Students

Pre admission test at Humber college,practical nursing.....

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2017 11:33 pm
[OP]
Oct 14, 2011
8 posts

Pre admission test at Humber college,practical nursing.....

Hi everybody,
I am taking pre admission test at Humber college for practical nursing which include math,biology,chemistry and english essay.Please,can you tell me something about questions,how they look like and what is the best way to prepare for.Thank you!!!
43 replies
Jun 2, 2011
651 posts
61 upvotes
The English essay will ask you "Why do you want to go into your program of choice"? Simple question and you must write an essay. Content, structure and grammar will be marked.

In terms of math, there's no hard concepts like calculus, trignometry, geometry and statistics. Its simple stuff that you've covered in elementary school like fractions, unit conversions (cm to meters), addition/subtraction/multiplication/division and a few simple word problems.

The test is one thing but its kind of insulting that they charge $35 just to write a test that even a grade 9 student can write hands-down. Does it really cost Humber $35 to administer this test let alone being necessary. Its just a blatant cash grab.
[OP]
Oct 14, 2011
8 posts
Thank You very much for letting me know what to expect on english and math test,but it will be a very appreciated if you can tell me something about biology and chemistry,too.Those are my biggest concerns.
About that 35 $ fee,is funny and stupid but I do not have other choice than to pay it because I am stay home mom with two little girls and only i can go to school like a part time student.I am living in Burlington so that school is closest to me.Like I said,I have no other choice,so I need to be prepare for that exam and pay that fee.Thanks
Nov 23, 2011
4 posts
1 upvote
BRAMPTON
I have a good friend who took the same test as you and did not get in the Practical Nursing at humber but got accepted at different college. (The college she got accepted to based applicant by marks (she got 85+ Avg) not test) Anyway, she had trouble on the bio and chem because most of the content on the test was not tough in high school (she was at HS that time). Remember, even if u do well on the test, it does not mean you get in. Only the top student (for example, the top 60 applicant). Health program in Ontario are hard to get in because of high number of applicant.

Be sure that Humber is not only your choice.
[OP]
Oct 14, 2011
8 posts
Which other colleges do have part time program for practical nursing ?
Jun 2, 2011
651 posts
61 upvotes
Have you tried applying to George Brown College for practical nursing. My biggest grievance with Humber College is not only the fees for testing and transfer credits, but they dont seem to evaulate students fairly and objectively. If the dean of the program "believes" (note the quotation marks) that you're not nurse-material, the dean will eliminate your position very quickly.

In terms of biology and chemistry, the content will cover simple stuff found in college level preparation courses in high school that have the "C" code instead of the "U" code. For example, the biology questions if I recall: "How many ATP generated per molecule of glucose, what is the difference between cell, tissue and organ, identify parts and the functions of each cell. There wont be hard biology stuff like Darwinian evolution, ecology and other non-health science related biology. For chemistry, questions such as calculating dilutions, what happens when acids and bases are mixed, simple chemical reactions, balancing chemical questions etc..... Again, there wont be hard-core chemistry stuff such as atoms, buffers, etc....
May 9, 2010
174 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
George Brown College offers a part time practical nursing program.

Though not part time Centennial offers a flex-time program where you have about 3 courses a semester. It runs through the fall/winter/summer semester.
Dec 4, 2011
3 posts
jackiechan511 wrote:
Nov 25th, 2011 9:58 pm
Have you tried applying to George Brown College for practical nursing. My biggest grievance with Humber College is not only the fees for testing and transfer credits, but they dont seem to evaulate students fairly and objectively. If the dean of the program "believes" (note the quotation marks) that you're not nurse-material, the dean will eliminate your position very quickly.

In terms of biology and chemistry, the content will cover simple stuff found in college level preparation courses in high school that have the "C" code instead of the "U" code. For example, the biology questions if I recall: "How many ATP generated per molecule of glucose, what is the difference between cell, tissue and organ, identify parts and the functions of each cell. There wont be hard biology stuff like Darwinian evolution, ecology and other non-health science related biology. For chemistry, questions such as calculating dilutions, what happens when acids and bases are mixed, simple chemical reactions, balancing chemical questions etc..... Again, there wont be hard-core chemistry stuff such as atoms, buffers, etc....

