[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2002
1111 posts
89 upvotes
Halifax, NS

Pre-Paid Data Service in Nova Scotia?

Hey all,

My wife is visiting home in the Halifax/Valley area (from abroad) for a month and we need to get her a pre-paid plan for data. Her phone is unlocked and ready to go, but I remember the Canadian mobile market being laughable (cringe-worthy may be a better term).

Calling and TXT is not needed, only data. Probably about 2gb will do for the month.

Anyone have any suggestions? I think Bell is $50 + $10 for the SIM card + some other set up fee - the whole process seemed intentionally complicated. I'm hoping for something better. I looked at Chatr (Walmart?), but from what I can tell, the data only works in GTA, Vancouver and Montreal.

I know it's not the same, but for comparison, where we live, I pay $33 per month after taxes, for 4gb and 300 minutes (each). And the kicker, you can buy SIM cards and plans from a vending machine at the airport. :)
3 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
12576 posts
2661 upvotes
Toronto
How about getting a Public Mobile SIM and activating one of their plans. They are a prepaid service and according to their coverage map the entire Nova Scotia area is covered. Their price is okay for just data, $38 for 2 gigs, 30 days. SIM card will cost you $5.

https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/coverage
Nov 4, 2015
22 posts
8 upvotes
Halifax
I live in Halifax and frequent the Valley. Avoid rogers or fido in the valley, their prepaid services don't take advantage of their EXT coverage so it gets spotty in places. Public mobile is likely the best bet as mentioned above.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2002
1111 posts
89 upvotes
Halifax, NS
Thanks. She ended up going with Telus ($65 for 3gb), but I'm pretty sure the guy ignored her request and signed her up for Pay-As-You-Go, instead of prepaid. So this will be a mess to clean up when she leaves.

I may try the Public Mobile one when I go next month. Appreciate the suggestion.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel