Home & Garden

Premium Custom Shutters

Apr 14, 2008
411 posts
22 upvotes
Mississauga
+1 We used Star Custom Shutters last year for 28+ windows or so. There were fantastic and everything was bang on in terms of measurements and delivery. Would use them again and have highly recommended them to our friends / RFD. We found Star Custom Shutters from RFD and the many positive reviews here. The shutters look great after a year and actually look almost exactly the same as the pic posted from the competitor (which is good to know).
leepham wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2011 5:02 pm
Hi, I am Lee from Star Custom Shutters, I am sorry to hear about your “ bad experience with Star Shutters”. We offer lifetime warranty on our workmanship and paint job as well. If you have had any problems with our shutters, you should contact us at Star Custom Shutters (905) 673-1053 from Monday - Saturday from 10am – 6pm. I will be more than happy to address your concern. We manufacture our own shutters and have been in business for over 10 years with thousand of happy returning customers, and with a great source of referral customers from highly recommended RFDers.

Thank you for your praises on the wood, paint, joinery, accessories and etc… as you may not know, we use the same kind of wood and dowel joining as same as they do. I really don’t know how their quality is any different from ours, as you claimed our “shutters are bad”.

I respect your decision to choose PShutters and happy to hear that you get a big discount. That is because you have not given us the chance to serve you. I think they may not busy and are able to accommodate you in the same day and able to delivery in 6 days from the day you ordered.

We are sorry for being unable to accommodate you for a quicker appointment because we are very busy in high season. Most of our customers are referred from highly satisfied repeated customers since we don’t do any advertisement. Our customers trust us and we take pride in our workmanship, that’s why it takes 4 weeks turnaround for delivery. We guarantee and stand behind our work and offer lifetime warranty. Of course, due to usage and weather condition which are beyond our control, some time shutters get damaged. All customers need to do is call us. We have been servicing customers for over 10 years, we would be happy to have you called us and fix your problem right away.

You mentioned you received free installation, as you may have known from your past experience with Star Custom Shutters, we also offer free installation too. From the day you order we guarantee the delivery date which no one in the industry is able to promise, because we manufacture our own shutters and is able to control the manufacturing plant, thus allowing us to guarantee our products / deliveries.
Jul 12, 2011
6 posts
MISSISSAUGA
ozymandias wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2011 5:46 pm
+1 We used Star Custom Shutters last year for 28+ windows or so. There were fantastic and everything was bang on in terms of measurements and delivery. Would use them again and have highly recommended them to our friends / RFD. We found Star Custom Shutters from RFD and the many positive reviews here. The shutters look great after a year and actually look almost exactly the same as the pic posted from the competitor (which is good to know).
I am Lee and thank you so much for your recommendation to your friends/RFD. As you know that your shutters are under warranty for 25 years, so please call us if there is any issue . Of course, you friends when they come to us will get a discount from your refferal, especially you when you order shutters from us again. Once again, thank you so much for your business.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6361 posts
193 upvotes
Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth. Based on this thread, I called PCShutters last week and spoke to Ken. I don't live near Mississauga but that was no problem. He said they go just about anywhere in Ontario so that was good. He said he could come Sunday (today) morning if that worked for me. He said he could come for 10, 10:30 or whatever worked for me. True to his word, he showed up on time. My place is not exactly the easiest place to find but Ken did find us.

He was very informative. Explained everything to us. No heavy pressure tactics. He was very pleasant. When he got to the door, he actually took his shoes off and wanted to leave them outside. I told him this wasn't necessary but he was very polite and wanted to be the least invasive possible. He had samples and he took his measurements and explained the differences and choices we could make. Al in all, a very nice guy.

Anyhow, we are very pleased thus far with Ken. He gave us an excellent price. We will actually be paying less than it would cost us for blinds and shades and you can see the quality in his samples. They will be installing on 16 September which is nice and quick. I will update once the installation is complete but I have a good feeling about this guy and his company. THANKS OP for the recommendation.
Aug 24, 2010
2 posts
hamilton
does anyone have a per sq price? The lowest quote I have been quoted is around $21 per sq and is maxxmarr shutters. How does this compare to Star or PC Shutters for price and quality.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2006
2208 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
cabbie444 wrote:
Sep 4th, 2011 3:12 pm
does anyone have a per sq price? The lowest quote I have been quoted is around $21 per sq and is maxxmarr shutters. How does this compare to Star or PC Shutters for price and quality.

