• Mar 28th, 2024 9:18 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
6041 posts
2751 upvotes
Vancouver
Eldorado wrote: Applied around March 30/31st and received approval email today stating card and pin are on the way!

3 week timeline, now lets see how fast card shows up
I can't believe that.
I applied on Feb 8. Just noticed they did credit check on Mar 28. Still no word from HT whether I have been approved or declined.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2015
2299 posts
2095 upvotes
Ontario
RichRFD wrote: Applied Jan 31
Mass email Feb 5
Credit check Mar 27

I'm surprised people who applied up to two weeks after me have already received their card...
Sent them an email about my application April 19 2 am
No direct response, but received an email approving my application April 19 10:30 am

Someone there clearly dropped the ball. If you applied in January/February and are still waiting, I recommend shooting them an email with your application number and the date you applied. That way if they did forget about you, they shouldn't need to follow up to confirm your identity before they hopefully take the next steps.
Virgin Plus ($29/35GB BYOD)
Banned
Feb 23, 2004
7940 posts
3542 upvotes
EdisonL299 wrote: I just checked my statement and confirmed I got cash back for foreign purchases.
I received my first statement from Home Trust, and there is one USD purchase on it. Cash back shows $0.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2010
1638 posts
517 upvotes
Alpha Centauri
Balduno wrote: I received my first statement from Home Trust, and there is one USD purchase on it. Cash back shows $0.
That is normal. Don't expect 100% reconciliation each statement. Next month it will show up and so on.
Jan 19, 2007
34 posts
14 upvotes
Ottawa
It looks like they changed the signup process. I was asked to reapply and found that they have a new procedure. In the application process, I was presented with questions about items on my Equifax file that I had to verify.

This may be why the newer applications have a quicker turnaround time.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
6041 posts
2751 upvotes
Vancouver
Daufin02 wrote: Applied for Brim about a week earlier. Nothing,

Does anyone know if Home Trust has already done the credit check when they sent that email requesting ID and statements? Unfortunately, I don't have an Equifax subscription and cannot tell if the hit has been made.
Sign up for borrowell, Long thread here and it's free. They only update report once a month though.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2008
1053 posts
287 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm in the U.S. this week-end. Used my card at a U.S. supermarket yesterday without issues. Earlier today, attempted to make a purchase at a food court. Transaction was declined with a message to "Call Center". Anybody run into this? I don't want to call since doing so with my cell phone will be $$$$. This was only my second transaction, so it's not related to the transaction limit.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
3176 posts
3130 upvotes
Toronto
minimalist wrote: Oh, and you work for Loblaws...too bad they couldn't approve you!
Aha yeah, to be fair though this as before I worked with them so I don’t know :P
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
3176 posts
3130 upvotes
Toronto
I understand why home trust would approve some applications faster than others through a risk assessment, but this doesn’t explain why they haven’t even touched some applications, for example in my case they haven’t even done a hard hit on me, and every call I’ve made has told me that they haven’t even touched my application, so I have no idea what they’re doing.
Deal Guru
Aug 24, 2016
11668 posts
14021 upvotes
Win-ter-peg
Daufin02 wrote: Applied for Brim about a week earlier. Nothing,

Does anyone know if Home Trust has already done the credit check when they sent that email requesting ID and statements? Unfortunately, I don't have an Equifax subscription and cannot tell if the hit has been made.
They only ask for documents if they need to verify information and compare it with your credit report.
The check would have been completed already or else they wouldn’t know they need to verify something.
This usually also means that they are approving you, but need to take these extra steps as they are required by law.
They wouldn’t waste time verifying somebody they weren’t going to approve.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
2925 posts
628 upvotes
Toronto
Are people here comfortable e-mailing copies of your passport or DL?
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2010
1638 posts
517 upvotes
Alpha Centauri
Jenny1975 wrote: I'm in the U.S. this week-end. Used my card at a U.S. supermarket yesterday without issues. Earlier today, attempted to make a purchase at a food court. Transaction was declined with a message to "Call Center". Anybody run into this? I don't want to call since doing so with my cell phone will be $$$$. This was only my second transaction, so it's not related to the transaction limit.
How do you expect to find out the problem without calling them? Wouldn't have made a difference anyway since they're only open from Mon-Fri 8am-8pm.
On your next non-weekend visit find a food court pay phone for toll-free calls.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2001
5231 posts
4105 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
HotYaris wrote: How do you expect to find out the problem without calling them? Wouldn't have made a difference anyway since they're only open from Mon-Fri 8am-8pm.
On your next non-weekend visit find a food court pay phone for toll-free calls.
I'd call 'em using Google Hangouts over WiFI, free calling!
😱
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
6494 posts
2490 upvotes
Ontario
jacnel wrote: I understand why home trust would approve some applications faster than others through a risk assessment, but this doesn’t explain why they haven’t even touched some applications, for example in my case they haven’t even done a hard hit on me, and every call I’ve made has told me that they haven’t even touched my application, so I have no idea what they’re doing.
My wife applied last year and they totally lost her application. She even gave them the reference number that appeared after she had submitted her application. They said they couldn't do anything with it.

