Premium Custom Shutters

[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2006
2208 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto

Premium Custom Shutters

I know that this topic has been brought up many times, but I just wanted to revisit it because I am truly very satisfied with their service.

We moved into our house nearly 10 years ago and we had shutters from another company for all of our windows on the main floor. We finally decided to convert all of our drapery on second floor to shutters because we like shutters more but not very happy with the product from this other company.

We went to this new company called Premium Custom Shutters on Dixie & 401 two weekends ago without an appointment with all of our window measurements because I would like to install it myself to save (TRUE RFDer!).

We were greeted with smiles and a very friendly group of workers. They walked us through the display area and explained the differences between the California and Plantation shutters, the size of the louvers, and the type of hinges. We gave them our window measurements and they had a quote ready for us in about 15 minutes. Once we sat down with Ken to discuss the quote he offered us some bottled water to drink and a binder with pictures of their work to look at.

He gave us our quote - then offered us 15% off because we have more than 10 windows, another 2% off because of all the recommendations that brought us there, and another 3% off if we made a decision then and there. Because we are familiar with wood shutters and we had done a lot of research with other places - we knew that they had given us the best quote. So in total we ended up getting 20% off the quoted price - including the lifetime warranty on wood and 25 years on paint & workmanship. The price also included and any number of mid-rails, size of louvers, and any of the hinge types (white, nickel and brass). The best part is…INSTALLATION WAS FREE! (so much for my effort to save money on the installation!)

We then started discussing when they would be able to come to the house to make sure the measurements were correct - and he said he had the afternoon free - which worked well for us. They seem to be all about the customers - as they said that they will work around our schedule to do the measurements and the installation. They had installation dates available on the 18th of July which would have been only 6 business days after our order, but they said they would be ready.

On the installation date, our appointment was 12pm and the two installers were on time. They quickly brought all the shutters into the house and began installation. They were quick and efficient; all 14 windows were installed in about 2 hours. They cleaned up after themselves and showed us how to open and close the folding shutters (as to not bang any of the louvers).

All in all - customer service and price wise - I highly recommend Premium Custom Shutters for anyone interested in getting wood shutters. If anyone is going to be looking into shutters for their home, make sure to keep Premium Custom Shutters on your list.
129 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
1667 posts
381 upvotes
Oakville
So what was the approx cost of 14 windows? Do they only do wood?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2006
2208 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
jumbojones wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2011 9:00 pm
So what was the approx cost of 14 windows? Do they only do wood?

It all depends on the size of your window...our is fairly large and it cost us close to $2,000.

I am not sure if they offer anything else because I was only looking for hardwood shutters. You can call them up at 905-282-1326. Ask for Ken - great guy to deal with.

Or you can visit their show room in Mississauga...I think their address is on their website: pcshutters.ca
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2006
2208 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
Narutard wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2011 10:09 pm
what were the other places u looked at?
I have looked at a few places like: Shutters Canada in Scarborough, AWF in Concord, Mastercraft Shutters in Etobicoke, SunShade in Ajax, Hunter Douglas and all of the big box stores like Home Depot & Blinds to go. The only place we refused to look at was Star Custom because of the bad experience we had with or other shutters.

I am a woodworker hobbyist and Ken was kind enough to give me a tour of his manufacturing shop. I do like to research a lot when it comes to woodworking and I found that Premium Custom Shutters has the best price-to-quality ratio. In my search for shutters, I list a few items that I feel is important to me and they are:

Paint quality - I have had bad experience with crappy paint before so this is the most important to me - most places will not disclose the type of paint they use...PCShutters on the other hand, they were happy to share this info: they use Sherwin Williams Industrial Paint. Each shutters receive 1 coat of primer and 3 coats of paints.

Type of joinery used - They use 3/8" dowels. The dowels are 2 inches long! Each joint gets 3 dowels.

Type of wood - They use selected American Yellow Poplar

Size of wood - This is an important one...most people do not realize this...but they use the thickest louvers I have seen in the business - 3/8"...most places I have been to uses 5/16"...you may not think that make much of a difference...but compare them side by side and you will know what I mean...The chances of them warping is much lesser than those that uses 5/16".

The best part is...their price is less than HALF of most other places out there because they manufacture their own shutters.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
18652 posts
5308 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Maybe things turned out fine but whenever someone gives me one of these:

"3% off if we made a decision then and there."

Alarm bells go off in my head.

Has anybody talked to Cadillac Shutters?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2006
2208 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
BinaryJay wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2011 12:06 am
Maybe things turned out fine but whenever someone gives me one of these:

"3% off if we made a decision then and there."

Alarm bells go off in my head.

