Home & Garden

Premium Custom Shutters

Apr 29, 2007
222 posts
9 upvotes
I have the PC wooden shutters from August. Still look great but this is really early for shutters. In the previous house I had cheaper (and vinyl) shutters from Bremmar for 9 years. No sag after the 9 years though almost all the magnetic latches had failed and I replaced them one by one.
This time I was sold on the wooden shutters but have a bit of regret because I learned that they need more maintenance. The bottom of the shutter is more porous and if your window has a lot of condensation on a particularly cold few winter days the water can absorb into the shutters and the paint can crack from swelling. That happened to one of mine. PC came right away and took it away to fix. The price these days is about the same between wood and vinyl. There was a time when vinyl was slightly more expensive due to the then high petroleum price.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1900 posts
189 upvotes
Mississauga
hmm...interesting...I've never thought about that....i'll have to pay close attention since i do get the occansional consensation
Oct 1, 2015
71 posts
1 upvote
Milton, ON
So from the recommendation of this forum I called Pc shutters for a quote and found them expensive than all of my other quotes they are expensive even more than KC blinds. I also called Ken and didn't find him very welcoming over the phone :(
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2236 posts
773 upvotes
Mississauga
milton75 wrote: So from the recommendation of this forum I called Pc shutters for a quote and found them expensive than all of my other quotes they are expensive even more than KC blinds. I also called Ken and didn't find him very welcoming over the phone :(
Care to elaborate? Being expensive has a broad interpretation. Was Ken $1500 more or $400 more and were you asking for additional discount to beat competitors price?

As someone mentioned earlier in this thread Ken came to the table with lowest price he could offer which saved me the hassle of BS haggling. His price was over 50% less than the highest quote I had which was Hunter Douglas shutters. He was not the cheapest but has a good reputation when it comes to after sale product warranty. He was the last of my quotes and we signed a contract right away.
I had no window covering from September to February so had enough time to shop around.

Here are pictures from my install earlier this month. Everyone who has seen them has been surprised at the lower than expected cost.

Feb 25, 2005
568 posts
20 upvotes
Is this the PC company that you guys are refering to in this thread? If yes, then I will call them for a quote. Thanks.

Premium Custom Shutters
WebsiteDirections
Window Treatment Store
Address: 5510 Ambler Dr #9, Mississauga, ON L4W 2V1
Phone :( 905) 282-1326
Hours: Open today · 7:30AM–6PM
Feb 17, 2007
155 posts
7 upvotes
Markham
Has anyone recently gotten shutters from PC? Will get a quote from them but any new reviews will be appreciated.

thanks in advance!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1651 upvotes
milton75 wrote: So from the recommendation of this forum I called Pc shutters for a quote and found them expensive than all of my other quotes they are expensive even more than KC blinds. I also called Ken and didn't find him very welcoming over the phone :(
I went with a company called Star Shutters, was cheaper than PC Shutters and budget blinds. So far so good happy with them, been over a yr no signs of fading.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Feb 25, 2005
568 posts
20 upvotes
aquariaguy wrote: I went with a company called Star Shutters, was cheaper than PC Shutters and budget blinds. So far so good happy with them, been over a yr no signs of fading.
My friend also recommended Star Shutters also. They are located in Mississauga. She had her wooden California shutters installed from them.

We were going to go with them but my parents from another company from their co-workers referral. They charge $20 per square feet for the California shutters that are a mix of wood and vinyl. The installer works for the company that makes the california shutter directly so he gets a better price.
Aug 28, 2008
26 posts
2 upvotes
I had PC shutter did my shutter last year. I am very happy about their work too. I also refer PC shutter to my friends. They are happy too.
Jul 28, 2007
105 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Got a quote for Star over the phone and they are coming tomorrow to measure and confirm pricing. I also had a local company come quote Eclipse and it was 3 times as much. Hoping to get PC to come next week for one last quote. Star told me they suggest wood as they can't guarantee Vinyl won't yellow from the sun over time. In my mind I think vinyl is easier to clean, we have a kid and a dog.

How are everyone's shutters holding up from either Star or PC? We started talking about star shutters like 8yrs ago on this forum. I hope some of those people are still around.
Mar 7, 2011
955 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto
xtreme88 wrote: Got a quote for Star over the phone and they are coming tomorrow to measure and confirm pricing. I also had a local company come quote Eclipse and it was 3 times as much. Hoping to get PC to come next week for one last quote. Star told me they suggest wood as they can't guarantee Vinyl won't yellow from the sun over time. In my mind I think vinyl is easier to clean, we have a kid and a dog.

How are everyone's shutters holding up from either Star or PC? We started talking about star shutters like 8yrs ago on this forum. I hope some of those people are still around.
I had wooden California shutters installed by Star's about 6 years ago. The panels itself are still fine. No fading or yellowing or chipped paint but the wooden frames have chipped paint and black mold from the condensation during cold winter days. Wooden blinds are hard work to maintain. You have to ensure no water condensation sits on the frame for a longer time or you get what happened to mine.
I would not recommend wooden shutters in bedrooms as there will be more condensation than in bigger rooms, such as family room.
I would use them again but only for common-used areas. Not for bedrooms. There I would use curtains. Hope this helps.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2236 posts
773 upvotes
Mississauga
xtreme88 wrote: Got a quote for Star over the phone and they are coming tomorrow to measure and confirm pricing. I also had a local company come quote Eclipse and it was 3 times as much. Hoping to get PC to come next week for one last quote. Star told me they suggest wood as they can't guarantee Vinyl won't yellow from the sun over time. In my mind I think vinyl is easier to clean, we have a kid and a dog.

Search posts by OP. He's had both Star and PC
Mar 7, 2011
955 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto
So bumping up this thread as I'm in need of shutters for my new place now. As I posted previously, i had Star's install my California shutters at my old place many years ago and the paint quality of their paint wasn't great. I'm considering going with PC shutters this time if their prices are compatible. Has anybody used PC recently and can tell me what the current going rate is per square foot? I paid about $14-15 per square foot back then when Star's installed them at my old house. Thanks.
Penalty Box
Jan 27, 2014
4793 posts
1896 upvotes
Around how much for California shutters installed on standard breakfast area leading to backyard sliding door?
Mar 7, 2011
955 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto
ar2020 wrote: Around how much for California shutters installed on standard breakfast area leading to backyard sliding door?
It depends on the size of your windows. There's no "one price for all" kinda thing.