I would be taking the humber rpn pre admissions test in January, I am really nervous since I am in high school taking all the required courses expect for grade 12 biology. What would you specifically recommened to study interms of biology, chemistry, and math. Also, is there a certain average on the test needed to get in at Humber rpn.

Thanks
Jun 2, 2011
651 posts
61 upvotes
janessajohn wrote:
Dec 5th, 2011 12:06 pm
I would be taking the humber rpn pre admissions test in January, I am really nervous since I am in high school taking all the required courses expect for grade 12 biology. What would you specifically recommened to study interms of biology, chemistry, and math. Also, is there a certain average on the test needed to get in at Humber rpn.

Thanks

I dont know the actual mark or average minimum required on this test to gain admission.

If you've take "C" level courses then that's all you need. There's nothing complex in the questions such as explain Dalton's model of the atom, doing a calculus derivative, or anything like that. If you've taken "U" courses at high school, then you've done more than enough and should not worry. There's nothing in this admissions test that will come-out-of-the-blue kind of thing.

Its kind of ironic that Humber College (and a few schools) does a preadmission test when other RPN schools in the province dont do such type of preadmission testing.
Dec 4, 2011
3 posts
jackiechan511 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2011 2:30 pm
I dont know the actual mark or average minimum required on this test to gain admission.

If you've take "C" level courses then that's all you need. There's nothing complex in the questions such as explain Dalton's model of the atom, doing a calculus derivative, or anything like that. If you've taken "U" courses at high school, then you've done more than enough and should not worry. There's nothing in this admissions test that will come-out-of-the-blue kind of thing.

Its kind of ironic that Humber College (and a few schools) does a preadmission test when other RPN schools in the province dont do such type of preadmission testing.

Thanks so much.. I wish Humber did not have the admissions test . The one test i worry the most about is the essay I am not to good at writing essays and I heard they had added multiple topics to choose from now.
[OP]
Oct 14, 2011
8 posts
Hi Janessajohn,just want to ask you how was your test?Is it hard,what essay subject you had?
When are you going to find out the results?Do you know what average mark is enough in order to be accepted?Thank you.
I am having that test next week.
Feb 2, 2012
4 posts
2 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
confused1 wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2012 12:41 pm
Hi Janessajohn,just want to ask you how was your test?Is it hard,what essay subject you had?
When are you going to find out the results?Do you know what average mark is enough in order to be accepted?Thank you.
I am having that test next week.

my test is tomorrow!! I am so scared :confused: I got a sheet from the tour saying there is 30 questions for math need 22 correct to pass biology 30 questions 18 correct to pass and chemistry 31 questions 18 correct to pass. English component is an essay. I heard the test is not hard and it takes 2 -3 weeks for results.
[OP]
Oct 14, 2011
8 posts
my test is tomorrow!! I am so scared I got a sheet from the tour saying there is 30 questions for math need 22 correct to pass biology 30 questions 18 correct to pass and chemistry 31 questions 18 correct to pass. English component is an essay. I heard the test is not hard and it takes 2 -3 weeks for results.

Please, can you tell me how was the test?Was it hard,can you recall any questions?
Thank you very much.
Feb 2, 2012
4 posts
2 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
smartway wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2012 1:35 pm
my test is tomorrow!! I am so scared :confused: I got a sheet from the tour saying there is 30 questions for math need 22 correct to pass biology 30 questions 18 correct to pass and chemistry 31 questions 18 correct to pass. English component is an essay. I heard the test is not hard and it takes 2 -3 weeks for results.

The test was not too hard.. just make sure for math you study fractions and decimals adding subtracting multiplication and division and mass conversions bio and chem was very basic .. there was diagrams to answers questions. All multiple choice except for the essay.. they hand out different essay questions to everyone the were not hard though.