• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2008 5:39 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 11, 2005
995 posts
80 upvotes

Premium Buyers Club - Scam?

Sup peeps, not sure where to post this, but Off-Topic seems fitting.

Just wanted to through this out there, and perhaps looking for some advice since others may have gotten a similar call as well.

I received a telephone call from somebody named Sebastian from Premium Buyers Club stating that I have been selected to win one of 4 Fabulous prizes: Toshiba TV, 3 Night stay at a Marriott Hotel, a Vacation to somewhere, or a free 2 year lease for a select Cadillac automobile.

They did not require any information from me except to know if I was between the ages of 27-59 and that I have a 'lady friend' between the same age. They require me to show up at a specific address, 1510 Drew Road (Mississauga) to claim my prize and stay back for a 1 hour ceremony hosted by select partners (Ford, Toshiba...) with my 'lady friend'. They told me they got my information from either a contest I entered, or from a major retailer where I spent more than $50 at.

I took the rep's name, his manager's name and telephone number. Their website address is premiumbuyersclub.com, but its currently under construction. I did a quick google search, and noticed that they had a Telemarketing job offer listed on Kijiji.

So far, there seems like there's nothing to lose. I do not have to show them any photo ID, I do not have to pay for anything and they don't know my name yet. Outwardly, this seems like a scam, but I could be wrong. Has anybody else dealt with this Premium Buyers Club or can comment on their legitimacy.
Share:
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2007
1115 posts
24 upvotes
i think i remember reading about something similar where they make you come in to claim a prize but only after you sit through a few hours with a sales rep trying to sell you some products. But you're not required to buy anything and at the end you get your prize. If you gave in and bought a product from their sales rep, then they win!
[OP]
Dec 11, 2005
995 posts
80 upvotes
Thanks for the responses. I read through that thread and its pretty much the same. Now, I don't feel so bad I declined!
Jun 12, 2008
983 posts
160 upvotes
"If it sounds to good to be true, then it probably is."
Dec 30, 2004
4 posts
i just got a call from these guys yesterday! exact same offering of gifts - i was quite suspicious as the guy on the phone keeps asking me "ok? ok?". so i asked them how they got my info - which shopping mall etc, which they were not able to share with me. they insisted that they were just giving me a gift for nothing, that they only want me to come in so i can be a potential future customer (or something to that effect).

i also inquire where they were calling from - as the calling display shows up as 999-2997676 - i assume it's a telemarketer from overseas - when i asked the guy, he was quite offended - saying that he's calling from Toronto.

they were also insistent that I come in to their gift ceremony - but only at specific designated times - that night at 6pm or 8pm. who does legitimate business at late hours?! that and being a girl, i'm not really comfortable in going into a place/warehouse/store by myself. he also insist that i come with a boyfriend.

i think it's too good to be true - so i think i will choose to ignore this one.

is there an actual police report on these guys? i got the guy's name and "local" phone number. if anyone knows, send me the details and I will speak to the cops.
May 3, 2007
243 posts
290 upvotes
Toronto
I received the same phone call from this *Premium Buyers club* on the 17th asking the exact same thing if i was the age 27-59 blah blah and also telling me to goto that 1510 drew rd corner of dixie or some bs.

I have no idea what their intentions are but I never submitted my any entries or anything from this *Premium Buyers CLUB* I think its fully a scam but still curious of their intentions
Jan 31, 2006
182 posts
7 upvotes
I just got the same call from them. He asked me if I was in between 27-65 and I said yes, then he asked if my wife/gf was 27-65 and I said no. He was like no? I said no....so he hung up on me.....

I feel like George Constanza and the Sunshine Carpet Cleaners......
Jul 22, 2008
1 posts
Mississauga
I just received a call today. Same thing. My husband and I hesitantly agreed to what they were offering but as soon as I hang up, I went on line and came across this website and decided to call back to cancel the appointment.The lady Manager I was talking to had already given me gift claim # so when I called her to cancel and told her that I think it's a scam and not to call back she did not like it at all. They called back but did not pick up the phone. I hope it's the end of it.
Jul 25, 2008
601 posts
156 upvotes
Toronto
I just got a phone call today about this, seems very skeptical. The details were this:

Apparently I filled in a ballot at Zellers back in Dec 07 and they drawed my name. He said I have been chosen to win one of 4 prizes: 10 000$ cash, a trip for 4 for an Alaskan cruise for 10 days, a 42 inch Toshiba tv, and he didnt mention the other prize. He said I wouldnt have to pay anything, just drop by the office and speak to the receptionist and mention my claim number. He said the 10000 cash prize was sponsored by GM, Toshiba TV by Toshiba and nothing about the trip. When I would get to the office, I would have to answer a series of questions. Then he asked me why I would think theres no catch to this and said that its a form of advertisement for them and I would need to give 2 names I think just for them to advertise to.

He also asked if I was between 27-60 because I'm assuming the prize is only for those age groups. I lied and said I was 27 and gave my sister's name just in case. So apparently he forgot that my sister's name is not the matching name on the ballot and was expecting to see my sister for the meeting. He also asked some stuff about filling in the qualification sheet about relationship status and employment status.

Now the fishy thing is, he said that the company tried to email me the information but I didnt leave my email address and a fax number. Just my phone number. A fax number I can understand, but I always leave my email address. I prefer email notifications than phone calls anyway! He also stated the times of 6pm or 8pm to come pick up the prize. Those are not regular business hours!

The info he gave me was this: individual was named Justin and he is the verification manager and his contact number was 416 907 0430, Address is 1510 Drew Rd Unit #6, Dixie Rd Missisauga, and company was Premium Buyers Club.

Beware, definitely a scam!!
Jul 31, 2008
1 posts
Toronto
I got a call tonight from Premium Buyers Club as well. They told me that I filled out a form in a store (NEVER!) and that I won a prize. So I asked how they got my number as it's a mobile number that isn't published and I do NOT ever fill out ballots. He had no answer. I asked to be removed from their calling list, and they are supposed to comply. We'll see. Yes, he sounded like he was calling from overseas and it is a 999 number.
I checked it out on the web and it is a buying club for travel. Some people on this forum checked out the .com site and it is under construction. The actual site is a .NET address. Go to www.premiumbuyers.net and you will see what I believe is behind the calls.
I like the button that reads "Recent Price Winners". Price? Hmmm...
It reminds me of other "buying clubs" that have approached me in the past. Most buying clubs are a scam and end up costing the consumer more money.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2005
1625 posts
28 upvotes
Seems "Premium Buyers Club" does not like taking I'M NOT NOT INTERESTED for an answer. Two people called me 4 times over an hour or so.
If they are so keen on giving us nice prizes, they can mail them.
After all , they already have our addresses.

Others had similar (and worse) experience with calls from that #.

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-999-299-7643
Apr 11, 2008
193 posts
Uptown Toronto
I got called twice from the before in the last 30 days. The first time I was being polite, listened for a bit and told him I'm not interested. The second time got me extremely pissed so I literally told him to **** off.
I can't think of anything to put here so I'll just put a smiley face or two or three.
:razz: :lol: :)
× < >