Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
2351 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto

Premier Fitness (Yorkdale Mall)= WORST GYM EVER

I finished my 1 year contract last month and cancelled my membership cause I wasn't going to the gym anymore... yet i'm still getting billed on my chequeing account. Ive called in and inconveniently, they make you come in to talk to them in person. As a result i've made 2 visits to them now, about to make my 3rd. The first time when i cancelled, the lady said it was done. 2 weeks later i got billed, came in again, and was told that it didn't show on their computers that I had cancelled. So i had to cancel again. This time the guy assured me my account wouldnt be billed again, and made a note of it on my copy of the documents. Somehow I STILL got billed, what kind of business is this?! like wtf At this point I'd like to look into getting reimbursed for these charges, plus that 1 NSF fee i got hit with from my bank cause I wasn't expecting any bills. STAY AWAY FROM THIS PIECE OF **** OVERPRICED GYM :twisted: I don't understand how they could screw this up, it's so straight forward, i cancelled, **** OFF, would my bank do a chargeback?
38 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2004
3973 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the heads up but I think we have so many stories on "how people fed up with fitness club" or "how fitness clubs rip people off" in the other forum!

Friend of mine had a similar issue with formerly Bally too... :(
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Items 4 sale: Comp. | Cell. | Misc. | Auto
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2008
6858 posts
216 upvotes
Ontario
This is normal for them, JC the CEO has many lawsuits against him. Our local newspaper ran a week long story on this unscrupulous company. I used to pay $200/y cash (cheap via a manager I know), never gave them any banking info or my credit card number.
Then they let their machines break down without fixing them, the changerooms reduced to cleaning twice a week, it got pretty disgusting. I joined another gym, still pay cash upfront for the year.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
2351 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
wow... wish i knew that before i joined.... what can i do now? i was thinking about calling my bank and asking them to stop payments, but wont i just then get collectors harassing me?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15183 posts
759 upvotes
Woodbridge
Premier Fitness is like Bell ExpressVu as far as Billing.

I don't understand their ********. My membership ended and didn't renew, after a year I got a letter saying I owe them a year's fee!?!?!

I cleared it after a firm call to their customer service.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2008
6858 posts
216 upvotes
Ontario
Mugen123 wrote:
Mar 27th, 2009 12:06 am
wow... wish i knew that before i joined.... what can i do now? i was thinking about calling my bank and asking them to stop payments, but wont i just then get collectors harassing me?
Pull out your yellow copy agreement. Follow their cancellation policy. If it has to be written (I don't know because when I paid cash, it did not auto renew every year), make a copy of your letter and send it to them registered. Unfortunately if that's the case, that is considered 30 days notice and you will owe them one more stinkin month unless you ignore and don't mind a mark on your credit report. Then call your bank to stop payment if that's possible. If not, close the account. You did your end. Good luck. :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
2351 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
zoolander wrote:
Mar 27th, 2009 12:14 am
Pull out your yellow copy agreement. Follow their cancellation policy. If it has to be written (I don't know because when I paid cash, it did not auto renew every year), make a copy of your letter and send it to them registered. Unfortunately if that's the case, that is considered 30 days notice and you will owe them one more stinkin month unless you ignore and don't mind a mark on your credit report. Then call your bank to stop payment if that's possible. If not, close the account. You did your end. Good luck. :)
see... i did a stupid thiing by throwing my copy of the contract out, i hate filing papers... big mistake but i never thought id have to deal with this... all 3 times that i cancelled i did it in person, the last time i got a copy of the document signed by me and the rep, thats the only thing i still have
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3767 posts
300 upvotes
Toronto
Mugen123 wrote:
Mar 26th, 2009 9:57 pm
I finished my 1 year contract last month and cancelled my membership cause I wasn't going to the gym anymore... yet i'm still getting billed on my chequeing account. Ive called in and inconveniently, they make you come in to talk to them in person. As a result i've made 2 visits to them now, about to make my 3rd. The first time when i cancelled, the lady said it was done. 2 weeks later i got billed, came in again, and was told that it didn't show on their computers that I had cancelled. So i had to cancel again. This time the guy assured me my account wouldnt be billed again, and made a note of it on my copy of the documents. Somehow I STILL got billed, what kind of business is this?! like wtf At this point I'd like to look into getting reimbursed for these charges, plus that 1 NSF fee i got hit with from my bank cause I wasn't expecting any bills. STAY AWAY FROM THIS PIECE OF **** OVERPRICED GYM :twisted: I don't understand how they could screw this up, it's so straight forward, i cancelled, **** OFF, would my bank do a chargeback?
You should have pay them one shot when you enroll, that way no headache, no credit/debit card info, you will not lose any cents aside from those overprice gym membership. That what I did
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2006
3350 posts
65 upvotes
Mugen123 wrote:
Mar 27th, 2009 12:33 am
see... i did a stupid thiing by throwing my copy of the contract out, i hate filing papers... big mistake but i never thought id have to deal with this... all 3 times that i cancelled i did it in person, the last time i got a copy of the document signed by me and the rep, thats the only thing i still have
Friends had the same problem with extreme fitness.... canceled didn't listen, so went right to the bank and closed the account.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
2351 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
darkprince wrote:
Mar 27th, 2009 7:23 am
Friends had the same problem with extreme fitness.... canceled didn't listen, so went right to the bank and closed the account.
did they have collectors after them?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
5307 posts
272 upvotes
Just open a PC account dedicated for Premier Fitness, contract over, close the account :twisted:

When an account close and Pre-authorized withdrawal takes place, will they get charge?
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
8247 posts
2373 upvotes
Ottawa
tomtomtom wrote:
Mar 27th, 2009 9:39 am
Just open a PC account dedicated for Premier Fitness, contract over, close the account :twisted:

When an account close and Pre-authorized withdrawal takes place, will they get charge?
Why put all this effort to deal with a fradulent ruthless company? Not like they have a monopoly...
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
3766 posts
45 upvotes
Another lesson learned. Next time, cash ONLY, give no a/c or CC info ever. If they don't accept it, go somewhere else
Ephemera

Proud member since 2005!
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3767 posts
300 upvotes
Toronto
ephemera wrote:
Mar 27th, 2009 11:05 am
Another lesson learned. Next time, cash ONLY, give no a/c or CC info ever. If they don't accept it, go somewhere else
That is what I did. But if you say cash they will say you have to pay all in one shot.
Nov 28, 2003
115 posts
2 upvotes
how much are the monthly fee usually? i saw an ad for extreme fitness and it says 8$ a month, it sounds too good to be true.. anyone know if it is a sales gimmick?

if it is 8 dollars a month i wont mind paying up front for 1 or 2 years
× < >