Tags:
None
Penalty Box
Oct 17, 2012
2689 posts
124 upvotes

pre construction property taxes

brought a pre construction house

town of markham charges me taxes before closing after a year i closed my property (well basically was builder forward the bill to me or refuse to pay)

so i called up to town of markham why charge me instead of the builder. their response from them was there this clauses that during the delayed period "the house not ready" i am still responsible to pay for the property taxes . that doesn't sound right

the town try to get from the builder but refused to pay so they ran after me instead.... that's a year later i got such charges from the invoice called adjustment taxes

got the house around feb 2012 got such charges on feb 2014
2 replies
Banned
Feb 2, 2014
1426 posts
942 upvotes
The 6
TripleTAP wrote: brought a pre construction house

town of markham charges me taxes before closing after a year i closed my property (well basically was builder forward the bill to me or refuse to pay)

so i called up to town of markham why charge me instead of the builder. their response from them was there this clauses that during the delayed period "the house not ready" i am still responsible to pay for the property taxes . that doesn't sound right

the town try to get from the builder but refused to pay so they ran after me instead.... that's a year later i got such charges from the invoice called adjustment taxes

got the house around feb 2012 got such charges on feb 2014
Hey buddy,

Similar thing happened to me. Contact the lawyer whom you closed this property through and forward the bills to him. He should be able to address this issue by either getting the builder's lawyer to pay for what they're responsible for or make a claim with title insurance (In any event, you will only be responsible for taxes from the closing date forward). This is a fairly standard issue so your lawyer should be capable of addressing it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9473 posts
2650 upvotes
Municipalities are only good for two things, collecting taxes and raising them. They have your home to hold as hostage so that don't care to go after anyone but the current owner and leave the mess up to you. If your lawyer charges you fees for this you should try and recuperate them from the city seeing that you're doing their job.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)