio stones on top as stairs into your house.Looks like f*cking crap and everyone who came to my house made some remark about it.Cost me $8000 to do a proper front entrance so put aside some money for that too.
Again this is something other builders wouldnt leave you with,I should have never closed my house till they fixed it properly.Live and learn.

We have since moved out of here,to a Grandveiw home and the differnce is night and day.It's like driving a Lada and then going to a BMW.
Another thing to consider,Pratt does alot of rent to own deals,that brings in alot of people that cant afford a house thus cant maintain the house.
Alot of them get kicked out or just leave,leaving a vaccant and crappy looking house.They also sell to alot of people that buy to rent out the homses,
again this brings alot of low income trash into the subdivision.Take a drive through the Country Club Estates(yea estates my a*s) or the Heritage Estates
subdivisions and you'll see what I mean.The unfortunate part of this is,Pratt homes are mixed in everywhere in Barrie where other builders build so you can have a row of nice houses and accross the street have a bunch of rift rafts living near you.

Dont count on Trarion to help with anything as thats another company thats a complete joke and waste of time!
Apr 25, 2012
1 posts
KESWICK
molson2 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2011 3:25 pm
Hi,

My name is Karen and I am the president of Pratt Homes. I would just like to clarify that I have been watching the postings on this site. I would like to assure you that the post that Meecha was referring to was not a builder's post. This post I am making now is the first post that I have made on this site.

I have been taking the feedback that has been posted to heart. I admit that our company has gone through a transition over the past few years. We are trying harder and have hopefully brought our customer service to a much higher level then it used to be. We have hired a VERY experienced service department manager 2 years ago and have seen a wonderful improvement in our service department. We hope that our homebuyers agree. We have also tried to bring our product level higher than it has ever been and we will continue to try to bring affordable quality to all our homeowners. Thank you very much to everyone for their very valuable feedback. It is greatly appreciated and we have tried very hard to make improvements in the areas suggested.

If any of our homebuyers have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact myself or our service department manager Wendy at 705-721-9912.

My wife and I bought a Pratt built home in Innisfil which was brand new in. We began taking close notice of how the cupboards weren't squared up with each other. The floors almost seemed to sag slightly in certain areas and creak as well. The bathtub creaked when we stood in it to have a shower. The corners weren't squared, and in places sagged and began cracking. We also noticed that the boards on the stairs going down to the basement had a gap along the baseboards because we could see the light shining up from the basement. Not my idea of a well built home. When speaking with my neighbor, he even said that they noticed similar flaws. Needless to say, we sold and moved to Newmarket. Not worth the cost. I'm sorry, but I would have to say "Buyer beware".
May 2, 2012
1 posts
NORTH YORK
:facepalm: Baywood homes is unreliable and cheap quality homes. I have a Baywood home and I would not purchase another from them. If anyone purhcases a home from baywood be aware, The quality is poor and customer service is a blame shifting game.
Oh and once your warranty is up... please lose their number, cause they will for sure lose yours.
I completely understand that maintaining a home is of great importance and I do so. But I've seen almost 95% of my issues with my home happening after 5 years, but the issues are not what you would expect. I've even informed them of faulty and defective materials used and they could care less. Bottom line is the job was done and they are not promising great quality work. Some unsuspecting person will fall into the same trap I'm in. I'm sending a serious warning... Baywood is not what you want if you need a quality home.
Jun 23, 2011
2 posts
bradpratt wrote:
Jan 11th, 2012 2:29 pm
My name is Brad Pratt and this is my first post on this site. I appreciate your comments and am very sorry if we have inconvenienced anyone as this was not our goal. We take service very seriously at Pratt Homes.
I am the owner of Pratt Homes only in Innisfil. Please feel free to contact myself personally with any concerns regard homes in Innisfil at 705-431-8859 *103.
In response to DeborahL, I have seen the concrete materials on the Bassingthwaite Court lots across from you and will remove as soon as the snow is gone. I apologize as this material should never have been put there.
In Response to Lee1231 and Casanova83 please contact myself directly with your concerns and I will be happy to assist you if they have not already been resolved.