I am pretty sure it is based on the number of windows and sizes. But based on my measurement & calculation. I am paid $16ish for my shutters
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6361 posts
193 upvotes
virgoan wrote:
Sep 4th, 2011 3:29 pm
I am pretty sure it is based on the number of windows and sizes. But based on my measurement & calculation. I am paid $16ish for my shutters

Yes, exactly. Mine ended up being around $15 a square foot. We had added 3 extra windows that we weren't going to get shutters for when we saw what a great price they are. We had been looking at roman shades, and honeycomb blinds and all of that sort of thing as we thought shutters would be far too expensive. Much to our suprise, the opposite is true. I can't wait to see how they're going to look! Again, thanks OP for the thread as without it I'd never have known about this place.
Jul 28, 2011
2 posts
If you pay $21 per sq, I think that's too high in the market. I went with Stars Shutters and it cost me much more lower than that. Why don't you try Stars Shutters for free estimate.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2006
2208 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
Ivamuphurs wrote:
Sep 14th, 2011 12:33 pm
If you pay $21 per sq, I think that's too high in the market. I went with Stars Shutters and it cost me much more lower than that. Why don't you try Stars Shutters for free estimate.

You just have to jump at every opportunity to try and promote yourself eh? How many accounts do you have on RFD?
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
3058 posts
392 upvotes
Ivamuphurs wrote:
Sep 14th, 2011 12:33 pm

shill.... :lol:

Great thread OP, going to have to check this place out, after my house closes in march.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6361 posts
193 upvotes
Thanks to the OP, I had called this company and I had Ken come out less than 2 weeks ago (two weeks Sunday) and he measured and gave a price. He came on a Sunday as it was convenient for me, and I don't live anywhere near Mississauga and in fact, I live northeast of Toronto but that didn't deter him. He came here, explained everything, took measurements and he couldn't have been nicer, more professional or polite. He gave us the price which was a very pleasant surprise as we had been looking into blinds and shades and in fact, the price he quoted was less than what it would have cost us to have the blinds and shades. (We're talking Hunter Douglas so yes, they do tend to be expensive). Anyhow, we were more than pleased with the quote and we agreed. Ken left with a deposit and a promise to return to install today, 16 Sept. between 10 and 11 .m.

True to his word, he showed up today at 10:15 with his helper and they brought all of the material in. They removed their shoes even though I insisted that it wasn't necessary but they would not hear of it. They actually left their shoes outside which I thought was so thoughtful, albeit unnecessary, but hey, it's the way they do things. The install went very well and unfortunately, we had neglected to move a few things out of the way which we had intended to do but forgot. NO PROBLEM. They removed them without saying a word and without whining or anything. Again, very professional. When I realized that I had forgotten to do these things, they inisisted it was no big deal.

They worked non-stop and they were tidy, made very little mess and any minor mess that was made (dust from the drill) they cleaned it up. The 15 windows were completed in around 4 or less hours and they look spectacular. These two guys, Ken and Nano (sp?) were fabulous and they go right on the top of my list of flawless and painless work that I've ever had done around my home. I would recomment them in a heartbeat and if you're looking for great shutters, great price, professional installers and salesman (he was not the least bit aggressive or hard-core) then this is the company for you.

No, I'm not a shill. You can see from how many posts I've made on here that I'm not new and I rarely make any sort of recommendation about any product so do yourself a favour if you're looking for a great company to do your shutters. You will not be sorry. THANKS OP, for the recommendation. MUCH APPRECIATED!!!
Dec 5, 2007
457 posts
25 upvotes
Hamilton
I agree 100% with the posts above from deltone and virgoan.

Based on this thread and the reviews on homestars, my wife and I just had Premium Custom Shutters install shutters throughout our house, and we were completely satisfied with the entire experience.

Ken and his staff are the most professional people you will ever deal with and the quality of the shutters is top notch.

10 day turnaround time is just crazy, but they did it!
Nov 9, 2011
564 posts
272 upvotes
Toronto
Does anybody know what kind of wood these guys are using? I went to amazing shutters and they quoted me $20/sq ft for MDF and finger jointed wood.. I am not a fan of these "engineered wood"
May 22, 2007
871 posts
111 upvotes
I just moved into a new house and I've been receiving flyers from these shutter/blind companies, and I was wondering if it is wrong of me to ask all the shutter companies come and do the measurements and provide me a quote all at once.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2006
2208 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
Deevusone wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2011 3:03 pm
I just moved into a new house and I've been receiving flyers from these shutter/blind companies, and I was wondering if it is wrong of me to ask all the shutter companies come and do the measurements and provide me a quote all at once.

There is nothing wrong with that...We all get multiple quotes...it's always wise to do your research. But I highly doubt you can get all of the companies to come in one day.
May 22, 2007
871 posts
111 upvotes
virgoan wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2011 3:19 pm
There is nothing wrong with that...We all get multiple quotes...it's always wise to do your research. But I highly doubt you can get all of the companies to come in one day.

Yeah. I know it'll be tough, but at least I can try and if I end up with a few companies coming on the same day/time, I can make a decision right then and there. I'm only available on Sundays and i don't want to wait for weeks, to find out which company has the best price before making a decision.