Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
2048 posts
636 upvotes
Alberta

Pre-approved Royal Credit Line® account vs Tangerine Overdraft Protection

I was going to apply for a credit line with Tangerine after I had some difficulties recently with liquidity and coincidentally I've just received an offer from RBC with a pre-approved credit line.

I've never had one.

They don't disclose the credit line limit neither the rate. They want me to visit a branch.

Is it possible to negotiate when it's pre-approved or it's like take it like it is or nothing ?
Of course it'll be an unsecured credit line. Are RBC rates usually higher than Tangerine ones?

Thanks.
18 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3696 upvotes
iamthebest wrote: I was going to apply for a credit line with Tangerine after I had some difficulties recently with liquidity and coincidentally I've just received an offer from RBC with a pre-approved credit line.

I've never had one.

They don't disclose the credit line limit neither the rate. They want me to visit a branch.

Is it possible to negotiate when it's pre-approved or it's like take it like it is or nothing ?
Of course it'll be an unsecured credit line. Are RBC rates usually higher than Tangerine ones?

Thanks.
Overdraft and LOCs are two different products.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2781 posts
2300 upvotes
Winnipeg
An unsecured LOC will have a lower rate than overdraft protection. (at least it should, if it doesn't.....that's a VERY bad rate)

A LOC is a very different product than an overdraft. Overdraft protection is short term and you pay it off. A LOC you can take as long as you want to pay it off as long as you make the minimum payments.
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
2048 posts
636 upvotes
Alberta
Does Tangerine has credit line? I found only that they have Home Equity Line of Credit .
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3696 upvotes
iamthebest wrote: Does Tangerine has credit line? I found only that they have Home Equity Line of Credit .
Nope, no unsecured LOC.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2781 posts
2300 upvotes
Winnipeg
Kasakato wrote: Nope, no unsecured LOC.
They used to have one (back in the ING days), I think the people who had it got to keep it and are grandfathered, but no new applications for a long time. (last offered in 2009 - any-alternatives-ing-direct-they-pissed ... g-1076140/ )
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
2052 posts
409 upvotes
GTA
overdraft can be expensive when you use it. I'd go with the line of credit for sure
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1633 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'd go with both.

Nobody wants to use overdraft protection, but if something bad happens and you need it, you need it. It's better to pay $5 than $30 or $40 or whatever unprotected overdraft costs, and Tangerine doesn't charge fees just to have the overdraft. Furthermore, if it's "oops, I had money in savings but forgot to move it to chequing" you have a day to do just that.

Any overdraft will have high interest, of course, far higher than a typical unsecured line of credit. The name "whoops protection" was well-chosen, as it's better for fixing short-term mistakes than as a credit product. For longer-term cashflow problems, that's what the line of credit is for. That's why I say go with both.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
3009 posts
1629 upvotes
Apple and an Orange. Have both.
Let the overdraft take care of immediate need and deposit a LoC cheque into Tangerine if the account won't go into positive before the end of the day.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
2279 posts
2192 upvotes
Shawguy wrote: They used to have one (back in the ING days), I think the people who had it got to keep it and are grandfathered, but no new applications for a long time. (last offered in 2009 - any-alternatives-ing-direct-they-pissed ... g-1076140/ )
Yes, I got an offer for that old unsecured LOC from INGDirect after a few mths of opening an account in early 2000s. Stupid me!! I did not take it despite being pre-approved as I was in no urgent need at that time.
“Ninety percent of all human wisdom is the ability to mind your own business.”
— Robert A. Heinlein
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
2048 posts
636 upvotes
Alberta
Thank for your answers. So, I'm going to accept my pre-approved credit line at RBC. For the records, I'll let you know what are the conditions they gave me.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5550 posts
2220 upvotes
OP - if the letter you received doesn't have a limit or a rate, it is unlikely you received an actual pre-approval and most likely simply received a piece of marketing material inviting you to apply (regardless of what language was used)

If you need to go into a branch, that's another signal you need to do a whole application - once they pull your credit bureau they'll know what the limit and rate is, if you're even truly approved (they'll also ask for income confirmation). Btw - if you are eventually approved once you visit the branch, you can ask for a higher limit and lower rate than what they give you
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
2048 posts
636 upvotes
Alberta
TodayHello wrote: OP - if the letter you received doesn't have a limit or a rate, it is unlikely you received an actual pre-approval and most likely simply received a piece of marketing material inviting you to apply (regardless of what language was used)

If you need to go into a branch, that's another signal you need to do a whole application - once they pull your credit bureau they'll know what the limit and rate is, if you're even truly approved (they'll also ask for income confirmation). Btw - if you are eventually approved once you visit the branch, you can ask for a higher limit and lower rate than what they give you
They sent me a private message through Online Banking:

Subject : You're pre-approved for a Royal Credit Line® account
Date : 14 Dec 2015 00:00:00

"Congratulations! You've been pre-approved1 for a Royal Credit Line account.

Save on interest costs and simplify your monthly payments!

This line of credit lets you save with an interest rate that is much lower than most credit cards. Plus, there are no annual or cash advance fees2. You can use your Royal Credit Line as an everyday tool to help you pay down your higher interest debts.

The flexibility of your new Royal Credit Line:

24/7 access to your credit limit use online, mobile3 or telephone banking, or visit any RBC Royal Bank® branch during business hours when you want access. You can also withdraw or transfer money at any RBC® ATM, or write cheques from your Royal Credit Line account.