On the other hand, I applied March 12, got an approval email on April 12 and got the PIN a few days. So it's really hit and miss with them. In any case, I think the new Rogers WE MC is a better card with 1.75% in Canada and 1.5% abroad (HT is 1%). So I'll be applying for Rogers WE when it comes out in the next few months.
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay, AF $0
MBNA RWE 5.4% grocery/resto
Bank: EQ (1.5%)
Dec 9, 2010
500 posts
92 upvotes
minimalist wrote: I think the new Rogers WE MC is a better card with 1.75% in Canada and 1.5% abroad (HT is 1%)
Rogers charges 2.5% on FOREX purchases, and rewards you 4% cash back.
Hometrust charges 0% on FOREX purchases, and rewards you 1% cash back.

Therefore, you pay 2.5% out of pocket for a FOREX return with Rogers, but 0% with HomeTrust.
If you know you will not FOREX return, then Rogers gives you 0.5% more cash back than HomeTrust.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29133 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
joolsca wrote: How does that explain the people applying and being sent cards with no follow up? If it was consistent I would understand completely.
Why do they have to be consistent or explain their approval methodology to us? Perhaps they do extra vetting of people who fall into specific risk categories. Perhaps they do extra vetting at random.
veni, vidi, Visa
Apr 20, 2018
7 posts
Vancouver Island
Hey,

Been lurking for awhile, made an account to post my timeline for this card:

Feb 5th, 2018 Applied Online for HT Card.
April 18th, 2018 Received an email asking for additional documentation.

I had actually given up on this Card. I figured almost 3 months have gone by since I applied, they must have lost the application or something.
I guess they are just really slow...
Jun 17, 2017
45 posts
1 upvote
parcelTracker wrote: Submitted application on March 5.
Email notification of approval received on April 12. (No other emails received between March 5 and April 12, just the approval email notification stating the card and PIN are on their way via snail mail).
Hope to receive the card this week.
Just an update...
PIN received - April 18.
Card received - April 20.
Sep 10, 2009
213 posts
283 upvotes
Toronto
Has anyone been able to sign up for paperless statements? Every time I try to register for it it says my validation code isn't valid.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Hey, I read OP & TS, but haven't found my answer and couldn't read entire thread.

Wondering whether this card would be good for international cash advances. Here's what I understand for cash advances on this card:
  • Usual 1% fee + ATM fee, 1.5% outside Canada
  • 22% interest or whatever (no grace period) - not a real concern as I'd pay it back right away so it'd only capitalize for the 2-5 days, or not even if I prepay the card
  • no forex fee (??) - I put question marks because I saw no mention of whether cash advances are excluded from the no forex surcharge

Right now I have MBNA Prestige Line which doesn't charge the lousy $7.50 fee but there's the usual 2.5% forex (it's "low interest" so only 9%). Say on a $500 cash advance, I'd pay $500+7.50+(ABM fee approx. $3) + maybe small interest versus $500*1.025=$512.50 + ABM fee & maybe small interest. On a $500 cash advance, that's easily a $5 instant savings. I understand that on a smaller cash advance, skipping the $7.50 may be bigger savings than the difference in forex.

I also consulted the cardholder agreement for HT Preferred visa and can't seem to figure out the answer.

The other thing is I would like a card for international cash advances on visa network (rather than MC). It's understood that all international cash advances incur forex given that no other country uses CAD, so the forex rate inevitably comes into play here.

Am I missing anything?

Edit: just read an old post. It's 1.5% fee for cash advances outside Canada/US. That's still $7.50 on a $500 cash advance (minimum fee is lower than expected). That makes this card so far a winner on Visa network for cash advances when travelling internationally afaik.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)