• Nov 27th, 2012 10:18 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
2623 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Good thing I didn't sign up to that gym, was going to.
good choice, after this experience i'm never joining any gym again. I'm just gonna use my school gym and work out at home. Also never pre-authorizing any payments again.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2005
2664 posts
220 upvotes
Mugen123 wrote: just to update you guys, i visited the gym for the 4th time to discuss this... they said I had to speak to headquarters... im waiting for my phone to charge but I doubt ill get anytihng out of it... stopped by my bank on the way home and told them to stop all payments from them, even got them to refund the NSF and the fees I got hit with after my contract expired. Hopefully this won't go to collections, but I'm willing to fight this to the death, I can't believe businesses like this are allowed to operate I hope they go under.

We basically had the same issue. We even had a letter in writing from premier that our contract was done. But about a year later collections started calling about it. Good thing we had the letter signed from them to stop that collections call which came like 4 years later.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2008
1011 posts
104 upvotes
Send a registered letter to them cancelling your service and stating you do not authorize them to debit monies from your account. Copy your bank. This should stop the money flow, but not neccesarily exempt you from any contract requirements.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
2623 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto
thats the thing i finished my contract i have no requirements, theyre just blowing **** out their asses, my cancellation mysteriously didn't go through 3 times... i doubt that sending a letter will help cause it seems to me like they just lose all their paperwork
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4620 upvotes
GTA
Same crap with Goodlife in Oakville. Paid balance in full at cancellation time, now have a scummy collection agency calling twice a month. Ref's whistle is by the phone :)
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3172 posts
142 upvotes
Mississauga
Hugh Jass wrote: Same crap with Goodlife in Oakville. Paid balance in full at cancellation time, now have a scummy collection agency calling twice a month. Ref's whistle is by the phone :)
Why waste your breath? Get a fog horn instead. ;)
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2007
3043 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
Tape record those jerks next time, get the employee to say their name out loud, and the date confirming you are cancelling. Maybe keep a journal of all incidents?
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
2623 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto
http://www.thespec.com/specialsections/ ... ped/263155
Angry customers vent frustration
Local firm offers help, eyes class-action lawsuit
Natalie Alcoba and Nicole Macintyre
Email Story Email story
PrintPrint
Text SizeText Size Text SizeChoose text size
Report TypoReport typo or correction
(November 17, 2004) -- Dozens of disgruntled customers have stepped forward to voice complaints about the Premier Fitness chain as the Ontario government remains deadlocked over the passage of new consumer laws.

An investigative series by the Hamilton Spectator has generated more than 125 calls from Premier members who have experienced problems with the fitness chain's business practices.

Jim Watson, minister of consumer and business service, acknowledged yesterday in the legislature that current laws are not adequate to protect consumers "who get ripped off by certain fitness clubs from time to time." But he said nothing can change until all political parties work together to pass the new laws, which would increase consumer protection.

Until that happens, a Hamilton lawyer is offering to help consumers who have had problems with Premier Fitness. David Thompson of Scarfone Hawkins is also examining if a class action lawsuit against the fitness club is warranted and financial viable.

Thompson said his firm will give free advice to consumers with complaints against Premier. Clients will only be charged out-of-pocket expenses.

While Thompson can't guarantee consumers will get their money back, he said his firm will listen to their stories and advise what route they should take. If small claims court is advisable, Thompson said, the firm will help consumers with the process.

"They obviously have nowhere to turn," he said.

Thompson said he was motivated to help disgruntled Premier clients after he read their stories in a five-part Spectator series called Pumped. The series found hundreds of complaints and inquires have been filed against Premier Fitness, which is being investigated by Hamilton police for allegations it improperly withdrew money through members' pre-authorized payment plans. The company says improper member account activity has never occurred.

If a large number of people materialize with the same complaint about Premier, Thompson said his firm will look at pursuing a class action, as long as it is financially viable.

While one complaint of $75 wrongfully taken from an account wouldn't be worth pursuing, Thompson said, a thousand people with the same complaint would change the situation dramatically.

Scarfone Hawkins has guided numerous successful class action suits in recent years, including cases against London Life Insurance Company, Canada Post and Bell Canada. The firm is also currently pursuing a class action against Dr. Salim Daya and Hamilton Health Sciences Corp.

Thompson said the firm is also willing to help consumers who have already taken Premier Fitness to small claims court and won judgments against the fitness company, but have never received payment.

Consumers who have won a judgment have the ability to garnish the defendant's bank accounts, tie up properties or seize assets, he explained.

Judy Marsales, Liberal MPP for Hamilton West, raised The Spectator's series on the Premier Fitness empire in the Legislature yesterday, the second day in a row that Watson has been questioned on consumer rights. She said she's concerned about "potential scams from unscrupulous fitness club operators."

The Liberals tried for the second time to get unanimous consent from all parties to pass a bill Watson says would strengthen consumer protections.

