• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 9:18 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2014
1354 posts
2023 upvotes
batcave wrote: Roadside is meh on this card. The towing distance is very limited. Get the CTC WE MC. It has better roadside assistance.
Assuming one qualifies for the CTFS WE, then yes, its Roadside is superior on towing distance. Other than that they are the same for boosting, keying, fuel and my personal favourite, winching.
May 11, 2008
847 posts
383 upvotes
Vancouver
Anyone know if there's a list of restricted countries that Home Trust won't allow transactions.
I remember with Chase (Amazon & Marriott) cards they wouldn't allow for transactions in Myanmar, Syria, Ukraine, etc.
Apr 19, 2018
474 posts
373 upvotes
Wolfe Island, ON
gabbycup wrote: Except when you can't remember the PIN and the card locked up. This happened to me when I was in the States and could not use the card for the rest of the trip. Home Trust told me the chip in the card was fried and they would have to issue me a brand new card. They will mail it to me in 3-7 business days and if I want 2-day service the cost is $40.
Card pin lockouts are automatically cleared overnight - some time around 3:30 am EST. It is true that call centre agents cannot do the clearout themselves.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
aznrsx1979 wrote: Anyone know if there's a list of restricted countries that Home Trust won't allow transactions.
I remember with Chase (Amazon & Marriott) cards they wouldn't allow for transactions in Myanmar, Syria, Ukraine, etc.
Interesting.

TBH I don't think any CC would work in Myanmar.

I think there's a short blacklist of a few countries that affect all VISA cards. I noticed certain issuers (notably prepaid cards) have more extensive blacklists and also block Ukraine. I know MC footprint is more limited than VISA internationally. I also suspect an American FI (example CHASE) would block more destinations than most Canadian FI's.

I don't know of any blacklist specific to this card but I too would be curious to know.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29135 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
titaniumtux wrote: I don't know of any blacklist specific to this card but I too would be curious to know.
In Iceland my HT Visa wouldn't work with the terminals widely used in stores and restaurants but it worked fine online and for manual purchases. So in this case the "blacklist" seemed to be terminal model or maybe payment processor dependent.
veni, vidi, Visa
May 11, 2008
847 posts
383 upvotes
Vancouver
titaniumtux wrote: Interesting.

TBH I don't think any CC would work in Myanmar.

I think there's a short blacklist of a few countries that affect all VISA cards. I noticed certain issuers (notably prepaid cards) have more extensive blacklists and also block Ukraine. I know MC footprint is more limited than VISA internationally. I also suspect an American FI (example CHASE) would block more destinations than most Canadian FI's.

I don't know of any blacklist specific to this card but I too would be curious to know.
It was much easier to find the info for the Stack Mastercard and it looks like it's allowed in Myanmar
https://support.getstack.ca/hc/en-us/ar ... -Countries

Belarus
Democratic Republic of Congo
Eritrea
Iran
Lebanon
Libya
North Korea
Russia
South Sudan
Sudan
Syria
Tunisia
Ukraine
Venezuela
Yemen
Zimbabwe
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
aznrsx1979 wrote: It was much easier to find the info for the Stack Mastercard and it looks like it's allowed in Myanmar
https://support.getstack.ca/hc/en-us/ar ... -Countries

Belarus
Democratic Republic of Congo
Eritrea
Iran
Lebanon
Libya
North Korea
Russia
South Sudan
Sudan
Syria
Tunisia
Ukraine
Venezuela
Yemen
Zimbabwe
thank you for that. mind you, probably a greater challenge to use any cc in myanmar, even if the FI won't block it.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
May 11, 2008
847 posts
383 upvotes
Vancouver
titaniumtux wrote: thank you for that. mind you, probably a greater challenge to use any cc in myanmar, even if the FI won't block it.
From what others had told me and what I could find online was that ATM's were pretty scarce 3 or 4 years ago.
I was surprised by the number of ATM's around Yangon and Bagan when I was in Myanmar last year.
As a caution I just brought more cash along and exchanged on arrival instead of doing the usual and doing a cash advance on my Visa.

Most places however were cash only, except the larger or westernized restaurants, hotels and shops.
Nov 20, 2018
31 posts
5 upvotes
May I know how did you do it without fee?
No bank fee and interest free? Did it only work for Citi bank ATM?

I have never used cash advance before and I dont want to get hit with those fee when i go to Taiwan later.
Oct 24, 2008
156 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
Used my HT VISA in Holguin airport Duty-free, Cuba.
No pin, but signature was required. Worked without any issues. CUC 57.30 translated to pre-authorized CAD 80.66, which makes exchange rate CUC/CAD 1.41.
For reference, the same day purchase of CUC 24.41 paid by STACK MC was charged as CAD 33.26, i.e. CUC/CAD 1.36.
Both rates were better than posted rates at exchange points.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2018
2265 posts
1511 upvotes
tigger03 wrote: Can't change the PIN on this card. WTF?! I'm stuck with the one they gave me. Customer Service was no help.
How do you reset it?

I can't locate my pin
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29135 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
EDL67134234 wrote: How do you reset it?

I can't locate my pin
You can't change the PIN yourself. You have to call customer service.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3971 posts
386 upvotes
EDL67134234 wrote: How do you reset it?

I can't locate my pin
They have to send you your PIN again in the mail. It's the same PIN as before (I think)
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
chevale wrote: Used my HT VISA in Holguin airport Duty-free, Cuba.
No pin, but signature was required. Worked without any issues. CUC 57.30 translated to pre-authorized CAD 80.66, which makes exchange rate CUC/CAD 1.41.
For reference, the same day purchase of CUC 24.41 paid by STACK MC was charged as CAD 33.26, i.e. CUC/CAD 1.36.
Both rates were better than posted rates at exchange points.
Very cool! Both visa and MC work in Cuba? Good to know!
Oct 24, 2008
156 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote: Very cool! Both visa and MC work in Cuba? Good to know!
Yes, both work.
I didn't really needed those transaction, but wanted to see if and how cards will work and what FX difference will be.
No issues with the cards, but many issues with i-net at Cuba, so I wasn't able to withdraw cash by STACK to confirm difference in rates between MC and exchange points and if any fees will be charged.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
6907 posts
5592 upvotes
chevale wrote: Yes, both work.
I didn't really needed those transaction, but wanted to see if and how cards will work and what FX difference will be.
No issues with the cards, but many issues with i-net at Cuba, so I wasn't able to withdraw cash by STACK to confirm difference in rates between MC and exchange points and if any fees will be charged.
Cuba is the only vacation I goto where I am completely disconnected.

It was quite liberating and boring at the same time.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29135 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
mech9t5 wrote: Cuba is the only vacation I goto where I am completely disconnected.
Do they still warn tourists that GPSs are illegal, even as 90+% of arriving passengers pull out their smartphones and put them through the X-ray machine?
It was quite liberating and boring at the same time.
I downloaded a Google map of Cuba into my phone before leaving home. That too was probably a crime. But it was invaluable for getting around.

I also downloaded lots of books into Google Play. Much more convenient than dragging around a small paper library. Today I'd probably dump a pile of movies and TV shows on a uSD card.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jan 25, 2008
230 posts
50 upvotes
Is the cashback automatic or do I have to call in to receive it
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29135 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Stretchy wrote: Is the cashback automatic or do I have to call in to receive it
It's automatic. And it gets applied for last years' purchases in about 10 days from now.
veni, vidi, Visa

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)