Source of reusable funds when you pay down your Royal Credit Line account balance, your credit becomes available again.

Payment options decide how much you want to pay that month pay as little as interest only4 or more if you want to pay your balances off faster.

You're already pre-approved no need to apply. To say YES to this limited- time offer, visit your local branch or call 1-866-776-4994 by February 15, 2016.

Be sure to ask about LoanProtector®5 insurance for your Royal Credit Line account. It's critical illness, disability and life insurance coverage that can help protect your lifestyle and all you have achieved. You only pay for the coverage you need and you can cancel at any time. Call 1-800-769-2523 today to apply.

®/TM Trademark(s) of Royal Bank of Canada. RBC and Royal Bank are registered trademarks of Royal Bank of Canada. Personal lending products are offered by Royal Bank of Canada and are subject to standard lending criteria. 1 Your pre-set credit limit has been pre-approved for this Royal Credit Line account offer. This pre-approved offer is exclusive to you. If you need to add a co-borrower on your Royal Credit Line account, you will be required to complete a full application. 2 Two Royal Credit Line cheques may be written during each monthly cycle without charge. A $2.00 Royal Credit Line Cheque Fee applies to each cheque thereafter. 3 RBC Mobile Banking and RBC Online Banking are provided by Royal Bank of Canada. You will need access to Online Banking to be able to use the Mobile Banking app. 4 The minimum payment is the accrued interest, service fees and any other charges that apply for that period, including your LoanProtector insurance premium and taxes, if applicable. 5 LoanProtector is a creditor's group insurance program underwritten by The Canada Life Assurance Company and is subject to terms, conditions, exclusions and eligibility restrictions".
Jun 2, 2006
327 posts
13 upvotes
OP what the user below said is correct. Make sure it is not a conditional pre-approval. If it is your bureau is pulled and the approval is not guaranteed and income etc may be verified. True pre-approvals have set limits and a rate and do not pull your credit bureau with RBC RCL pre-approvals. Credit card pre-approvals even if guaranteed are the ones with RBC that ALWAYS pull your credit bureau. Overdraft pre-approvals with RBC do not pull your credit bureau and are guaranteed.

Hope this clears up any pre-approval questions with this particular institution.
TodayHello wrote: OP - if the letter you received doesn't have a limit or a rate, it is unlikely you received an actual pre-approval and most likely simply received a piece of marketing material inviting you to apply (regardless of what language was used)

Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
2052 posts
409 upvotes
GTA
If op waits for a couple of more months, they will send one with an actual amount that the bank will offer for his rcl. This is usually the trend.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5550 posts
2220 upvotes
iamthebest wrote: They sent me a private message through Online Banking:

Subject : You're pre-approved for a Royal Credit Line® account
Date : 14 Dec 2015 00:00:00

"Congratulations! You've been pre-approved1 for a Royal Credit Line account.

Save on interest costs and simplify your monthly payments!

This line of credit lets you save with an interest rate that is much lower than most credit cards. Plus, there are no annual or cash advance fees2. You can use your Royal Credit Line as an everyday tool to help you pay down your higher interest debts.

The flexibility of your new Royal Credit Line:

24/7 access to your credit limit use online, mobile3 or telephone banking, or visit any RBC Royal Bank® branch during business hours when you want access. You can also withdraw or transfer money at any RBC® ATM, or write cheques from your Royal Credit Line account.

Source of reusable funds when you pay down your Royal Credit Line account balance, your credit becomes available again.

Payment options decide how much you want to pay that month pay as little as interest only4 or more if you want to pay your balances off faster.

You're already pre-approved no need to apply. To say YES to this limited- time offer, visit your local branch or call 1-866-776-4994 by February 15, 2016.

Be sure to ask about LoanProtector®5 insurance for your Royal Credit Line account. It's critical illness, disability and life insurance coverage that can help protect your lifestyle and all you have achieved. You only pay for the coverage you need and you can cancel at any time. Call 1-800-769-2523 today to apply.

®/TM Trademark(s) of Royal Bank of Canada. RBC and Royal Bank are registered trademarks of Royal Bank of Canada. Personal lending products are offered by Royal Bank of Canada and are subject to standard lending criteria. 1 Your pre-set credit limit has been pre-approved for this Royal Credit Line account offer. This pre-approved offer is exclusive to you. If you need to add a co-borrower on your Royal Credit Line account, you will be required to complete a full application. 2 Two Royal Credit Line cheques may be written during each monthly cycle without charge. A $2.00 Royal Credit Line Cheque Fee applies to each cheque thereafter. 3 RBC Mobile Banking and RBC Online Banking are provided by Royal Bank of Canada. You will need access to Online Banking to be able to use the Mobile Banking app. 4 The minimum payment is the accrued interest, service fees and any other charges that apply for that period, including your LoanProtector insurance premium and taxes, if applicable. 5 LoanProtector is a creditor's group insurance program underwritten by The Canada Life Assurance Company and is subject to terms, conditions, exclusions and eligibility restrictions".
Interesting - sounds like a true pre-approval.

Call and find out and let us know!
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8976 posts
2827 upvotes
Yeah let us know what your rate is...mine's Prime +2
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
2048 posts
636 upvotes
Alberta
imflying12 wrote: If op waits for a couple of more months, they will send one with an actual amount that the bank will offer for his rcl. This is usually the trend.
You were right to a certain extent :razz:

I received by mail the written offer with details, however it was just 1 week after ......

They give me Prime rate + 3.99% = 6.69% today and $10K.

[/IMG]

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)