The move was blocked. House leaders for the Liberals, Conservatives and NDP planned to meet this morning on how to move forward with the bill.

Watson said Bill 70, the measure he is trying to pass, would allow government to deal with issues highlighted in The Spectator. He began to try to fast-track the bill after the series began.

Several bundles of Hamilton Spectator's featuring the Pumped series were stolen yesterday. Jim McArthur, the Spectator's circulation sales manager, said seven stores in St. Catharines and Port Dalhousie reported bundles of newspapers taken from their doorsteps before they opened.

The same stores were visited on Saturday and Monday morning by someone who purchased every single copy of the Hamilton Spectator.
does anyone know anything about this lawsuit? this article was posted in 2004

this is really starting to creep me out...

taken from http://www.cbc.ca/newsatsixtoronto/MT/2 ... money.html
CBC missed a significant part of the gym membership rip-off -- trying to get the gym to stop taking money from your bank account or visa after you have legitimately terminated the agreement. After three trips to the gym to terminate, the last one to hand-deliver a termination leter, a fax to head office (copy of same letter), an 11 month gap in transacations before they re-started , and 2 stop-payments processed at my bank, I am now being threatened by a collection agency on behalf of Premier Fitness. The Hamilton Spectator ran an investigative series on these practices at Premier Fitness and its related companies in 2004. They are still doing it. I am fighting a membership I terminated in 2001. They are attempting to blackmail me with threats to my excellent credit if I don't pay up. I've never heard anything from them until receiving a call from a collection agency last week. I'm fighting it of course, but I shouldn't have to devote energy and attention to this. The moral of the story - when you terminate a fitness club membership, keep a copy of the paperwork - forever.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
2623 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto
ionic wrote: Send a registered letter to them cancelling your service and stating you do not authorize them to debit monies from your account. Copy your bank. This should stop the money flow, but not neccesarily exempt you from any contract requirements.
what exactly is a registered letter?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2008
6858 posts
220 upvotes
Ontario
Mugen123 wrote: what exactly is a registered letter?

Canada Post:
Registered Mail is a service offered to customers who require proof of mailing and/or proof of delivery for valuable mail items. The service provides customers with a mailing receipt and secures a signature, the printed name of the individual who signed for the item, and the date upon delivery of the item.
Costs around $7 I think.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
2623 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto
cant they just refuse to sign?
Nov 21, 2012
1 posts
I was an instructor at this particular location last year. I would not reccommend them to anyone. My paycheck bounced and I was hit with an NSF fee that was nearly the face value of my paycheck and head office wouldn't reimburse me, and I still have my final paycheck outstanding.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2944 posts
247 upvotes
Toronto
Premier Fitness is run by thieves. They gave me similar hard time when I was trying to not renew my membership.

They had all sorts of excuses like request a cancellation 90 days ago (which is excessive) and even after 90 days they will charge you an extra month and then they will "by mistake" renew your contract again and none of those correction they will do on phone but will require you to come in person.

Never ever go to Premier Fitness.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2944 posts
247 upvotes
Toronto
ephemera wrote: Another lesson learned. Next time, cash ONLY, give no a/c or CC info ever. If they don't accept it, go somewhere else
Their fee for cash payment is higher than CC payment.
Apr 11, 2007
385 posts
726 upvotes
Toronto
Premier Fitness is no longer in business. The Yorkdale location has a new owner and is now called "Yorkdale Fitness".
Feb 10, 2009
655 posts
27 upvotes
Same situation as OP happened to me with same location.

After my one year contract was up, I cancelled and got the cancellation in writing that it was to be cancelled as of so and so date (30 days after cancelling). After that date, I got one charge. I went in and told them, they said I didn't give 30 days. I showed them paperwork, they said they would fix it and send a cheque. Got one more withdrawal, put a stop payment, went back to the gym and got them to agree to send a cheque for TWO payments plus the stop payment charge (maybe 40 bucks total). No cheque ended up coming, but I cut my losses and moved on.

A couple months later I get a phone call from their head office saying that they were having some trouble getting my fees from the bank. I just about lost it. He asked for a copy of the paperwork. I faxed it over and again said they owe me money for the two payments plus a stop payment. He finally hung up. Again, a couple months later, they're like "we're sending you to collections". Again, I faxed over the form, went to see the GM of the gym and got it all sorted out, but didn't get back the money they owe me.

I get a call or email once in awhile from them asking me to come back. I keep reminding them they owe me money. Yeah, I get that it's not THAT person's fault, but my god that whole ordeal was painful.
Feb 10, 2009
655 posts
27 upvotes
It was a new member it looks like. I didn't notice because it was top of the page. Ah well.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2944 posts
247 upvotes
Toronto
Avenger wrote: Why bump this old thread when the company went kaput and doesn't exist anymore? This happened way back in April.
hmm..really? I think the gym at erinmills location in Mississauga is still called Premier Fitness