[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2006
3791 posts
16390 upvotes
TORONTO

Prenatal Classes in Scarborough

Hello,

Any recommendations for good prenatal classes for first time parents in Scarborough area? Also, are there free prenatal classes available in Scarborough area?

Thanks.
7 replies
May 5, 2010
107 posts
5 upvotes
I would suggest calling your local public health department for prenatal class options.

I know that some hospitals (Scarborough Hospital) offers them through a third party, but it's not free.

If you do it through Public Health (which was what I did via York Region Public Health), it's much cheaper. But i'm not sure if Toronto/Scarborough offers them anymore....

York Region only charges $42.

Maybe this link will help you?
http://www.newlifeprenatal.org/freeinthecommunity.htm

Congrats to you!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2006
3791 posts
16390 upvotes
TORONTO
Thanks.

I was looking for classes that do not last for long periods, I mean I prefer short term classes that will be over in a course of about 2 weeks or less.
Please suggest a few good ones.

Also, are these classes necessary, what if I skip them? Are they really recommended?
May 5, 2010
107 posts
5 upvotes
They do last long, the ones offered by York Region via Public Health gave you 2 options:

2 saturdays x 6hrs each class
or
8 classes x 2 hrs each class (offered during the week)

They are helpful. My husband and I learned a lot during our classes -- it just prepares you and informs you of what's to come.

I would recommend that first time parents definitely take the course, it's quite helpful and informative.

I'd keep looking around to see what you can find (in terms of shorter classes).. but they do have a lot of material to cover so i'm not sure if you can find something that covers all you need to know in one session.
Mar 10, 2007
257 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
I did prenatal classes with New Life. It was great. Although when it was time for birth, I forgot everything I learned.

I don't really think prenatal classes are necessary. There's so much info on the internet that you can probably just read it online. You can save the money and use it towards baby stuff instead. You can simply youtube how to change a newborn's diaper. How to bathe a newborn.

Many of my friends who took the classes from other places also thought it was a bit useless.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2006
3791 posts
16390 upvotes
TORONTO
I am quite confused over the decision to take the classes or not. I feel really tired nowadays, and the classes seem too long.
Aug 29, 2010
16 posts
I recommend checking out a few books from the library. I did that and took a class. Because of the reading, I knew all the stuff from class already. So for me, the class was a waste since it wasn't a hands on class.
Mar 10, 2007
257 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
Well the good thing about prenatal class is that you and your hubby can attend it. It's a great way for him to learn about the stuff involved in birthing and caring for the newborn. Most men probably won't be so keen about reading this stuff online or from a book so this may force him to sit through it. However, you do get hands on experience in swaddling, changing diapers on a baby doll though. But definitely not something you can't learn at home via online video.

But really, everything they teach in the class can be read from a book (great read if you're commuting to and from work via public transit).

If you want to save money, I'd say forget about the classes. Use the money towards something for the baby instead.
× < >