Has anybody talked to Cadillac Shutters?
I was thinking the same thing! but I wasn't complaining because their price before all of the discount is already better than all of the other places I have been to.
Nov 17, 2004
485 posts
11 upvotes
Milton
I just had shutters installed by Star this past week. I was very pleased with their service, installation and the quality of the wood shutters. They were very efficient and punctual, and although I did not shop around, I feel that the price was fair. I relied on the RFD recommendations and I have no issues whatsoever!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2006
2208 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
Ivamuphurs wrote:
Jul 29th, 2011 2:56 pm
I just got new home in Milton. My neighbors highly recommend about Stars Shutters and I already got a quote from them. For me, they look very friendly and professional, the price compared with Mars and KC Shutters, Stars is the best.
Honestly, I really want to go with Stars but you make me confused now. Can you tell me how is Premium Shutters, are they manufacturing and how long they open their business? I have never heard about Premium Shutters in the market.
I'm in new division and there are lots of junk businesses around. So Premium shutters honest and trustful? How about Mars and KC Shutters, do you know anything about them?
There is a reason why Mars & KC Shutters are more expensive...they don't make their own shutters.

Do yourself a favour, call PCShutters up to get your free quote. It doesn't hurt to shop around.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2006
2208 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
Nov 1, 2005
159 posts
8 upvotes
do the shutters keep out all light during the day. we have a toddler, and when hes nap in the day, he'll sleep longer if it's completely dark. we have black out drapes now, but he keep playing with it so we're thinking of changing to shutters. his room is facing west so it's pretty bright in the day.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2006
2208 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
stars78 wrote:
Jul 30th, 2011 3:56 pm
do the shutters keep out all light during the day. we have a toddler, and when hes nap in the day, he'll sleep longer if it's completely dark. we have black out drapes now, but he keep playing with it so we're thinking of changing to shutters. his room is facing west so it's pretty bright in the day.
Unfortunately, it will not keep all of the light out during the day...especially west facing windows.

The wider louvers shutters (4.5") should be able to block out 98% of it...but it won't be completely dark.
Mar 7, 2010
1 posts
1 upvote
Ontario
I didn't call Premium Custom Shutters yet, but I got the qouted from Star Custom Shutters is very good prices.
Jul 12, 2011
6 posts
MISSISSAUGA
virgoan wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2011 11:12 pm
I have looked at a few places like: Shutters Canada in Scarborough, AWF in Concord, Mastercraft Shutters in Etobicoke, SunShade in Ajax, Hunter Douglas and all of the big box stores like Home Depot & Blinds to go. The only place we refused to look at was Star Custom because of the bad experience we had with or other shutters.

I am a woodworker hobbyist and Ken was kind enough to give me a tour of his manufacturing shop. I do like to research a lot when it comes to woodworking and I found that Premium Custom Shutters has the best price-to-quality ratio. In my search for shutters, I list a few items that I feel is important to me and they are:

Paint quality - I have had bad experience with crappy paint before so this is the most important to me - most places will not disclose the type of paint they use...PCShutters on the other hand, they were happy to share this info: they use Sherwin Williams Industrial Paint. Each shutters receive 1 coat of primer and 3 coats of paints.

Type of joinery used - They use 3/8" dowels. The dowels are 2 inches long! Each joint gets 3 dowels.

Type of wood - They use selected American Yellow Poplar

Size of wood - This is an important one...most people do not realize this...but they use the thickest louvers I have seen in the business - 3/8"...most places I have been to uses 5/16"...you may not think that make much of a difference...but compare them side by side and you will know what I mean...The chances of them warping is much lesser than those that uses 5/16".

The best part is...their price is less than HALF of most other places out there because they manufacture their own shutters.
Hi, I am Lee from Star Custom Shutters, I am sorry to hear about your “ bad experience with Star Shutters”. We offer lifetime warranty on our workmanship and paint job as well. If you have had any problems with our shutters, you should contact us at Star Custom Shutters (905) 673-1053 from Monday - Saturday from 10am – 6pm. I will be more than happy to address your concern. We manufacture our own shutters and have been in business for over 10 years with thousand of happy returning customers, and with a great source of referral customers from highly recommended RFDers.

Thank you for your praises on the wood, paint, joinery, accessories and etc… as you may not know, we use the same kind of wood and dowel joining as same as they do. I really don’t know how their quality is any different from ours, as you claimed our “shutters are bad”.

I respect your decision to choose PShutters and happy to hear that you get a big discount. That is because you have not given us the chance to serve you. I think they may not busy and are able to accommodate you in the same day and able to delivery in 6 days from the day you ordered.

We are sorry for being unable to accommodate you for a quicker appointment because we are very busy in high season. Most of our customers are referred from highly satisfied repeated customers since we don’t do any advertisement. Our customers trust us and we take pride in our workmanship, that’s why it takes 4 weeks turnaround for delivery. We guarantee and stand behind our work and offer lifetime warranty. Of course, due to usage and weather condition which are beyond our control, some time shutters get damaged. All customers need to do is call us. We have been servicing customers for over 10 years, we would be happy to have you called us and fix your problem right away.

You mentioned you received free installation, as you may have known from your past experience with Star Custom Shutters, we also offer free installation too. From the day you order we guarantee the delivery date which no one in the industry is able to promise, because we manufacture our own shutters and is able to control the manufacturing plant, thus allowing us to guarantee our products / deliveries.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)