Brad, my name is Deborah and I am a proud owner of a beautiful home on Bassingthwaite Court. This blog of yours above was partly to me. I am also the owner of the beautiful lawn that your workers totally destroyed the other day. It was done without respect for our property or our selves and that has my husband talking with our lawyer.
Yes, its just grass but my husband spent time and money to have it as nice as it was, neighbours would ask how he got it so damn nice and he was so proud so to us it was a sign of pride of ownership not just grass. We were to have a post hole digger coming this weekend to dig the holes for the back yard fence we need to put up and without any concern for us, your workers dug the clearly marked (orange X with a pole) first spot for the fence so tell me how can we dig the holes now and it's not easy getting trades to work at the times my husband is home. As I look out there today they have laid the footings and it is clear that the hole did not have to take out the first four feet of our property at all, it did not have to destroy our plans for the fence etc etc. I can't help wonder if we had have been in a Pratt home (owned two before ) and not our Gregor home, would this have happened? We have taken pictures and are talking with our lawyer because this is totally unacceptable and not right that we be treating with such disrespect. I want my beautiful yard back and my fence put up.
Deborah L.
Aug 19, 2012
2 posts
NORTH YORK
Ive recently made a commitment to purchase a townhome on a new location south woods,after reading some comments I'm in doubt....but some of the post here are a few years old?,
Has anyone have any opinion with the current situation with Pratt?.
Jan 8, 2013
1 posts
SCARBOROUGH
I have never purchased a home from these people, but a friend of mine has. She has just recently found out that her husband's company is closing and will be out of a job in August. She's also not sure about the safety of her job, so they decided it would be better to not go through with the purchase. She called Pratt and they got back to her to let her know that they would let her out of the agreement, but that they would be keeping the $6,500.00. They haven't even broken ground on this lot. I personally would stay as fare away from this builder as possible!
Jul 3, 2005
449 posts
Barrie
Mehnert wrote:
Jan 9th, 2013 10:24 am
I have never purchased a home from these people, but a friend of mine has. She has just recently found out that her husband's company is closing and will be out of a job in August. She's also not sure about the safety of her job, so they decided it would be better to not go through with the purchase. She called Pratt and they got back to her to let her know that they would let her out of the agreement, but that they would be keeping the $6,500.00. They haven't even broken ground on this lot. I personally would stay as fare away from this builder as possible!
I didn't buy through Pratt, but I think if you backed out of the house purchase you can't expect to get your deposit back. That's pretty clearly defined in the contract. I'd be GLAD it was only $6500, hell... The fact Pratt only required a $6500 deposit would make me wonder to begin with.
|\|egZero |/\|as |-|ere
Jun 11, 2012
2 posts
BARRIE
I've had multiple Pratt properties starting in 2001? My mother bought a Pratt home as an investment opportunity as it's walking distance to Georgian College. The property is located on Weymouth RD. The workmanship or lack there of was quite apparent. Everything from the drywall, fixtures, flooring, sod, sub-flooring, carpet, foundation everything is poorly done and they use the cheapest materials around. My mother even had a lot of the "upgrades" done that the sales team really try and push on. My Mom had to fight with them just to get the simplest of the fixes made.

We had 18 can's of beer and other trash (wood, screws, rolls of tape, tubes of adhesive) shoved down the vents from the workers. Nobody had been in the house yet. We tried getting out what we could but a lot of it we couldn't get out. So we took pic's went to their office and the lady didn't believe her and said it couldn't have been the workers they aren't allowed to drink on the job. After some yelling the lady I guess out of pure embarrassment (there were other I guess potential home buyers in the office at the time) agreed to have someone come out to take a look at it .... in 10days. Well we couldn't wait that long had someone moving in before that. So we hired some duct guys and $1,300 later had got all the trash out of the vents. It was a long process and they had to take some of the duct work apart to get the trash out and then had to run a camera though and make sure everything was clear. They use "pop corn ceilings" in a lot of their homes anyways the was one area that had what looked like a water mark so we took pic's and back in the office. The sent someone out to respray that area. They did and it didn't fix the problem. There was a leak from the tub one of the pipes was leaking water. Pratt wouldn't fix it and we had 2 college students living there so we hired a plumber to fix it. Don't remember the cost as I was 15 at the time but I'm sure it was a fair amount. As they had to cut into the wall to expose the pipes and then have someone drywall and tile.

The sod they used didn't take and was full of weeds (none of the sod took on the whole street) I guess people complained so Pratts way of fixing it was no joke they dumped a few truck loads of sod on the street and people were to do it themselves. The people that used that sod had all weeds ect we hired a lawn care service. Some other problems were the floor squeak. It was how they lined up the flooring joists. We tried screwing it down (we had an unfinished basement) but it didn't help much. So we replaced the floors. Ripped up the ply wood and replaced it (there is still some squeaks but it's much better) We had leaks in our basement as well as foundation cracks. Drafty windows the room above the garage was the worst. We tore out the drywall wasn't much insulation helped some but like others said the windows are crap so we put up that plastic wrap over the windows in the winter for the tenants(this summer I plan to replace all 8 windows).

In 2008 I bought the house from my Mother and still rent it out to students. She paid 125k and I bough it from her for 180k today it's worth is around 220k. We put collectively about 70-80k into the place. A lot of people bought a house and lived in it for a year then sold it making 15-20k in the process. So know what your getting yourself into. As in investment opportunity a cheap Pratt house could be great (more so if you are a dyi'er). On the other hand if you plan on living there long term be aware your going to shell out some money for fixes and upgrades which can get costly and you might not see a good return on it $1 for $1. If it wasn't for Barrie's strong housing market and the location to the College and RVH I wouldn't have bought Pratt.I have never lived in a Pratt home longer then 1mo and I have owned 3 and sold 2 of them.
× < >