Home & Garden

Premium Custom Shutters

Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2007
3032 posts
1083 upvotes
Mississauga
I just got a new condo and will be using for rental purpose.
I just started researching and in dilema to go for Shutters or Blinds. Ofcourse price is important but also quality should be the primary objective due to tenant usage.
I have the following sizes and would love to have your recommendation on the bang for the buck product.
101.5"x74.2" Hall
43"x74.2" Hall
33.5"x72" Bedroom
PS: any other cheaper alternatives to shutters/blinds ??
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3678 posts
820 upvotes
My review of PC shutters, my parents house, after 4 years, Condition is still perfect. The only issues, two shutters, for 4 of the louvers, the clip came off that hold the wand that makes the louvers go up and down. Need to glue in the clips. KENT IS GETTING THAT FIXED ON SITE

The paint quality, is still looks like from day one.

One shutter just above the faucet, you see a bit of paint at the bottom chipping/cracking. I won't count it against them, since, It always gets water splashed atleast 10x a day, every day, so after 4 yrs of water abuse, the paint cracks.

Just noticed two other shutters also have paint cracking at The bottom. BUT KENT IS HAVING THEM REPAINTED, they back their products.

To be fair, peeling is a result of years of water exposure /condensation
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
29332 posts
10712 upvotes
Hamilton
Looking to put in Cali Shutters in our home but know nothing about them.

Who and where has the best bang for your buck?

just sent a email to Ken at PC Shutters
hated on but respected.
Sep 10, 2017
1 posts
This was our first time purchasing shutters in the Toronto area and after multiple consultations/quotes from different vendors, we chose Stars Custom Shutters for the price point and quality of construction. However, having been through this process before, what impressed us the most was the responsiveness of the Stars Custom Shutters team. These guys are a class act. Will definitely recommend to friends/family.

x9 wooden shutters with 3/12 inch louvers
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
1490 posts
336 upvotes
to folks comparing the prices from Star and PC, to those of Hunter Douglas or Eclipse which are the ones installed by Fasada etc. The reason there is a price difference of over >50% is because of the type of wood being used. There is definitely some premium marketing dollars in HD/eclipse.

I'd be very interested in seeing reviews of owners who have had both higher end shutters and those offered by Star and PC. How have they performed over time?

For context we are in the market for shutters, we have had a HD quoted at 17k for our 20 windows.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
3117 posts
1665 upvotes
Can someone give an idea of the prices they are being charged? Very suspicious that we never seem to get a solid answer out of accounts in these kinds of threads.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3681 posts
2388 upvotes
Mississauga
hi-tech wrote: Can someone give an idea of the prices they are being charged? Very suspicious that we never seem to get a solid answer out of accounts in these kinds of threads.
What not just call them? They give free quotes after free in house measurement.

My whole house (9 windows + patio door) was under $3000 but it is based on sq ft. I posted a few pictures that show my window size a few pages back.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
hi-tech wrote: Can someone give an idea of the prices they are being charged? Very suspicious that we never seem to get a solid answer out of accounts in these kinds of threads.
Like the clear advertisement 4 posts up from a guy with zero post history?
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
1490 posts
336 upvotes
ok, here's a price $6,500 - now make what you will from that price.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6367 posts
245 upvotes
I don't go on RFD much anymore but decided to peak in today and saw this old thread had been revised.

Just want to have an update on my blinds. First of all, SHOCKED that I had my blinds installed 7 years ago. If you had asked me earlier, I would have said that they were installed around 3 years ago. Where did the time go?

Anyhow, my blinds are holding up perfectly. They look as good as they did the day they were installed Paint is the same, no yellowing or chipping. As someone else said, on one blind, a clip came out and we keep sticking it back in. I suppose I could call Ken and have him fix it but feel it's a long way for him to come to fix something that's nothing more than a very minor inconvenience.

All in all, STILL very pleased with our decision to go with PC Shutters. If we move, I will again get shutters and will not hesitate to call PC Shutters. Heck, not even sure what they charge now but whatever it is, I assume they're still fair and reasonable. Anyone on the fence......JUMP on it. You won't be sorry!!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)